DIY Pallet Shed Project

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm seeing tons of pallet projects. A lot of em look pretty cool. My experience with pallets is, that they don't stand up to weather.

I'v seen them too Bigfoot. However, our experience is much different. I can not afford to do something else with our pallets, since I put them under the round bales when they come in from the field so they do not lose hay on the bottom from the nasties. We place the pallets on the ground, and separate them by about a foot, and then put the round bales on them, about 2 pallets for 3 bales, and when we pull the hay to feed it later in the winter the bottom is as clean as the top, no waste. When we pull the bales, the pallets just get flipped over out of the way, and later stacked for the next season. We have some pallets that we have been using for 3 or 4 years.... and they are holding up just fine. So, I would rather save that hay then tear the pallets apart for a project I have no time for! ;-) :lol:

Wish that the pallets that I find around here looked that good. Anything cheap or free here is going to be pretty flimsy or damaged.
Nice idea though.

I get alot of pallets but use them for the firewood I keep at my house. The pallets in that set up would last because they are not touching the ground and they are covered by exterior shed plywood. However if pallets contact the ground a rotting they will go.

I guess our climate is too wet and humid-and too many insects. I've never had pallets last more than one season under round bales.

Quality pallets are made out of hard wood , for years we had to pay to get rid of them but now we can sell them because so many people want them. I've made a few projects from them and really like the rustic rough look. I'm going to invest in a denailer to make it easy to disassemble .

M5farm":1bap32di said:
Quality pallets are made out of hard wood , for years we had to pay to get rid of them but now we can sell them because so many people want them. I've made a few projects from them and really like the rustic rough look. I'm going to invest in a denailer to make it easy to disassemble .
Local McCoys lumber sets them outside the back gate for people to take but their local competitor stacks them up and sells them for $1.50 each.
The cheap soft wood pallets generally come from overseas with imported goods--we had loads of them when I worked at the Kubota dealership--couldn't give them away--huge ones that the compact tractors came on, and smaller ones that cases of Kubota branded oil and other lubricants came on till they started using US refined products. The really good ones are returnable and the manufacturer invoiced a core charge on them everywhere I ever worked.

Latest posts