Last two months expenses

Help Support CattleToday:

@StockerSteve. I don't k now exactly what the ins is called.. but will find out. He has his farm insurance through Farm Bureau. His agent suggested it. Costs about $50-100 year extra for each piece of equipment he has and he has it on some older tractors, like the big old Allis (like a 7080 or something... all I know it is big and heavy and will handle any round baler on any hill). He put it on the discbine when he bought it new 5 years ago.... this was trade in year at the end of 2020... had not used it before now on this piece of equipment... So has spent like 250 or even 500 ... but with 1,000 ded and the 8,000 repair and parts, it was worth every penny. Tore the Allis up a couple of years ago bush hogging a rough piece of ground; caught a big stump that got up into the transmission and bent some stuff on the steering.... paid for alot of that but the deductible. He has it on the sq baler, the 2 round balers, discbine, 2 or 3 tractors.... I think maybe the 14 wheel rake I use too. I will ask him what it is called; I know that it is added to the general farm policy, like maybe as a rider????

midTN_Brangusman said:
Didn't give them twenty cows and mineral or treat for flies in two months time?

Yes I did. I already had those purchased prior to the two month period, which is obviously an expense, but I didn't purchase it during those two months.

This was meant to be a light hearted post. It wasn't meant to be a lesson in farm finance or trying to say I can run a farm of 20 cows that cheap. As I stated in the original post, it doesn't account for depreciation, wear and tear, and all the other goodies that one counts as expenses in a year's time.

I'm just saying that as far as what I had to actually purchase by exchanging cash for goods during those two months; fifteen dollars worth of diesel was it.

Stocker Steve said:
Now you know where to focus - - get that fuel cost down!

That's true. I have had months in the winter where if I went in with full tanks and diesel cans already full, I didn't actually purchase any more for a few months. So, if I could have one of these periods in the winter where I'm not actually purchasing fuel, maybe I could have a period of $0 out of wallet.

Latest posts