Leasing Property for Cow/Calf Operation

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have a herd of Angus, Hereford, and some Shorthorn. I have the opportunity to lease 89 acres. I'd like to buy some new bred cows and have some cow calf pairs to run. How many could I get away with on 89 acres? I am in Northern Ca. We have decent grass in the spring/early summer, and dry pastures in the fall/winter (I start supplementing with hay those months).

You might say how many acres are open vs woods or brush?

Is there cross fencing?

What kinds of grass?

I'm not familar with that area but even some on from the area would need the info above to give an accurate answer.

If you can get a lease that is per head vs by the acre it will allow you to stock it on the conservative side and go up if it can handle it.

15 no more. It will be your 1st year. Get to know the place first. There will be things come up that you should have been made aware.
Better to end the season with grass to spare. Also they will be less likely to test the fence. Your other answers correct or not are based on
what you told them . Mine is based on what you ain't seen or anticipated. You can make adjustments in once a routine is established.
Or line up some good help , you're welcome....

Narrowing it down to Northern California still leaves a wide variety of climates thus grass growing ability. There will be a huge difference between Crescent City on the coast and Altrusas over on the Nevada line.

Latest posts