Knee replacement.

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I know many of you have probably been through knee replacement. Yesterday my Orthopedic Dr took 70 units of fluid off my left knee and put a Steriod shot in it. He stated this will only be a temporary help.
I go back in a month to discuss knee replacement.
What are the good and bad of it? Im type 2 Dietetic if that matters. How long before i can sort cattle or other farm work?

I know many of you have probably been through knee replacement. Yesterday my Orthopedic Dr took 70 units of fluid off my left knee and put a Steriod shot in it. He stated this will only be a temporary help.
What are the good and bad of it? Im type 2 Dietetic if that matters. How long before i can sort cattle or other farm work?
One of my assistants (mid 50's) had both of hers done at the same time. She was back at work in about 4 weeks. But, I doubt that she was sorting cattle. My best guess would be a minimum of 6 weeks before I would attemt that. But she is glad she got them replaced.

If you need some help during that time, let me know and I can come up and sort on a Saturday. But, you will have to buy me lunch.

One of my assistants (mid 50's) had both of hers done at the same time. She was back at work in about 4 weeks. But, I doubt that she was sorting cattle. My best guess would be a minimum of 6 weeks before I would attemt that. But she is glad she got them replaced.

If you need some help during that time, let me know and I can come up and sort on a Saturday. But, you will have to buy me lunch.
Lunch is very easy. Best restaurant around is at our stockyard.

fellow I know had both knees replaced a few years back, walked in at 9am, walked out at 4pm. exercise is good, but in moderation, and do as your physiotherapist tells you apparently. other than lacking feeling in his kneecap (don't kneel without padding) he says he's really good

I sailed through mine and was driving a manual vehicle within a week of mine. Mind you I was not driving in busy traffic I was a bit slow on the clutch, but going around to my bulls and carrying 20 litre buckets of feed. I was probably doing some sorting within 2 weeks. I think it was worth it, certainly fixed up the bone on bone grinding I was getting. I think that leg is a bit longer than my other one now and it does have a bit of click or clunk to it but no pain.
I think how long you are laid up just depends on your attitude and willingness to get on with things as opposed to hobbling around with a walker for months. When I went to have my skin staples taken out I jumped up and bounded in when the nurse called my name, she thought she had the wrong person, had to ask me if I had a knee replacement. I think I was about 67 when I had it, 72 now.

Ken

I sailed through mine and was driving a manual vehicle within a week of mine. Mind you I was not driving in busy traffic I was a bit slow on the clutch, but going around to my bulls and carrying 20 litre buckets of feed. I was probably doing some sorting within 2 weeks. I think it was worth it, certainly fixed up the bone on bone grinding I was getting. I think that leg is a bit longer than my other one now and it does have a bit of click or clunk to it but no pain.
I think how long you are laid up just depends on your attitude and willingness to get on with things as opposed to hobbling around with a walker for months. When I went to have my skin staples taken out I jumped up and bounded in when the nurse called my name, she thought she had the wrong person, had to ask me if I had a knee replacement. I think I was about 67 when I had it, 72 now.

Ken
But Ken, you are a BADAZZ!!!

Wife has had both knees done. Her family has many knees replaced, sisters, cousins...

You will be able to walk on it almost immediately but it will be six weeks minimum before you are able to feel like you are 100%. Hips are a quicker recovery. Doctors vary. Shop for one that does a lot of them, and maybe one that fixes other doctor's mistakes. My sis-in-law didn't and has had problems. We went to see her surgeon before her problems showed up and something seemed off so we went with a different guy. Found out later that the doc we went with has fixed the SIL's surgeon's mistakes a few times.

It's amazing how well the knees have worked out. You probably won't be able to get down on your knees and be comfortable, and you don't want to jump from anything, but other than that they function just like the real thing.

A neighbor (66or67) just had one done. He's very active and he didn't do anything farm related for five weeks. Still no cattle work, but back to running the tractor. His surgeon told him no mud, no falls and no sudden twisting for almost a year. Pretty much puts a nix on sorting in the spring around here.

Everyone I know who has had a joint replaced only regrets waiting so long to have it done.
Sister in law regrets going to the surgeon she chose, wrong size, joint broke, surgery to repair and 2nd new joint all in 2 years. Vast majority are successes, but no surgery is 100% or without a failure or 2.

My dad has had both replaced. 1 was replaced 3 times in 3 years. (He has an autoimmune disease and contracted staph and mrsa infections). A big thing that helped him was pre-therapy. He hasn't been able to help me on the farm in quite some time, but his recovery (better than he was when he went in, but nothing like sorting cattle) was about 4 weeks (on the 1st leg and on the 3rd replacement on the other leg). He was 72-75 years old during this. My grandma had hers replaced at 91. Honestly, less than 3 weeks and you'd never have known she'd had surgery.

Wife has had both knees done. Her family has many knees replaced, sisters, cousins...

You will be able to walk on it almost immediately but it will be six weeks minimum before you are able to feel like you are 100%. Hips are a quicker recovery. Doctors vary. Shop for one that does a lot of them, and maybe one that fixes other doctor's mistakes. My sis-in-law didn't and has had problems. We went to see her surgeon before her problems showed up and something seemed off so we went with a different guy. Found out later that the doc we went with has fixed the SIL's surgeon's mistakes a few times.

It's amazing how well the knees have worked out. You probably won't be able to get down on your knees and be comfortable, and you don't want to jump from anything, but other than that they function just like the real thing.
I cant get on my knees or jump down now so not much different.

Latest posts