Laura's lean beef ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Looked into Laura's awhile back after I got a call about our operation and the number of head that I could ship. There were some feed guidelines that needed to be followed as well as which breeds they were after...Lims were the ones that stick in my mind. I believe that the animals needed to be on Rumensin for something like 100 days before shipping, we don't use it so that along with the low number of head that we process each year it didn't interest us.
The market for "natural" and "low fat" beef is growing each year..I don't know if the market will handle the price increase due to the increase in feed costs..last year I filled the barn with hay for $85 a ton delivered, the cheepest I could find last week was $200 and I had to send a daughter to fetch it.
We're two weeks away from pasture if the weather keeps warming so it will be a challange to see if this will be our last year before we cut back and just calve out a few select cows for the family and our long time customers and sell the rest.
Will probably slaughter our bull after he finishes his spring work...he'll be under 30 months and is fat as a hog on hay..hate to as he throws nice calves.
Raining here today so it will be a day or two before I get the discing done, sorry about rambling on.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

Latest posts