Last moments

Help Support CattleToday:

It would suck to be one of the neighbours and see the value of your property just drop to zero. Does insurance step in and payout in those circumstances or is it the state?

I saw on the news this morning that all of the neighbors have been evacuated because their homes may be compromised.

Aaron":n5mspt11 said:
It would suck to be one of the neighbours and see the value of your property just drop to zero. Does insurance step in and payout in those circumstances or is it the state?
I would imagine it's about like the homes in mudslide/fire areas here in CA, you just have to wait a few months until everyone forgets and then list it.

Aaron":72ikq8um said:
Most insurance companies will pay to stabilize the hole with concrete and fix the house. Unless its too bad. Them they just knock the house down, stabilize the ground and pay out.

You would think they could use sonar to see where weak spots could arise. That's a bad deal for sure, I would not want to be the guy in the house with him and have to relive that over and over in my head. I would definetly need counseling or lots of whiskey to get thru that. As far as burial expenses, I bet there's gonna be some donations coming from across the country because its all over the news. May he rest in peace

I was trapped in the rubble of a home for four hours once. You get a lot of time to think. I hope for his sake, that he went quickly.

Kscattle":51z32m7t said:
You would think they could use sonar to see where weak spots could arise. That's a bad deal for sure, I would not want to be the guy in the house with him and have to relive that over and over in my head. I would definetly need counseling or lots of whiskey to get thru that. As far as burial expenses, I bet there's gonna be some donations coming from across the country because its all over the news. May he rest in peace
donations for what? the guy's not hav'in any final expenses...

maybe donations to help the family recover the loss of the home and belongings. I don't know if they had insurance.

an uncle of mine. worked for a farm in southwest ga said all the pivots quit one day. they went to check on pumping unit. and the pond,pump and all there was gone. a sinkhole took it all. at least no lives were lost.

what if he is still alive down there? seems to me they should have brought in some special equipment, to determine if he was still alive-did they? I know it was a danger that the house would fall in, but I would hate to think that the guy was injured and alive, and waiting for help, and they just gave up on him

There's no way he's still alive. He was swallowed by the surrounding dirt into the earth. Like pulling the plug on your bath water. Only dirt doesn't swirl.

GMN":1snhap94 said:
what if he is still alive down there? seems to me they should have brought in some special equipment, to determine if he was still alive-did they? I know it was a danger that the house would fall in, but I would hate to think that the guy was injured and alive, and waiting for help, and they just gave up on him
Good point. I'm sure if he was still alive he would appreciate it.
I don't know much about search and rescue.

Just what kind of special equipment should they use for this?

Ryder":f7p2d9ro said:
GMN":f7p2d9ro said:
Good point. I'm sure if he was still alive he would appreciate it.
I don't know much about search and rescue.

Just what kind of special equipment should they use for this?

I didn't know about this as I don't watch the news much anymore. But when I looked it up, I read where they did bring in some special equipment to make that determination. I don't know how you scan through tons of dirt and maybe you don't. Even if he was able to find a pocket of air, I think it would come down to a short period of time before oxygen ran out.

Very well defined Hook. Just about all of Florida is at risk but the greatest risk comes from the draining of the Hawthorne Aquifer. Runs under most of the southern half of the state