Large breeder sales

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
I attended a sale at one of the large angus breeders last year. I was interested in a couple of animals. One of the cows I was interested in looked good and had a good pedigree. I was going to bid a max of $5,000. A couple of other people kept bidding and the animal finally sold for $7,000. The same breeder is having a sale again this year and as usual I looked through the catalog. The same cow is for sale again this year. My guess is that the breeder had someone to bid on the animal to run up the price to what he had set as a minimum. Does this happen quite often? Seems like a good way for a breeder to guard against an animal selling for less than he was willing to take. Not condoning or condemning, just curious.

if they ever findout he has a runner bidding cattle up.his sale will hitt rock bottom fast.as a reg breeder id never have a runner bump my cattle ever.

or it could be that the person who bought it last sale never paid for the cow.

Saw a guy at a special sale last week that I "think" was bidding on his own cows. Would always place the 1st bid, never raised again and was checking them off the sell sheet and writing down the prices. When "his" finished, he got up and left. Might have been nothing to it but sure looked a bit strange.

Also noted I myself had to pay close attention to what was happening. A beautiful big high dollar cow would come in and if you hadn't paid attention you thought she was for sale when in effect you were buying the "heifer calf" only that she was still carrying......or you were buying a flush from the cow, bred to the bull of your choice with a guaranteed minimum on the number of embryos. Lots go on at all sales so have to really stay on your toes.

As an old timer once said about a certain sale barn, "you can get a very good education there but the tuition is extremely high". :lol2:

blacksnake":3n25yro6 said:
I attended a sale at one of the large angus breeders last year. I was interested in a couple of animals. One of the cows I was interested in looked good and had a good pedigree. I was going to bid a max of $5,000. A couple of other people kept bidding and the animal finally sold for $7,000. The same breeder is having a sale again this year and as usual I looked through the catalog. The same cow is for sale again this year. My guess is that the breeder had someone to bid on the animal to run up the price to what he had set as a minimum. Does this happen quite often? Seems like a good way for a breeder to guard against an animal selling for less than he was willing to take. Not condoning or condemning, just curious.

If you're still interested in the cow, call them up and ask why she's in the sale again. Maybe the buyer couldn't come up with the money, maybe it was a sight unseen sale and he didn't like what he saw, maybe she slipped a calf, there are several reasons that he might still have the cow. But you won't know unless you ask. Are you sure this isn't a flushmate to the one that sold last year?

At consignment sales, breeders will often put a minimum price (floor) on their cattle. But a production sale is different. I'd agree that if someone is caught running up the price of his own cattle, he's not going to be in business very long.

We've taken bids from other people on our bulls to bull sales. But we'll give the name and bid amount to one of the ringmen to handle. That way there can't be any confusion as to whether we're bidding on our own bulls or not.

TexasBred":24e69s9b said:
Saw a guy at a special sale last week that I "think" was bidding on his own cows. Would always place the 1st bid, never raised again and was checking them off the sell sheet and writing down the prices. When "his" finished, he got up and left. Might have been nothing to it but sure looked a bit strange.

Also noted I myself had to pay close attention to what was happening. A beautiful big high dollar cow would come in and if you hadn't paid attention you thought she was for sale when in effect you were buying the "heifer calf" only that she was still carrying......or you were buying a flush from the cow, bred to the bull of your choice with a guaranteed minimum on the number of embryos. Lots go on at all sales so have to really stay on your toes.

As an old timer once said about a certain sale barn, "you can get a very good education there but the tuition is extremely high". :lol2:

We used to go to a sale in Texas pretty regular. The breeder would have bids from regular customers on the first half dozen cows that came through the ring. He'd either bid on them for the customer or he'd ask someone in the crowd to bid up to a certain amount and give them the name if they won the bid. So it's really hard to know what's going on. Just don't bid if you're uncomfortable with how the sale is being run. He's still in business, but, for some reason, no longer has his production sale.

we had the same problem the guy who run the auction had guys bidding up cows after we ccaught on he was taking a lot of cows home because nobody would bid he just about went broke have to buy all them cows . well he wont be doing it here again they got run out on a rail and and now we have new auctioneer now hope it turns out better time will tell ,but you come across this with just about every auction !!

onecowfarms1":jvwwv67w said:
we had the same problem the guy who run the auction had guys bidding up cows after we ccaught on he was taking a lot of cows home because nobody would bid he just about went broke have to buy all them cows . well he wont be doing it here again they got run out on a rail and and now we have new auctioneer now hope it turns out better time will tell ,but you come across this with just about every auction !!

Heck that's the norm around here it seems. I see traders bidding on their own stuff all the time. The guy I mentioned in 1st post was at a customer appreciation sale at a very big and highly regarded ranch. Probably was a cooperator with the ranch or had consigned some cattle to be sold. Was actually the feed salesman from the company they buy all their feed from. Never bought a cow so figured he must have been bidding on his own.

At the customer appreciation sale, the feed salesman was a order buyer. He was recommend to us by some friends, he bought two for them, but my parents chose to use a man that was employed by the ranch. He may have been upping the price for his feed customers, but he was trying to buy some animals as well.

Latest posts