Lawsuit is settled

Help Support CattleToday:

Bear, point taken and accepted. I'll let you all know how rich I got from this, and what number friend you are, as the higher numbers get more consideration for me sharing the award. gs

PG
Thanks, but no thanks. I hope things work out for you. Hexavalent chromium is very serious at any level for humans. It is a lot more common than most people realize, particularly in public drinking water. Hexavalent chromium will break down to a less toxic form when mixed with or comes into contact with organic matter. (trivalent chromium)

I know some have had a little fun with this but it would appear that the last group of people that thought it was cheap, a good deal and didn't care if people got sick or not, cost em 10 million dollars. I hope your case is not like most other litigated cases, in that, in the end there are no clear winners. Good luck!
Bear

Now I'm getting nosey, and I'll accept "no comment" as an acceptable response. Does any notation get attached to the deed? Any indications that a purchaser from India or Indiana would find in a title search upon making an offer to purchase?
You made out like a bandit if you don't get any negatives attached to the property record.

Nah, John, I ain't got any secrets. Nothing on title, nothing nowhere, no how. There is nothing to put anywhere. The chromium was something called Chromium 3. The only reason Chromium was even mentioned was because Blueside, the original company had a permit for Chromium 1. They never had any on site. It's crap, just a bunch of lawyers making money.
I appreciate peoples conserns, but it's a joke around here.
The biggest problem was around Cameron, Mo. when Erin Broc-a-bitch got involved. Property valvues plumpted. I even heard roumors of starting a class action lawsuit against her for destroying the property values. But remember, my farm was the closest to Cameron, and that's about 40 miles by road, and 30 by the way the crow flies.
The fact that nothing has affected me other than I can't get free fertilizer, is my moral delimmina. Not gonna' turn down the money, but I've always that someone else's misfortune shouldn't be my fortune.
We should get probably a minumn of 5 million after lawyers, if in this particular lawsuit all 5,000 or 6,000 acres are represented that should be about $1,000 per acre. Don't know the breakdown tho', I had them spread 160 acres for maybe 6 years, and 440 for I know was 2 years. Don't know if I get more for the 160, or if it all is the same. Also don't know if in this suit 25 farmers had 2500 acres of the 5 or 6,000 acres represented, or if it represents it all.
I'm actually pretty clueless, but i do know that they are gonna' build me a barn. Wish I had other wants, but I pretty content with what I have. gs

I ain't dissing you, be assured.
I don't remember you asking for my opinion, and it is worth what it is costing you.
I don't know what an honest appraisal (big oxymoron) of your property would reveal. but the publc (bidders) would surely take note of this settlement, if they know about it. Money now is more valuable than money later, so don't turn it down.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of cow operation do you run?
I sure hope it isn't feeders.
Fixing to show my ass here:
But if You didn't care if it was processed, treated etc or not, didn't care your cows grazed it while still wet, and don't seem to care if there are any affects on you or your family, i really don't know what to think.
I guess the almighty dollar does indeed trump everything.

Gregg,

One thing that I would suggest is if you do get the money, go see an accountant. They will be able to give you advice on how to invest or spend this money so you do not give as much of it to the government in taxes. Myself I would rather buy some equipment or some land rather than hand that money over to big brother.

John, didn't think you were dissing me for a second. The only real knowledge of property values being lowered happend about 60 miles from me. A couple from the city were gonna' build a house and retire on it. Now when they leave Kansas City, she puts on a breathing mask long before they get there. Stupid, IMO.
Hook, I have 90-100 cows and calves. The stuff they spread was dry, the 3 wheel spreader had probably a 20' spread spacing on it. They would drive about 5' from their last set to tracks to get it spread. About the part that I don't care.........I want to stress that there is nothing to care about. It has been and was proven safe. There is a lot of difference in the type of chromium used and the stuff that kills people. The lawsuit was about decreasing property values because of the misinformation and roumors, not actual comtamantion of the ground. Again there was no contamination.
In Fla. they spray the oranges and veggies, probably fertilize them also. Some has to hit the ground, are property values lowered because of this? Probably not, so why should mine be for spreading a different form of fertilizer than urea or ammonia nitrate?
I know I probably sound like I'm arguing with myself, part of the way I feel about the money {that I'm gonna' take]
The company that settled decided that 10 million was a cheaper way to get the lawyers to leave them alone, than fight them and spend 20 million. That's why it was settled out of court.
If the lawyers could prove that the sludge was comtaminated, I can garantee you that they would have never settled out of court.
Chromium is such a bad word that it would make them richer.
From what I know about you Hook, I can tell that things like this bother you when you think the enviroment is being destroyed for your kids to deal with later. I commend you on that, I wish others felt the same way. In 30 years, I have seen what leaking fuel tanks do, unregulated sewers, propane leaks, etc. and it changed my mind on what we're leaving future generations.
I'll quit typing now, Hillbilly man, that's very good advice, but money from lawsuits such as this are tax free. Yea, good for me.
Thanks Greg

I reread what I wrote and it didn't come out the way I intended. But too late for editing.
My point was tht if there was enough of an issue for them to pay future medical costs, for them to pay out to the tune of million, theres got to be a reason.
Just because they settled out of court doesn't mean squat.
Yes I do get worked up a bit about issues when it comes to how little we know about what we put into our bodies. I do care about the long term affects of anything. Good or bad.
I've seen a lot and done a lot of different things in my life and most of it outside. So I have seen first hand the degradation of the legacy we are leaving our kids.
But we I really get worked up is the fleecing of the general public by the gvt and by big biz, and the general publics acceptance of bein fleeced. But sadly most are too lazy to do the research themselves. And there has never in the history of man been so much knowledge available freely via the net.
I'm not a chicken little kind of guy. I am the kind if guy to learn all I can about stuff and them make a choice.
I truly didn't mean any insult directly at you Greg, but I do question the practice.

I didn't read it as an insult at me, so that's a non issue. I truly appreciate things like your comments to make me think.
As far as the future medical costs, I think it was put in there just to pacify. I think the company wanted us to take the out of court settlement and that was an angle by their lawyers. We have four options that I don't think I posted
Do nothing, get no award.
Object to the settlement and write a letter to the court
Exclude yourself from the suit
Fill out the papers, the only to get monentary relief
I've got till April 23 to fill out the papers, I'm not doing anything till it gets closer to that time
I also question the pratice like you said, however, look at how much longer we are all living than in the time of the pioneers. If we question all chemicals, practices and refuse to partake, will our lifespan be lowered. Man, that sounds deep don't it.
Just like what was spread on my farm, animal hair, fat, etc off hides of beef. Chemicals were in it, but is that any worse than a man made fertilizer? At least what is there is more like when the Indians put a fish with the maize seed for fertilizer and grew corn. Maybe tho' urea is a natural product, I don't really know.
Now I'm hijacking my own thread, but to me it's just like grassfed beef or natural or whatver you call it, Great product, nothing bad about it, but when the world was forced to eat only that type of product, the lifespan was 20 years shorter than it is now that the corn, chemicals, antibotics etc. are put in it. How can that be better?
Heck maybe the perservatives in food are perserving our bodies too. gs

Latest posts