Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2zqi1wzu said:
"If I had even slight narrowing of a coronary artery, I think it would have revealed itself"
Oh it will, believe me..but probably not like the ones you see on TV and in the movies...you'll likely feel 'out of sorts' one day, eventually go to the doc, he'll run some tests and come back and ask you when you had your heart attack(s)

My brother one year older. Was recently hauling rock off a field. That evening, he said he hurt all over and like you said, "he felt out of sorts". It was worse the next day. He went to the hospital and they did an EKG. Fine. They did a stress test. Fine. Sent him home. He went out to piddle on his farm the next day and felt awful. Went back to the hospital and the Doctor ordered an angiogram. He had an obstructed coronary artery. Put in a stint.

Farm Fence Solutions":36g51gjv said:
callmefence":36g51gjv said:
Good deal.

I think 30 inches for a stiffener post set that way will be alright. Definitely not deep enough for a brace post.

I agree. You should be far enough south to keep them in the ground. If you do get any heave with them, skip the concrete next time.

Luke.

Putting in another big post cut from a power pole on the far west end. I rarely hit rock but I did here. Used the spud bar to work them out but the resulting hole is probably 30 inches across. I am going to use concrete because dirt cannot be packed in enough without an Herculean effort.

Lots of creosote still evident in this post so should last as long as I do.

My dad worked at the power company as a lineman, for 36 years. We had a never ending supply of light poles (he got ill if they were refered to as telephone poles). One thing I can say is, not all light poles are created equally. Some, the bottom end is the gravy, and the upper is junk. Some are good all the way to the top.

Bigfoot":1wc75o1n said:
My dad worked at the power company as a lineman, for 36 years. We had a never ending supply of light poles (he got ill if they were refered to as telephone poles). One thing I can say is, not all light poles are created equally. Some, the bottom end is the gravy, and the upper is junk. Some are good all the way to the top.

Yes, sir. They replaced the power poles across my farm ( not telephone poles). Gave the old ones to me. Of the four I got, all were good at the bottom 16 feet. But two from 16 feet to the top were crap.

It's gotten more difficult to get surplus poles from the power companies around here. They've found a market for them in Houston. Some outfit buys them up, saws them to post length and has a yard full that they sell.
They did leave me 3 a few years ago that were replaced here, but I had to sign a waiver to use them for fence posts and not to use them to build any structures out of (like a pole barn). Liability concerns I suppose..

greybeard":182v65o5 said:
It's gotten more difficult to get surplus poles from the power companies around here. They've found a market for them in Houston. Some outfit buys them up, saws them to post length and has a yard full that they sell.
They did leave me 3 a few years ago that were replaced here, but I had to sign a waiver to use them for fence posts and not to use them to build any structures out of (like a pole barn). Liability concerns I suppose..

These guys met me at the gate. They simply ask if I wanted the poles. I said yes. They left them right where they pulled them. No questions. Lots of things go easy here. When I cleared the farm, I wanted to burn the piles of debris pushed off. I called the sheriff, fire department, etc. They all acted like they never had anyone ever ask. So I just burnt as I needed.

Bright Raven":26p24q2x said:
When I cleared the farm, I wanted to burn the piles of debris pushed off. I called the sheriff, fire department, etc. They all acted like they never had anyone ever ask. So I just burnt as I needed.
Me too, AFTER I notified the nearest VFD, the National and Texas Forest Service, my electric utility provider, the county 911 dispatcher, and had the Forest Service come out and visually give my place the once over and he noted the nearest open water source (my farm ponds).
Livin next to the Natl Forest ain't easy.

Luke,
I finished a small section on the south end with 15.5 gauge wire. I posted a picture above of the East end that I finished with the 14 guage tornado. I will finish the lion's share in the middle with Tornado. There is no comparison on the wires. The tornado is far superior.

ww192g.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo":3honq9fv said:
I'm gonna have to get some of this Tornado wire. Where is it sold?

I make regular trips through KY and TN to deliver wire, and I'd be glad to get what you need on the next truck. We should have a good bit of stock in the Bowling Green area in the near future, and I'm working on getting a stocking dealer set up near Manchester, TN. McArthur Post in McArthur, OH keeps a big inventory of Tornado wire as well. Hopefully, we will also have a good quantity of stock in central TX soon too.

Farm Fence Solutions":2yjlh1nb said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2yjlh1nb said:
I'm gonna have to get some of this Tornado wire. Where is it sold?

I make regular trips through KY and TN to deliver wire, and I'd be glad to get what you need on the next truck. We should have a good bit of stock in the Bowling Green area in the near future, and I'm working on getting a stocking dealer set up near Manchester, TN. McArthur Post in McArthur, OH keeps a big inventory of Tornado wire as well. Hopefully, we will also have a good quantity of stock in central TX soon too.

Awesome, I'll be in touch.

Bright Raven":242qxadw said:
Luke,
I finished a small section on the south end with 15.5 gauge wire. I posted a picture above of the East end that I finished with the 14 guage tornado. I will finish the lion's share in the middle with Tornado. There is no comparison on the wires. The tornado is far superior.

ww192g.jpg

That's what we're after! It's hard to convince folks that it really is better until they use a little of it. Sounds too good to be true, but it's not. I'm headed south Thursday evening, and if everything works out right, I'll be up your way by Tuesday or Wednesday with some more wire for you.

Farm Fence Solutions":15qx0qmp said:
Bright Raven":15qx0qmp said:
Luke,

ww192g.jpg

That's what we're after! It's hard to convince folks that it really is better until they use a little of it. Sounds too good to be true, but it's not. I'm headed south Thursday evening, and if everything works out right, I'll be up your way by Tuesday or Wednesday with some more wire for you.

You got my number. Thanks

kickinbull":12btyig1 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":12btyig1 said:
kickinbull":12btyig1 said:
Old timers put posts rod apart,16&1/2 feet
Who you calling old? :lol:
Lol. I was referring to older farmers where I grew up. It was a rule to go by.

Standard roll of net wire is 330' or 20 rod. Barb wire is 1,320' or 80 rod. 40 acres is 80 rod by 80 rod. Every day of my life is built around the measurement of 16.5', or exactly 5 natural steps. The law here for property line fence is one rod spacing.