Lending question

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1t4iilnk said:
ddd75":1t4iilnk said:
Brute 23":1t4iilnk said:
It is beyond me why you would want a zero down loan if you have cash in your hand.

no shame in admitting it.

Inlighten me.... but you better bring some thing better than that I can make more than they charge me in interest bs

obviously you don't have the capacity to figure it out, so I'm not going to try. Go read a finance 101 book and that might help a little.

Brute 23":b3yg77jf said:
It is beyond me why you would want a zero down loan if you have cash in your hand.

I think there are three main camps of thinking on land leverage:

1) Minimum down to maximize return in an up market. I think Trump would be all in on this.
2) Enough down so the ag production cash flows. My banker is all in on this. The most common way to make land pay here is organic dairy and most can not/will not do this.
3) Subdivide, put what you want down, and then work out to pay the mortgage. Sad...

ddd75":2846mqm8 said:
Brute 23":2846mqm8 said:
ddd75":2846mqm8 said:

Inlighten me.... but you better bring some thing better than that I can make more than they charge me in interest bs

obviously you don't have the capacity to figure it out, so I'm not going to try. Go read a finance 101 book and that might help a little.

Naw... your sooo smart. Come on. Don't crawfish now.

Just what happened is what most people do. Yall try to sound smarter than yall are by repeating some thing you heard, from some one else, trying to sound smart.

That playing the interest stuff is bs when you apply real world, not book, numbers to it. Best.... absolutely best, case scenario is you have risked a whole paid for asset to make 1 or 2%... at best... if every thing goes perfect. That is re-dic-u-lous. You put up collateral at maybe $2 to $1 in order to make peanuts on that money... at best. AND, if you really are soo great at making money, it should not be any issue to put the money down since you should be flush with cash from all those profits. Real wealthy people are looking for places, like land, to squirrel away money.

The reality is most people who buy zero down do not have the available cash... and that's ok... but own that. Say I don't I have the cash to put down and fulfill my other obligations. Don't try to sound smart and act like you are playing some interest game that does not exist.

I have actually heard some legit reasons for people buying zero down but they all involved people being flat out honest with what they were trying to do... not hiding behind financial books.

ddd75":2dhy9t2g said:
Brute 23":2dhy9t2g said:
ddd75":2dhy9t2g said:

I think we'd rather hear your ideas on it. I've lived the "book". Now tell us why "please".

Can land keep going up at the rate it has? Land investment is not as liquid if you need money and need to sell quick. Land has a cost to it each year in taxes. Also if I doubled the amount of land I would also have to double the management of the land to make it pay. When you are working at 100% of your ability and you take on more responsibility then some areas will be neglected. Just my thoughts on how to keep your head above water. I know some persons in my area that has bought and expanded and had to buy 1/2 of the land back after a divorce.

The most interesting borrowing situation I've heard of was buying cattle on a credit card with 0% interest for 1 year, 25% interest if not repayed in 1 year. Basically just cash flowing everything in a year. They must've gotten that from the book of bad ideas :shock:

hurleyjd":bycy0qzt said:
Can land keep going up at the rate it has?

Ag land is not going up here - - because it does not cash flow and outside investors want more fertile rentable soil. Most would be sellers are not motivated so death or divorce is what usually puts land on the market.
If interest rates ever go up land demand would drop and/or the government would default on debt.
Meanwhile, the aggressive xxxxx sub divide into ranchettes and get more $ that way. So they are getting more per acre for building sites.

RanchMan90":3qz81syp said:
The most interesting borrowing situation I've heard of was buying cattle on a credit card with 0% interest for 1 year, 25% interest if not repayed in 1 year. Basically just cash flowing everything in a year. They must've gotten that from the book of bad ideas :shock:

Was it Trump?

Stocker Steve":2oujhhqf said:
RanchMan90":2oujhhqf said:

Was it Trump?
It was a very like-minded pretty successful fellow. What do you think about that?

Cross-7":1turh3ou said:
whether I should pay off my current place and use it as collateral when I find another place
Or keep cash on hand
You have the (rare) ability to pay off your debt and tell the bankers to kiss your ass, I know what I would be doing. We are conditioned to be perpetual debt slaves. Having debt freedom has to be worth something vs. missed (possible) opportunities.

