Latest project

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":29yctp6i said:
M-5":29yctp6i said:
sstterry":29yctp6i said:
I notice you got the 5 up first thing! I like that small trailer too, seems it would be very handy.
I have a lady with a CNC machine that makes signs and wind chimes. This is part of my wife's Christmas.

Your becoming a real bigwig. Looks good, now get back to work.

work keeps getting in the way of work. The days are 2 short also. I guess I need to invest in a light power unit so i can work more into the night.

That's a nice barn/Equipment shed. First thing I noticed was the Flag. I'd like to know where you got the trusses. We used to be able to get used chicken house trusses fairly cheap around here but they are getting hard to find. I need to cover part of the corrals and I think this would be the fastest way.

we have a couple of truss companies here that build them. I bought these from backwoods truss company. they run about 9.00 a ft for the truss . I will have right at 2.70 a sq ft in this one for materials and my labor.

power company finally hooked up power to mine yesterday.. of course I was gone so they put a box right beside the driveway at a turn.

GREAT SPOT!!!!! Now when its ran over they can come fix it I guess..

Set batter boards yesterday and dug posts. Hung trusses this morning put on metal . Still gotta finish screwing it all off. Finish gables on North end . Some wiring and lights. More fill dirt . Then build a shop on North East end.

Looks real good Dash. I can't even begin to count the number of pole barns that I've built. Mainly for customers. But I've never had the opportunity to use the metal trusses. I really like the look of them. And they look like they would be way faster and easier to install than stick built 2x12 trusses. Maybe on the next one I build for myself I will try them out.

M-5":1ov74tlb said:
Starting to get a few things in order . I built this weekend before last , 4 of us got everything set in 12 hrs over 2 days .

Last weekend it took 3 of us 4 hours to finish.
32x60x14

I have 15' leans on order as was hoping they would be ready this week for the long weekend but I guess it's gonna be a couple more weeks till I can pick them up.

Looks good are those chicken house trusses? I used some to build a hay barn and have some left.

skyhightree1":2ca5jkg0 said:
M-5":2ca5jkg0 said:
Starting to get a few things in order . I built this weekend before last , 4 of us got everything set in 12 hrs over 2 days .

32x60x14

I have 15' leans on order as was hoping they would be ready this week for the long weekend but I guess it's gonna be a couple more weeks till I can pick them up.

Looks good are those chicken house trusses? I used some to build a hay barn and have some left.
these are new trusses and never exposed to chickens

M-5":2k3noccq said:
skyhightree1":2k3noccq said:
M-5":2k3noccq said:

32x60x14

these are new trusses and never exposed to chickens

Ohok they look like same basic design

This style truss has been the primary pole barn truss system here the last 25 years . At least 3 truss plants within an hour of me . I would assume the chicken houses use them too because I do see some for sale from time to time.

M-5 that looks good Sir. We would call that a barn here in South Texas also. We might skirt the top of the sides some but never go to the ground. Need air flow to be able to stand to work on equipment etc in the 100 degree plus heat.
I have seen those truss designs all over the net but I have yet to find dealer in Texas that will return a call or email. Can you say what the cost was for each one and size? I am to the point of buying some square tube and build my own.

Named'em Tamed'em":2mpb68v2 said:
around here for pole buildings they take 2 regular wood trusses and sandwich them together with a 2x6 to hold the purlins .

What do you mean by this? They double up every truss?

Supa Dexta":1nrwmhqs said:
Named'em Tamed'em":1nrwmhqs said:
around here for pole buildings they take 2 regular wood trusses and sandwich them together with a 2x6 to hold the purlins .

What do you mean by this? They double up every truss?

Yes, all trusses are double except the gable ends. The others are nailed together , spaced by a 2x6 sticking up to hold the purlins.

Latest posts