Least Favorite Farm Chore

Help Support CattleToday:

Auburn_Ag":2pu6gp81 said:
I hate shelving chicken litter from around the walls of the chicken house, with a scoop! I will take working on a fence any day.
i never minded doing the farmwork.but i hate fencing with bobwire.that crapp will cut you up bad.an i hate when you buy gates an get the wrong dang hings.

bigbull338":3nl6aqv1 said:
Auburn_Ag":3nl6aqv1 said:
I hate shelving chicken litter from around the walls of the chicken house, with a scoop! I will take working on a fence any day.
i never minded doing the farmwork.but i hate fencing with bobwire.that crapp will cut you up bad.an i hate when you buy gates an get the wrong dang hings.

well i will give you that. I just hate chicken and anything to do with them. I guess the reason I have that on the brain is that we have got to clean out this weekend.

Call me crazy but I love turning wrenches. Fencing aint bad either, when you dont have to everything by hand. I guess its all about the satisfaction of knowing I got the job done. I cant really think of anything on the place that I dread, maybe mowing or spraying mesquites.

Any of them I have to do while it is raining. Or at least that is how I feel by this time of the year. I know that I live in the wrong part of the world.

Back when I was on the farm my least favorite thing was picking rocks. Anyone who has farmed rocky ground knows what I'm talking about. We did it the old fashioned way. Back breaking and painfully boring.

VanC":2yokad78 said:
Back when I was on the farm my least favorite thing was picking rocks. Anyone who has farmed rocky ground knows what I'm talking about. We did it the old fashioned way. Back breaking and painfully boring.

VanC, we STILL do it the old fashioned way: out there with 5 gallon pails and pick rocks until the tractor buckets so full the rocks start falling out. I hate that job.

Oh yeah, and driving ONE PARTICULAR truck for silaging. That old brown Tandem is such a pig! The bloody gear shift is dang hard to deal with, and then you gotta press the gas down only so far and brake and make sure it don't stall.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Sure glad Dad bought the high dump so I don't have to drive that damm truck no more.

Other than that, fencing and getting my hands dirty and greasy is just fine with me.

Love fence work but hate bushoggin. Just ridding around in circles cutting gets very boring to me.
Not a real big fan of spot spraying weeds either.

VanC":159jknsx said:

I had forgotten about that lovely little chore. Thankfully we don't have to do that anymore, but the rocks have been replaced with tree limbs. Just as boring, not nearly as back breaking, but I hate it just the same!

I just have to talk to a couple of my ex co-workers that still work for the battle ax and nothing here on the farm seems bad at all! :banana:

I hate hay, something is going to breakdown when you need the most. One hay field is 3/4 mile from the house dang near wear hay out moving the dang stuff out of the field to the pastures your going to need it.

Cleaning up after I finish one of my projects....hate to clean out the shop or garage. Susie threatens to do it but throws out to much good stuff. Do hate giving the gals pedicures when they are in the chute, the back just can't handle it any more. DMc

Picking up rocks off the field so the equipment doesn't get broke. Figuring out why the electric fence still is not working after walking around fixing all the problems from before.

I hate anything to do with a wrench. Especially when get in one of those places where you can only turn that nut about one eighth of a revolution. Oooh that drives me crazy. I have no patience. There is no sense of accomplishment when you use a wrench. I also hate busting my knuckles. :mad:

Dont mind hauling hay really (we dont cut any of our own just haul in from the fields), dont really mind building or fixing fence. My absolute dis-favorite job to do around here is painting all the pipe fence we have around here. Doesnt have to be down but every few years, but still hate it. Stripping it down, putting the acid stuff on there, putting on the primer, then painting it... bores me out of my mind and seems like there is always more to do. Luckily, the boss hired some guys to do it this last time, so that was good.

Auburn_Ag":hqy4xl1c said:
you need to build an auger that goes on your tractor
it pulls the litter from walls so your cake machine can get through it...

Hate any kind of inside work, paperwork, mechanical, maintenance...enjoy outside work, fencing, working cattle, mowing, tractor work.

Latest posts