Lepto question

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
If a bull has had a lepto shot and then breeds a cow that has lepto, does he then spread it to other cows? I've thought he would spread it even if he's had a shot, but these problems are new to me.

I think it would be unlikely, from what I remember urine is the main source of infection. It contaminates the pasture and then grazing animals pick it up. I guess it is possible for him to mechanically transfer the Leptospires from a urine contaminated genital tract to another cow but whether infection would spread through the mucous membrane of the genital tract I don't know, it is certainly not the usual method of transfer as far as I am aware.
Ken

Thanks, I may have gotten some bad information, this is new stuff to me, but I had been told that bulls would spread it.

I've never heard that lepto could be spread this way,wonder if the person has'nt got lepto confused with tric as there is a lot of talk going around and apparently it is and has finally attracted multi-state interest? Had a bad run of lepto in feedlot type situation maybe 50 years ago. Have always vaccinated for it since and never even thought ofit for a long time. One thing to consider and find out about. A thing that showed up this year is poor and unreadable bang's tatoo's. If a cow here shows up without a readable tatoo she cannot leave the state as a breeding animal. The $ difference can be substantial and only because some vet did'nt bother to correctly tattoo. We demand that these tattos be readable and have some vet's that question our reason's.But,like a brand it is the only proof that the heifer was indeed vaccanated .Everyone should encourage their vet's and their tech's to do a good job as down the road this can and will come back on someones doorstep to haunt them.

Latest posts