let me know what you think of this heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

cattle gal

Reaction score
this is my 2007-2008 show heifer she is a 12-16-2005 calf she is charbray angus x and i am looking to breed her the end of april so she will have a calf for my senior year of show . let me know what you think of her

P1010041.jpg

i am not sure of what to breed her to yet so give me your opinion she weighs about 900 lbs right now she has a show in 2 days and then will show in april and what ever shows i can find leading up to the end of my senior year. after my senior year of showing she will have one year left and my little brother will probably show her that year in youth . but let me know what you thing of her . when she is 100 % clean you can see that she is actually an off white with really white legs with grey sports on them and she has a big white diamond on her face
this picture didnt fully down load but you can see the most of her

She look fairly deep but I wish her tail bone was a little higher. It looks as if she slopes from hooks to pins. But overall she is an alright heifer. If you want a club calf, breed her to Kadabra or sunseeker and you might get a neat lookin smoky calf. But I would stay with calving ease so Northern Improvement or Juneau might be a better choice.

She look fairly deep but I wish her tail bone was a little higher. It looks as if she slopes from hooks to pins. But overall she is an alright heifer. If you want a club calf, breed her to Kadabra or sunseeker and you might get a neat lookin smoky calf. But I would stay with calving ease so Northern Improvement or Juneau might be a better choice.

is she breed yet? her udder looks full? pretty!!! deeper in the rear flank and more covering on her ribs, but she will be pretty good.

well im not really looking to breed her to anything reg i am more of looking for just a commercial bull cause i dont do much in the reg cattle area im mostly commercial cattle i am looking at a pinz. bull right now to breed her to but not sure yet.she has a bunch of fat on her ribs and thats why they stand out so much its kinda weird she is the first heifer ive ever had that did that. her udder has been big since the day she was born i think it may be cause she is 1/4 dairy and her mom always has a big bag . the vet says cause of her breed and having the little dairy in her that she will have very nice milk production for her calves shes got a show this saturday at the sumter county fair i will post how she does when i get back from the show

shes alright......she will be good cow but she isnt flashy enough to be good show heifer....i agree with breeding her to a club calf to get a smokey calf...that would probably be your best bet if you are planning on using it for show your senior year

here are some pictures from the show we went to saturday we placed 7th out of 7 in the actuall class but i personally feel that the judge didnt know what he was doing cause alot of kids that placed lower in the class with heifers should have been placed higher i watched heifer go in there that took grand or reserve in other countys just weeks before this show that went and took 4 and 5 in there classes against heifers that didnt compare . i felt for my first time showing there with this particular heifer i did well . the judge ,about a month before the show i kinda got into an argument with him when he was at another event so the whole show was probably not on my side but i still had fun showing

cattlepictures153.jpg

this is a picture of us in the ring

cattlepictures159.jpg

and this picture was taken shortly after are two shows were over she was so tired

i have a question -- do you think its right for the judge to be judging his own kids and cattle in the showring against other kids ?

No i personally do not think it fair for a judge to have his/her own kids competing in a show they are judging. Not only could it affect you, but the judges' children as well. Their kids may have the best animal, but may not win because the parent/judge does not want to get rumors started....but there is the occaional judge who does not care and is there to please himself....thats the unfair parts... I live in Arkansas and show Angus, there is ABUNCH of politics in showing here. just recently i went to a show where supreme animals won $1000 and reserve supreme won $500. All the people that won were friends, kin to each other, and owned the same ranch...in Indiana. The judge was also their friend and thats why they won everything but hte goats b/c they didnt have one..not cool...newaz he was supposed to be judging my hometown's show...even worse...ppl were threatening to come find him and show him how they really felt about him....scary much...newaz they fired him and got a real judge!!! But my opinion goes both ways on the whole parent judging thing!!

this was the sumter county fair youth shows . ya she is off to breeding right now with a reg charlais bull he looks really good and i feel he will inprove on what she is missing for as far as a show cow goes she has been there for two days and the guy just called me today and said he got her come get her he also said that the bull never misses a cow even in a herd of 40. but she will also be shown at hernando county fair the end of april along with her brother and two other charbray heifer i just got . the two calves i just got , this heifers sire is there uncle

richburg102: you planning on comeing down to the hernando show this year ?

she is supposed to be doing it this week but she has been really busy but the show is on friday the 20th arrival is from 9 am to 12 noon and the show starts at 6 pm

have you ever been to the herando show before?
they are actually going to pay better this year than last year . i remember last year i took reserve grand champion with this heifers brother and i only got like 6.00 for it in award moneys but i guess this year they are upping it from 20 % to like 40 %

Hernando pays pretty well. Payout is a percentage of entries and there was only two commercial bulls in the show last year so thats why the payout for Reserve Commercial Bull was so low. Heifers and showmanship paid good.

The judge that was supposed to judge Sumter did not show up. Therefore they had to find someone that morning to judge the show, and the man they got was the only one there and qualified. He judged fairly and placed his son where he should have in the class which was near the middle.

the show is the 20 of april but the entrys have to be in by the 13th of april i have all the show entry forms if you want one i can send them to you via email .

i found out shortly after the show had ended that day that the judge didnt show and thats why they used the feed rep. but i still think it wasnt right they should have had a back up judge just for cause i know our county does and so does the show in georgia im attending . but either way it was a fun show day . i will try to get pictures of the bull i had the heifer bred to and post them .

any body have any input < i have a walnut charbray heifer she is just weaning age and is eating feed great and is drinking her water great but her flanks are not filling no matter what time of day it is she always looks sunk in i have tried uping her salt and she drinks more but never enough to even think about filling up her sides any body ever run across anything like this ? any input would be much abliged

hey cattle gal how many animals were in the show last year? can we leave right after the show? are they doing steers?

i cant really recall how many they had but there was a pretty good turn out your able to leave right after the show the steers dont come in till the next day cause they dont do prospect steers only county auction steer .

Latest posts