Lethargic bottle calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacksonduper

Reaction score
Good morning,
I have a week old bottle calf that I had to take from Mom as it wasn't able to suck. I took her on day two so I don't think she got colostrum. It was not an option to milk mom as it is unsafe as she is crazy! We have been bottle feeding her for a week today and she is eating 5-6 qts per day total in three feedings. My question is as follows. She is lethargic and we need to help her up sometimes and then she can stand on her own to eat. Also sometimes not always we will find her laying flat on her side when we go to feed her. She will walk around some after we stand her up but very slowly. Any ideas. I'm going to take her temp now. Is she low on something? Can I give a shot. I have bottle feed a number of calfs over the years and she just doesn't seem right!

Joe

Jacksonduper said:
Good morning,
I have a week old bottle calf that I had to take from Mom as it wasn't able to suck. I took her on day two so I don't think she got colostrum. It was not an option to milk mom as it is unsafe as she is crazy! We have been bottle feeding her for a week today and she is eating 5-6 qts per day total in three feedings. My question is as follows. She is lethargic and we need to help her up sometimes and then she can stand on her own to eat. Also sometimes not always we will find her laying flat on her side when we go to feed her. She will walk around some after we stand her up but very slowly. Any ideas. I'm going to take her temp now. Is she low on something? Can I give a shot. I have bottle feed a number of calfs over the years and she just doesn't seem right!

Joe

Probably not low on anything, but calves that don't get anything to eat for the first 24-48 hours of life often aren't quite right. It's pretty common for them to get infected navels, joints, pneumonia, etc. If she's got a fever consult with your vet about antibiotics.

You might try Vitamin B Complex, Nursemate ASAP or even just a little molasses for energy. I'm assuming she isn't a preemie or has contracted tendons? Sometimes they're a little lethargic and exercise/physical therapy helps them gain strength.

Hopefully her temp is normal (101.5) and good luck, keep us posted.

MurraysMutts said:
That also seems like an awful lot of milk for a newborn. Usually have to work at it to get em to take 2 qts twice a day.
It's possible shes way overfull.
Any scours?

6 quarts is what a week old calf ought to be eating, unless they're really small.

Buck Randall said:
MurraysMutts said:
That also seems like an awful lot of milk for a newborn. Usually have to work at it to get em to take 2 qts twice a day.
It's possible shes way overfull.
Any scours?

6 quarts is what a week old calf ought to be eating, unless they're really small.

I gotcha. We need a weight.
How big is said calf?
I've always heard a hungry bottle calf is a healthy bottle calf. Usually they come a running for that bottle after about a week. I've always fed 2 times a day. Scheduling issue.
That's why it seemed like a lot of milk to me.
Almost always takes a week or so to get em to take it all too

Jacksonduper said:
Has a temp of 103.2. Consulting vet about antibiotics.

How did you make out?

I have had a few calves that came to me 48 hours old with empty bellies. Similar pattern of illness to what you are describing. Its interesting but each one ended up with either navel or joint ill.

Jacksonduper said:
Temp was 103.2. What antibiotics can I give and how much? I'm consulting vet as well.
What did your vet say? Which antibiotic is contingent on the symptoms. Other than being lethargic and having a temp, does she have a snotty nose, runny eyes, droopy ears, breathing hard or raspy? That would indicate pneumonia and you would need an antibiotic specifically for respiratory (Nuflor, Resflor Gold, Baytril, Draxxin, etc) and Banamine to reduce the fever. But if she has a swollen navel, joints or other symptoms your vet may recommend a more broad spectrum antibiotic.

Oh Lord that's all I'm feeding my 2 month old calves. Should it be more? I feed 2 quarts 3 times a day.
2 qts
3 times a day, for a total of 6 qts, is perfectly sufficient

I've always fed a 2 qt bottle in the morning.
And a 2 qt bottle in the evening.

Calves always seemed to do ok!

But I have heard lots of folks feed 3 times a day. I could never make it work.

