Leasing Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

TGCJ7

Reaction score
I know a few people on this board lease pasture. I've got a few comercial brood cows right now and would like to expand. I've got my own ground to expand onto, but I can't jusify using good row crop ground for pasture. Anyway, about 10 mintues down the road from my house is a farm that was a former cow-calf operation. I'm considering approaching the guy and asking him if he would like to lease out his property. Fences look okay and I know he has developed water sources. Those of you who rent, what else should I consider? How does leasing property work out for you?

Thanks
Tim

TGCJ7":2wntxqzm said:
I know a few people on this board lease pasture. I've got a few comercial brood cows right now and would like to expand. I've got my own ground to expand onto, but I can't jusify using good row crop ground for pasture. Anyway, about 10 mintues down the road from my house is a farm that was a former cow-calf operation. I'm considering approaching the guy and asking him if he would like to lease out his property. Fences look okay and I know he has developed water sources. Those of you who rent, what else should I consider? How does leasing property work out for you?

Thanks
Tim
Works great as long as both parties are in agreement and understand what each expects of the other in the deal
I have a written contract on every piece of property I lease outlining what I will do and what I expect the land owner to do that way there is no (grey areas) and if a problem arises it is easier to settle if it is written in an agreement
for instance I leased 350 acres that had alot of hayfields andI had fertilized it and the owner decided he was going to take it back from me and bale and sell the hay and just pay the remainder of my lease price back
I always put in the contract that if I fert or lime a property and the owner wants to terminate the lease before time is up then they have to reimburse me for all lime and fert I have applied within a the past 12 months of termination date

He changed his mind when he seen the fert bill and decided to let me keep it

I agree with AC on the written contract. Try to get it for several years so that anything you do to improve it pays you back.
I deal with a lot of out of state landowners who want something special done. Many of them just want things to look good. That's fine too as long as it is agreed upon in advance.

I agree with the long term. Most expenses on pasture improvement will not pay out the first year. Fertilizer I consider a 5 year pay out, calculated at 20% removal per year. You may want to do a soil test before leasing. Planting improved forage can be even longer.

hard to put a bunch of money into someone elses property.

i need it and he charges me too much..cuz he can.

.but it needs alotta time and money of which i have niether...

but it does get me by.....40 acres of weeds and tees for 800 /yr

Definitely have a contract- we got burnt several times by owners (or their kids) taking it back right after we dumped a bunch of money into it. Every big investment have them write off on what they will pay back if you don't get full utilization of your investment.

Latest posts