Late fertilizer applications to hay fields?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
How late is too late to put on your fertilizer before first cutting? Due to the wet spring about half of my hay ground has not been done yet. It was fertilized according to soil test last year and then had about 1.5 tons of chicken litter put on in October.

did you take a soil test this yr
if I apply comm fert after applying litter in the fall I usualy just apply some N anywhere from 30-50 lbs of actual N pr acre
I do this as late as the first week of may and usually am cutting by the 3rd week in may
If you could get it on in the next week I would say you will be ok JMO

Angus Cowman":19ya8ezx said:
did you take a soil test this yr
if I apply comm fert after applying litter in the fall I usualy just apply some N anywhere from 30-50 lbs of actual N pr acre
I do this as late as the first week of may and usually am cutting by the 3rd week in may
If you could get it on in the next week I would say you will be ok JMO
NO I did not soil test this year, my plan was to put on about 40 N and a little P and K because I am getting more litter when he cleans out but it will be after first cutting before I can get it. As wet as it is now it will be at least 10 days I would guess before I could get on it without rutting it. It is bottom ground.

The hay ground I did get across I put 40-15-40 as they test pretty low on K.

Tom,
I have some bottom land as well and luckily I got my N scattered before all this rain started. Hoping now it doesn't get washed away. Have you thought about waiting to put your N on after your first cutting? The ground hopefully will still have plenty of moisture in it and I would expect that you may get a second cutting mid sumer and then some fall hay also or you could graze some of the fall hay thereby prolonging your grazing season.

The gamble is little or no rain after we take spring hay. Wish I could get some of that chicken litter close to me! My fields sure could use some.

Question: We bought enough 39-6-6 fertilizer to put 150lbs/acre on leased land that we use for summer grazing. The day we paid for the fertilizer it started raining. We've had just under 14" in the two weeks since. It is still too wet to get across most of the pasture with a buggy. Waiting for it to dry, but we need to move cattle now! Grass on the leased land is around 8-10" high. Can we spread the fertilizer after/while the cattle are grazing it, or do we need to just forget that idea and spread it on a couple fields we will be haying? Forecast is for 4 straight dry days next week but they haven't been extremely reliable in the past. Never had this happen before. Should add, mostly fescue with red clover mixed in.

fit2btied":2c8e8tmy said:
Question: We bought enough 39-6-6 fertilizer to put 150lbs/acre on leased land that we use for summer grazing. The day we paid for the fertilizer it started raining. We've had just under 14" in the two weeks since. It is still too wet to get across most of the pasture with a buggy. Waiting for it to dry, but we need to move cattle now! Grass on the leased land is around 8-10" high. Can we spread the fertilizer after/while the cattle are grazing it, or do we need to just forget that idea and spread it on a couple fields we will be haying? Forecast is for 4 straight dry days next week but they haven't been extremely reliable in the past. Never had this happen before. Should add, mostly fescue with red clover mixed in.
Wait till your fields are dry enough to drive on. Doesn;t hurt to fertilize while the cows are on the field.
They claimed 4 dry days this coming week on wednesday. Now they're down to rain at least every other day.

dun":8cve68lq said:
Wait till your fields are dry enough to drive on. Doesn;t hurt to fertilize while the cows are on the field.
They claimed 4 dry days this coming week on wednesday. Now they're down to rain at least every other day.
Thanks. The first part of your response is what I wanted to hear. The second part is not!
That said, we got .3" yesterday and it's raining again now! I'm still tryin' not to complain.

fit2btied":34g34x0n said:

If your grass is 8-10" high now I would just put the cattle on it before it gets too mature and feed value goes down.

I would not fertilize with 58 lb/a of nitrogen with cattle on it. Nitrate poisoning is possible.

Either wait to fertilize until the pasture is grazed down (no problem fertilizing in late May or early June) or put the fertilizer somewhere else. jmho.

Jim

Here in southern Il. the weather sense mid april has been wet wet wet. and cold . Have been rotational grazing pastures . Fertilized pastures early march used 46 -23 -60 per acre . Grass is just
staying ahead of the cows . Would another shot of nitrogen say 23 units make much difference ? Would like the pastures to get ahead a little before summer . Weather man is calling for warmer temp this week . :banana:

rjbovine":17hsueki said:
Here in southern Il. the weather sense mid april has been wet wet wet. and cold . Have been rotational grazing pastures . Fertilized pastures early march used 46 -23 -60 per acre . Grass is just
staying ahead of the cows . Would another shot of nitrogen say 23 units make much difference ? Would like the pastures to get ahead a little before summer . Weather man is calling for warmer temp this week . :banana:

Fertilizer in late May/early June usually has the best response per fert $$. however do you really need more fertilizer or mostly warm weather.

If you can put the 23 units of straight N under the soil surface (as 28%) or if spread as urea AND get a good 1/2" + rain right after application< you will usually increase summer production. Warmer weather with your earlier fertilizer may, however, do the same thing.

Good luck.

Jim

hey maybe not on topic but if your fert pasture with litter do ya take the cows off it

i dont when i fert with comm fert...sometimes for a day or 2 but thats bout all

rjbovine":36168p1i said:
Here in southern Il. Have been rotational grazing pastures . Fertilized pastures early march used 46 -23 -60 per acre . Grass is just staying ahead of the cows . Would another shot of nitrogen say 23 units make much difference ? Would like the pastures to get ahead a little before summer .

Lbs/lb response drops all summer long and I can not afford granular fertilizer after early spring with current N prices.
Sounds like you are over stocked... so increase stocking density or finding cheap feed or do a foliar analysis or backing up the trailer may be better options.

fit2btied":3au673t4 said:
dun":3au673t4 said:
Thanks. The first part of your response is what I wanted to hear. The second part is not!
That said, we got .3" yesterday and it's raining again now! I'm still tryin' not to complain.
We moved 14 pairs Sunday to leased pasture. Been dry since Saturday so we spread the fertilizer this morning and moved the last 6 pairs this evening. Supposed to rain/severe thunderstorm Thursday afternoon. We'll hope for the best and see what happens.

Got somewhere between 3 and 4 tenths overnight Thursday and it's supposed to storm again tonight. As long as we don't get too much, it looks like it is going to work out alright.

Latest posts