Leaky toilet - wax ring?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
One of our commodes has been leaking around the base, even after tightening the mounting bolts, so I'm assuming there's an issue with the wax ring. It's about 4 years old.

Thing is, it's not a constant leak. It'll be dry as a bone for a week, then suddenly there's half a cup of water leaking out around the base. Then it'll stop for a week, then happen again. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me like if the wax ring were leaking, it would leak all the time, wouldn't it?

I just wanted to check before getting involved in replacing that wax ring.

Thanks,
Ruark

I am having the same issue! I blamed hubby at first, ha ha. He didn't like that too well. We are in a doublewide, and didn't have much fun with the other toilet we had to take up. Reseating it was a bear. Found out playdough and poop can make its own check valve in the commode. Flush fine one day, not the next. Our plummer friend had never seen that one before in 30 years.

Replacing the wax ring is not difficult. Been there. Done that.
The reason that it may only leak occasionally could be how a person sits on it or if a person shifts his or her weight on it.

Go ahead and fix the ring now before it causes you a bunch of trouble later. There is no such thing as a little leak. Not trying to tell you how to spend your money but sometimes its necessary to bet two wax rings. One with the plastic form on it and another without. If you find their is some extra space with the one you can add some extra to it with the other ring that doesn't have the plastic. If you can't find one of these just get another one and pull the plastic and place on top of the other one then seat the commode and it will be fixed.

Easy and cheap fix, turn water off at wall behind toilet, flush to drain toilet bowl and tank, disconnect water input behind toilet, remove bolts on each side of toilet at floor, lift toilet off bolts on floor and set a side. Remove and clean old wax ring in ring seat on the floor, remove and clean any old wax ring on bottom of toilet. Install new wax ring in seat on the floor, hook toilet up in reverse order as mentioned above. Yes I have done this a couple of more times ....... No I don't rock on the throne! :lol:

Should be done before the leak ruins the sub floor.

Make sure it's not a hose connection or the tank to commode seal washers. Just did one at moms that the bolts got rusty holding the tank. Somedays it would leak when it was cold in the house.

The wax ring will only leak when the toilet is flushed. Change it out and make sure toilet is bolted snug to floor. If it wobbles it will leak. Best to change it before there is more damage.

Check the tank bolts when you have it up plus check the flange and make sure it is not broken.

Had similar trouble at work. Turns out it was the sink leaking not the toilet. the dripping water just ran to where the toilet sits.

OK folks....I've found through my own experience.....a non consistent leak when flushing is because the tank washers are leaking. Sometimes just tightening them a little more will fix it. Other times new bolts and washers are needed (hopefully not rusted tight). I'd check them before messing with a wax ring. If the tank moves a bit it's probably where it's leaking.

Also possible the mounting bolts attaching the tank to toilet are not tight. If you have to replace the wax ring, get one with a plastic extension that extends down into the floor drain. If the toilet was installed properly in the first place, not likely the wax ring is problem, but could be.

Ruark":2g1f2hat said:
One of our commodes has been leaking around the base, even after tightening the mounting bolts, so I'm assuming there's an issue with the wax ring. It's about 4 years old.

Thing is, it's not a constant leak. It'll be dry as a bone for a week, then suddenly there's half a cup of water leaking out around the base. Then it'll stop for a week, then happen again. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me like if the wax ring were leaking, it would leak all the time, wouldn't it?

I just wanted to check before getting involved in replacing that wax ring.

Thanks,
Ruark

Check under the water bowl first.. There is a problem with the mounting bolts leaking if there more then 2 yrs old... The bolt rust and you don't even notice and it runs down the back of the toilet and forms a pool of water around the bottom. People sometimes replace the wax ring thinking that's it but it's not.. Also if it's a porcelain bowl the bowls will build up condensation on the bowl itself and drip down to form a pool.. There is nothing you can do about that though.. I wouldn't replace the wax ring until you make absolute certain the problem is it. Because its not fun to replace at all.. I have replaced a lot of them and if your fast you can do it 40 mins to an hour... If you've never done it at all figure on 2 hours.. :(

P.S. If you don't know how to replace a wax ring its very easy you can see an install on you-tube, also on replacing mounting bolts too :)

Latest posts