Last year for the 5.9L Cummins

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp":i5z3swsz said:
I tried to do a little research on this today, and can't find that either Dodge or Ford owns rights to the Cummins diesel designs, or that either owns Cummins. I'm guessing that Dodge's rights to the diesels in their products, as a company, are paid for dearly -- but you can go out and buy one of those Cummins motors and put it in your Ford, and you don't have to buy it from Dodge!
My Ford 2 ton came with a Cummins.

novatech":1ov7rlvd said:
Kathie in Thorp":1ov7rlvd said:
I tried to do a little research on this today, and can't find that either Dodge or Ford owns rights to the Cummins diesel designs, or that either owns Cummins. I'm guessing that Dodge's rights to the diesels in their products, as a company, are paid for dearly -- but you can go out and buy one of those Cummins motors and put it in your Ford, and you don't have to buy it from Dodge!
My Ford 2 ton came with a Cummins.
Hmmmm. I wonder if that's because the 2-ton is more a "commercial" type rig, rather than a "light" rig? Don't know! Liker a lot of other things, I don't know a lot about mechanical stuff. :)

I have a 2007 with one of the last 5.9s with the 6 speed manual transmission that advertised at 305 hp and 555 lb=ft of torque. With an automatic transmission they advertised at 235 hp and 460 lb=ft of torque. They tuned for less horsepower in the automatics probably because they wouldn't hold up to it.

B&M Farms":lgjepbjk said:
I have a 2007 with one of the last 5.9s with the 6 speed manual transmission that advertised at 305 hp and 555 lb=ft of torque. With an automatic transmission they advertised at 235 hp and 460 lb=ft of torque. They tuned for less horsepower in the automatics probably because they wouldn't hold up to it.
Really that much of a power drop for choosing an automatic.

Angus Cowman":2fzrxzkq said:
if they are measuring the HP at the wheels you will lose that much ( not that the engines are tuned differently)because an Auto takes more horsepower to turn than a direct drive
Must be why the kid told me the '06 diesel, manual tranny Dodge was the last of the "good ones." Love my truck! :heart:

My 07 had the 5.9. Traded it off for an '11 model. I did not notice a big gain in power, pulled about the same as the 07 did. The big difference was in mileage......the 6.7 was getting 13 mpg tops for me (20 from the 5.9 bob-tailed). They had to start putting in the 6.7 to get through all the crap that EPA requires now. I have been a Dodge/Cummins driver since 1999. Not Dodge's fault really, but I traded that truck off not long after I bought it for the bad mileage, and the price of diesel has been higher than gas for quite a while now. Got me a GMC with 6.0 gasser now. Tougher pulling, but I love the truck. My old chevy 6.0 has 220K on it and still going, hopefully Ill have the same luck with this one. I miss the diesel when pulling a load of cows, but that only happens a couple times a year.

the last year for the 24v 5.9 was 1999 and then the last year for 5.9 24v was 2007 & the horsepower was 215 tops stock for the 12v and the torque was like 400 something & the 24v 5.9 horsepower is 335 and the torque was 610

B&M Farms":2sr7vqdn said:

07 was the last year for them, but the sticker on the side of your valve cover said 325/600. The 305/555 came in the 03.5-04.5. The autos came with a 250/500 until 04.5.