Leaking milk - why now?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I was walking past a cow that was lying down just a bit ago (mighty hot). I was surprised to see that see was leaking milk from one of her teats. I have seen that before on nursing cows but she is not due to calf until 10/21, so that doesn't make sense to me. She has bagged up & the teats are swollen.

What's going on?

Farminlund":k4gp945i said:
I was walking past a cow that was lying down just a bit ago (mighty hot). I was surprised to see that see was leaking milk from one of her teats. I have seen that before on nursing cows but she is not due to calf until 10/21, so that doesn't make sense to me. She has bagged up & the teats are swollen.

What's going on?

If she's bagged up, not nursing or just had a calf weaned, I would look at the possible breeding dates again

dun

Thanks for your response dun - You got me thinking on rechecking, however, I think I need to go recheck her ear tag. Maybe I transposed the digits in my mind (I do have a bit of dyslexia). I just weaned #12's calf & the one I thought leaking was 21. I am sorry for the post if that is the mistake - I'm going back out in the heat to do it now.

We had one start leaking like you are talking about earlier this year. Took her a week and a half to calve after I noticed it.

cfpinz

Sorta wish I could blame the digit transposing thing but I have looked at both cows (12 & 21). The one that had her calf weaned yesterday morning does not have the swollen look about her teats & the hair near them has the "nursed look" about it. The one to calve in Oct has noticably swollen teats & a small bag (she was now standing & other than what looked to be a wet spot at the end of one teat - was not leaking).

So I am at loss as to what to make of it - surely she can't be getting ready to calve at this early date!

Still looking for inputs.

cfpinz":38he49wg said:
We had one start leaking like you are talking about earlier this year. Took her a week and a half to calve after I noticed it.

cfpinz

Was she as early as mine - 2.5 months ahead of schedule now - in say another 2 weeks she's still over 2 months early! She was early last by 2 weeks not 2 months.

Rustler9":mmcm4o9b said:
Sounds like you have the calving date wrong-let us know what she has.

She's pure black angus - calved 2 weeks early last fall (due 10/5 & delivered on 9/21).

This year she was AI'd on 12/18 & again on 1/11 (second time was KMK Forager)

Farminlund":xjl30hev said:
cfpinz":xjl30hev said:

cfpinz

Was she as early as mine - 2.5 months ahead of schedule now - in say another 2 weeks she's still over 2 months early! She was early last by 2 weeks not 2 months.

She could have been leaking earlier, but I did not notice it until a week and a half before she calved. Her calf had been weaned for 5 months or so.

cfpinz

i think the cow has a loose spinichar muscle in her teat.wich will cause her to dripp like crazy.but im wondering to if she isnt going to calve early as well.

One of our cows is beginning to bag up and she isn't due until the end of December or 1st of January. She has always done this. An extremely heavy milker. Her last calf at 5 months weighted 756 lbs. Needless to say he was weaned early. No leaking teats though.

Latest posts