Least Favorite Farm Chore

Help Support CattleToday:

I dont mind fencing, bailing, or fixing things. What I HATE is lining up our about 20 show animals, and washing them all before a clip, cliping them. Clipping is boring, and tedius. Then washing my share at the show, and then after the show. It takes a LONG time to wash 20 animals, and it is very cold and repetitive. I would take fencing anyday...Training the animals isnt always fun either.

If you dont think those are chores, my least favorite CHORE is taking a shovel to the muck outside the barn door after every rain. THAT stinks..literally.

karlie45":22g6mjrg said:
I dont mind fencing, bailing, or fixing things. What I HATE is lining up our about 20 show animals, and washing them all before a clip, cliping them. Clipping is boring, and tedius. Then washing my share at the show, and then after the show. It takes a LONG time to wash 20 animals, and it is very cold and repetitive. I would take fencing anyday...Training the animals isnt always fun either.

This could be my favorite thing to do. I find it kind of peaceful and relaxing to wash and clip (yes, even when they do not want to cooperate). Something about being right there, up close and in contact with the animals, i guess. Now I would agree with you on the training, wish i could hire-out the halter-breaking to someone else.

Ryan

Most people call me crazy but I actually like haying - but then again I am the one in the cab tractor :lol: I like just about any tractor work as long as I can use the cab tractor. I don't like the open top or the work that is reserved for the open top i.e. cutting - raking - shredding under the trees. I actually don't mind a little wrench turning as long as it's something that's not real heavy and I can handle by my self. If it's something that needs more then one person then it's MISERABLE!

What I hate the most is working out in the humid heat of the summer, expecially anywhere near poison ivy because I get huge blisters from the stuff. That is miserable in every sence of the word!

mdmdogs3":1oir0jzw said:
Auburn_Ag":1oir0jzw said:
I hate shelving chicken litter from around the walls of the chicken house, with a scoop! I will take working on a fence any day.
you need to build an auger that goes on your tractor
it pulls the litter from walls so your cake machine can get through it...

Yep we have used one this year and it works GREAT. However I think my Dad has to be the tickiest man on the planted and have every little speck from around the walls. So you have to go back behind the machine.

GMN":17na76wd said:
scraping the slab and feeding baby calves

GMN
oh come on.scraping the lots an feeding the calves are 2 of the most fun jobs there are on a day.now walking up the exit lane an having cows let out on you is no fun.been there done that an had to jump though fence a few times.

bigbull338":3jqm68g2 said:
GMN":3jqm68g2 said:
scraping the slab and feeding baby calves

GMN
oh come on.scraping the lots an feeding the calves are 2 of the most fun jobs there are on a day.now walking up the exit lane an having cows let out on you is no fun.been there done that an had to jump though fence a few times.

I love it esp. when the poop freezes and it has to be chopped off, and baby calves if they are all healthy isn't too bad, but one or two or 3 get sick makes it mundane and tedious.

GMN

I do not have a lot of mechanic talents. It is just hard work for me to do it. I don't like grease. I don't like grease guns. They always run out of grease when I am on my back under something trying to grease something. :stop:

not sure it can be classified as a chore since it isn't a regular thing, but...

there is nothing I hate more than putting a intra uterine pessary (afterbirth antibiotic bolus) in especially after the placenta has been retained for about a week in the summer

Mechanic work and hauling square bales. Fencing is hard but I don't hate it.

Watching one bred heifer for two months after everyone else in the herd has calved. Finally though it is over, last one calved and it was a heifer on July 27th. Finally can sleep better at night now! I hate a late calver.

I hate working the cows, Well I take that back I hate working cows with my husband. He makes it so stressful. There are some things men weren't ment to do.I try to do as much as I can by myself. Along with a few other things around the farm that are much more pieceful when I do them alone. I don't mind doing hay as long as I am on the tractor. I hate hauling square bales. We hauled 600 yesterday. It was hot.

J&T Farm":3jyqb4fm said:
I hate working the cows, Well I take that back I hate working cows with my husband. He makes it so stressful.

Sounds like my wife. She hates working cows with me, I always seem to get mad. She does not have much of a sense of how a cow is going to react or how to make it react the way you want. Either that or I just have a short fuse :lol:

I used to do field work with my husband ~ not anymore. Ever. For any reason. It works better that way. I enjoy fencing though he does most the heavy work. The worst chore for me? Carrying buckets of water from the bathtub in the house to the barn in -30 degrees, wind is blowing, bucket bumps a drift and dumps on your jeans or down your sorels UGH! Thankfully, unless its FRIGID, the hose works.

I don't mind fencing, fieldwork, working animals, etc.

What I hate, is whatever goes wrong on a Sunday evening, when you are about to leave the farm....

Michele

Haying in August.

98 degrees Sunday when we were throwing bales in the loft. Took a break under a shade tree and the 10 mph wind felt like a blast furnace.

Worst chore of all time was picking up dead goats after a dog attack. Most of them died in a creek. Nothing like lifting (and smelling) wet dead goats

Try smelling and picking up chickens that have piled up in the heat, after about 2 hours of them laying on top of one another then you have to break out the shovel and a bucket. Or when you have a water line break and they are stuck in the wet litter and you have to get in there and pull them out. I guess I should have said picking up big chickens when its hot is the worst chore. We have 3 chicken houses, 45,000 head and when it gets hot you pretty much live with them, lucky for us they are going out tonight. Tomorrow will be a great day.

Latest posts