Not an answer to your question I know, not trying to derail your post.

RanchMan90":3ldaykt2 said:

I know a guy who buys trucks that way. He'll buy one with a credit card then when the year is almost up he'll pick another 0% for one year card out of the junk mail and activate it and pay off the other card with that. By doing that his truck isn't financed so he saves on insurance and pays no interest. Not for me but he seems to like it. I'd get busy and forget to redo it and get hit by the high interest.

Brute 23":q03teaqs said:
ddd75":q03teaqs said:
Brute 23":q03teaqs said:

Just what happened is what most people do. Yall try to sound smarter than yall are by repeating some thing you heard, from some one else, trying to sound smart.

That playing the interest stuff is bs when you apply real world, not book, numbers to it. Best.... absolutely best, case scenario is you have risked a whole paid for asset to make 1 or 2%... at best... if every thing goes perfect. That is re-dic-u-lous. You put up collateral at maybe $2 to $1 in order to make peanuts on that money... at best. AND, if you really are soo great at making money, it should not be any issue to put the money down since you should be flush with cash from all those profits. Real wealthy people are looking for places, like land, to squirrel away money.

The reality is most people who buy zero down do not have the available cash... and that's ok... but own that. Say I don't I have the cash to put down and fulfill my other obligations. Don't try to sound smart and act like you are playing some interest game that does not exist.

I have actually heard some legit reasons for people buying zero down but they all involved people being flat out honest with what they were trying to do... not hiding behind financial books.

you obviously have it all figured out... :clap: :lol2:

5%...6%... 2:1... every situation, every person.. you have it all figured out.. no info needed even!

congrats.

Jogeephus":1ti3xrnw said:
RanchMan90":1ti3xrnw said:

I know a guy who buys trucks that way. He'll buy one with a credit card then when the year is almost up he'll pick another 0% for one year card out of the junk mail and activate it and pay off the other card with that. By doing that his truck isn't financed so he saves on insurance and pays no interest. Not for me but he seems to like it. I'd get busy and forget to redo it and get hit by the high interest.

Had a co-worker who went to the bank to get a construction loan to build a house. A young banker told him to just get as many credit cards as possible and to charge everything and make minimum payments until he was done and then come back and they would give him a loan to pay off all the credit cards. As you can probably guess, when he finally finished the house and went back to the bank the young guy was no longer employed there and the bank told him he had too much credit card debt to get a loan. He finally worked it out with them, but it caused him a lot of sleepless nights for a few weeks.

ddd75":3bobf1v8 said:
Brute 23":3bobf1v8 said:
ddd75":3bobf1v8 said:

you obviously have it all figured out... :clap: :lol2:

5%...6%... 2:1... every situation, every person.. you have it all figured out.. no info needed even!

congrats.
DD....the man called you out. Man up and explain it or drop the crap. BTW borrowers don't get turned down because they have too much.....you're a joke.

ChrisB":3sq5rytq said:
Jogeephus":3sq5rytq said:
RanchMan90":3sq5rytq said:

Had a co-worker who went to the bank to get a construction loan to build a house. A young banker told him to just get as many credit cards as possible and to charge everything and make minimum payments until he was done and then come back and they would give him a loan to pay off all the credit cards. As you can probably guess, when he finally finished the house and went back to the bank the young guy was no longer employed there and the bank told him he had too much credit card debt to get a loan. He finally worked it out with them, but it caused him a lot of sleepless nights for a few weeks.

I find it hard to believe that even an unseasoned loan officer would give out advice like that.

RanchMan90":35gf15e0 said:

I'd do that on stockers.

Jogeephus":3j28nqnm said:
RanchMan90":3j28nqnm said:

I can't fathom not having insurance.

TennesseeTuxedo":1t8b5t2f said:
Jogeephus":1t8b5t2f said:
RanchMan90":1t8b5t2f said:

Everyone has to have insurance but if you have a lien on the vehicle you have to have full coverage which is much higher than liability.

Jogeephus":3f0hqc9e said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3f0hqc9e said:
Jogeephus":3f0hqc9e said:

Everyone has to have insurance but if you have a lien on the vehicle you have to have full coverage which is much higher than liability.

I realize that but I still can't imagine not insuring an asset of value.

Latest posts