Last Baling For 2019

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Just finished the last baling for the year. Using a 5410 Vermeer rebel. This baler has been worked on now for the last two years. New belts last year and were not used hardly at all. Lots of problems last year. Finally I got into the baler this year and did some adjusting on it and got it in the field today. First bale showed that I had no net E61 code. Forced the baler with the start net code. Got net on the bale and after that each bale had net installed as programmed. Did have some net wrapping on the rollers. I had bought a roll of Vermeer net wrap and it is a pretty sorry wrap. Tried it before and swore I would not buy it again but was handy as I was picking up some other stuff at the dealer. Pretty hard to keep windrows in shape with a south wind blowing at about 15 to 25 miles per hour. Got down to the last two windrows and the master link on the drive chain came undone. I cranked to other tractor that still had the other 5410 hooked up and finished the baling. Plan for next year to get each baler cleaned up and stored. I think I am planning to store the balers with the belts loosened. The baler I finished with will need some new belts. Also planning to install the heavy duty pickup teeth. I have them on the baler I had been working on and finally got to bale with it.

At least you got it done, that is a good feeling. I dream of the day I can work on my baler in the dead of winter in a nice warm dry shop.

Just glad you had something to bale. No rain here since early July so no hay cut after that and fields are still short, Got a good heavy rain last night but too late for this year. I'm sure the folks that had winter pasture planted appreciated the much needed moisture.

Been there done that ..... we also were fortunate to have a 2nd baler to take to the field to finish up.

Cut some mixed pasture grass today. It is thin and we have been terribly dry. But we can't run cattle here or on several other places we are still going to try to make 2nd cutting on. Haven't had enough rain to barely get the dust settled, had 3/10 the other day, they got 1.3 about 40 miles north. First in weeks and weeks.

Moved some cattle to some stockpiled grass in another section of one place we rotational graze. We will have grass most places for another month even if it doesn't rain much. Glad now that we are down in numbers a bit. Many around here have been feeding hay for 2 weeks, we haven't had to feed any of ours yet. Got one place they will need it pretty soon.

Latest posts