Leave twine on the rolls or Not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tin Man

Reaction score
all of our hay has twine on it, will it hurt anything if I leave it on the rolls? The cows dont waste has much this way. Thanks

Pull it off. If the cows eat enuf of it it can cause a blockage that will kill em dead

You will be regretting it because you will have to contend with it till it rotts which takes a lifetime. It gets tangles on cows legs and they spread it all over the place, everytime you cut weeds it gets wrapped up in the mower, plus it balls up in the stomach when they eat it., thats the negatives, the positives are :?:

I am going to be the oddball here but we never pull sisal twine off round bales. Plastice twine we do pull it off if I buy some hay with plastic. I don't know of any one near me that pulls sisal twine off round bales.

Tin Man":2drs45x5 said:
All of our has the Sissal Twine on it. will it rott by spring?

I see very little twine laying around, I feed in areas where I don't have to mow. I rarely seen any hung up on a cows foot. If it worries you I would pull it off.

we used to leave the twine/plastic on the bales in the feeders.but not anymore.we cut the twine/plastic off every bale we put out an throw it away now.because it does leave 1 heck of a mess in the pastures.

Tin Man":6tztdr0r said:
All of our has the Sissal Twine on it. will it rott by spring?
Sisal twine will be pretty much rotted by spring. Also it doesn;t cause problems with them eating it as plastic twine does.

If the rolls have plastic twine I feed in the woods, if it has sisal twine just put it out and its gone by spring. We mostly use sisal twine.

I always have my baler man bale some with the sisal instead of net wrap. Early in the year, I just unroll the sisal and do nothing else. Don't know if I have ever had a problem with it the next year. gs

I know you are supposed to be able to leave biodegradable twine on the bale, but why take a chance of problems. My cattle are to expensive to chance it.

Sisal I leave on, but I don't get much with that on it anymore as it breaks down by spring and is a mess to load and feed. Plastic, I take it all off. Seems like even with that it shows up in the most unlikely places.

I take it off. I hate pulling up with a roll and seeing a three month old calf chewing with a five foot piece of twine hanging out it's mouth.

fitz

HomePlaceAngus":3qgjfyut said:
I know you are supposed to be able to leave biodegradable twine on the bale, but why take a chance of problems. My cattle are to expensive to chance it.
Takes about two minutes to get off the tractor, cut the twine and remove it. I figure if I'm too lazy to do that I need to either not feed hay or hire some help. With my luck one would eat some of the sisal and though supposedly "harmless"...I'd find her dead in the next few days. Plastic...a complete mess in a pasture and will probably still be there at "the 2nd coming".

Everyone has forgot my personal favorite-having to cut the twine off the beaters on the manure spreader. Nothing like having to fight that battle at the end of a long day of nutriant relocation.

Engler":340mbenu said:
Everyone has forgot my personal favorite-having to cut the twine off the beaters on the manure spreader. Nothing like having to fight that battle at the end of a long day of nutriant relocation.
Worse is off the brush hog. At least the spreader has the mess at a working height instead of having to crawl on the ground.

I always remove the twine. Don't have to worry about calves trying to eat it, and it can also get wrapped around
the buttons on ear tags and rip the tags right out of the ears. :mad:

cowboy43":2wxuvb36 said:
You will be regretting it because you will have to contend with it till it rotts which takes a lifetime. It gets tangles on cows legs and they spread it all over the place, everytime you cut weeds it gets wrapped up in the mower, plus it balls up in the stomach when they eat it., thats the negatives, the positives are :?:
The sissil rots off before I even feed out the first bale. I leave it on. Not from being lazy, just practical. I have to store the bales out in the elements so in the winter they are covered in snow and ice. When you try to remove the stuff, you take 50 lbs of ice with it. Don't use the plastic stuff, and probably never will. Maybe I've been lucky, but I have never had a cow get sick from eating it and don't know of a cow around here that died from it. That may be because everyone else removes it?????? But I doubt that.

Plastic twine.... Get it all off. Sisal twine... Leave it on and in different places so not to wrap around axles on tractor/truck and feed in places where you won't need to clean it up later like in the trees/ditches. Net wrap... Get it off cause once it gets around an axle you have a REAl hard time getting it off. Twine you can take a torch and burn it off axles but net is a bi1ch to remove

Latest posts