Good morning,

Joe
You've gotten some good advice so far from others... but my concern is with the lack of colostrum. I'm a big believer in a calf getting their first milk from Momma.

What about getting the cow in a headgate, or even better a squeeze? Get a rope on her front and back and stretch her out? Milk the cow and if you get too much for the calf's first meal you can always refrigerate it. I would freeze some whenever I had a chance to milk a fresh cow. If the calf has been removed for a week it may be too late, but I doubt it. A quart of colostrum may be something that would help.

You've gotten some good advice so far from others... but my concern is with the lack of colostrum. I'm a big believer in a calf getting their first milk from Momma.

What about getting the cow in a headgate, or even better a squeeze? Get a rope on her front and back and stretch her out? Milk the cow and if you get too much for the calf's first meal you can always refrigerate it. I would freeze some whenever I had a chance to milk a fresh cow. If the calf has been removed for a week it may be too late, but I doubt it. A quart of colostrum may be something that would help.
August 30th of 2020

If it hasn't gotten colostrum by now......
😝

We never did hear an outcome. Hate that.

Oh Lord that's all I'm feeding my 2 month old calves. Should it be more? I feed 2 quarts 3 times a day.
They'll be fine, assuming you're feeding them calf starter grain. By 2 months they should be eating enough grain that they're not dependent on the milk replacer.

They'll be fine, assuming you're feeding them calf starter grain. By 2 months they should be eating enough grain that they're not dependent on the milk replacer.
They won't eat the calf starter. They took a few nibbles from it when I first put it out and haven't messed with it since. I've tried the Calf Manna and the Purina Precon. They eat hay and I haven't let them out with the herd yet so they're not getting a lot of grass.

They won't eat the calf starter. They took a few nibbles from it when I first put it out and haven't messed with it since. I've tried the Calf Manna and the Purina Precon. They eat hay and I haven't let them out with the herd yet so they're not getting a lot of grass.
I really don't get the whole grain thing with baby calves... If they are eating hay or grass that's all they need.

I really don't get the whole grain thing with baby calves... If they are eating hay or grass that's all they need.
I guess I should clarify my earlier post.
I've usually got bottle calves as winter projects. No fresh grass available.

So I wean from milk on grain and minimal hay. The best hay I can provide. Gets the rumen working. By the time spring grass is coming on, the rumen is developed enough I can let em graze with the rest of the herd. Depending on size, development etc, I decide whether or not to continue with the grain.
The cow pictured above is a calf I raised from birth that way. She's raising 2 calves as a first calf heifer. She will be 3 years old next month.
The sooner they eat a few pounds of grain a day, the sooner ya can get em off that dadgum expensive milk replacer. Grain is much cheaper.
Often times, grass and hay does not have sufficient nutrition for the baby calf to thrive.
They will eat tons and tons of grass and end up potbellied. I've even seen em die. Granted that was only once, and it wasnt my calf.

O! And just a tip.. @jruppe89
Keep FRESH starter out. Even if it's just a cupful or 2. Fresh every day. They seem to get started on it better.

I've also penned em up without milk for as long as a full day. The light bulb usually comes on and they decide they'd kinda like to eat something.

Last edited:
The sooner they eat a few pounds of grain a day, the sooner ya can get em off that dadgum expensive milk replacer. Grain is much cheaper.
Often times, grass and hay does not have sufficient nutrition for the baby calf to thrive.
They will eat tons and tons of grass and end up potbellied. I've even seen em die. Granted that was only once, and it wasnt my calf.

O! And just a tip.. @jruppe89
Keep FRESH starter out. Even if it's just a cupful or 2. Fresh every day. They seem to get started on it better.

I've also penned em up without milk for as long as a full day. The light bulb usually comes on and they decide they'd kinda like to eat something.
Haha! I've been thinking about taking a feeding a day away to see if that will kick start them better and encourage eating better. I may also try to put a little sweet feed in to encourage it.

Latest posts