Hip and Knee Joints.

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Any one on here have the artificial joints and what do you think of them.May have to have this done sometime in the future.

I had the left knee done about 18 mths ago, I am happy with it. I work it hard lifting a lot of things, a bit slower in movement than the original. My recovery was exceptional, walked out of hospital without any aides, was driving a manual transmission within a week and carrying buckets of feed.

Ken

Everyone that I have talked to has said that when they got it done, why did they wait so long. I know people that have done great with the knees, and one "girl" I work with, had her first hip replaced at 45 and the second this past year at 55. Said the relief from pain was unbelieveable.

I am going in to have ankle replacement in early Feb. I have tried every other form of treatment.....Prolotherapy, PRP (platelet rich plasma), injections. Did one round of stem cell. Nothing worked. Went to a dr at Duke Medical who does Stem cell and is very innovative. Told him all I'd done, and asked if he thought that more stem cell would help. He said that after looking at my ankle x-rays, that he truly believed that it would be a waste of my time and MONEY since it is not covered by any ins.. So I am going for the replacement. Took me 5 years to find one that said that replacement was the way to go.... all the rest wanted to fuse it and I knew that was not a good choice if I wanted to have any decent future of movement, walking etc.

If all goes well with this, the knee is next year. I have had the synvisc injections, a couple of times and it only bought a little time with very little relief. Did the prolotherapy and PRP on them too. Have been told to make sure to have the "QUAD - SPARING" type done as they don't cut the muscles and ligaments and tendons or whatever, they stretch them out and put in the knee replacement from the side and recovery time is MUCH SHORTER and supposed to be not as painful. One friend has a friend that boards her horse there, and she was back riding in about 6 weeks, and you can't tell she ever had it done.

The thing that everyone says; you have to do the therapy and exercises even though they hurt or you will lose the range of motion. A good friend of my mom's, had one knee down a couple years ago, and it was okay, more painful recovery than she thought. She had the second one done a year ago and said it was a breeze and she was back to normal activities in less than 2 months.
I sure don't want surgery, but I don't want to hurt like this anymore and I want to be able to walk normally again.

I may have posted it on another thread, but have a "date" for the ankle replacement on Feb 6th. Wanted to do it a little sooner, but it is good that things worked out this way.
My son slipped coming off the back of the hydrabed, after putting some stuff on it, and fell and hit the ground and broke the femur where the ball part fits into the hip joint. Had to have surgery, 3 screws to hold it back together, no weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. It happened Nov 6th. He has been on a walker, then graduated to crutches with the admonishment that if he puts weight on it and it moves, he is looking at hip replacement. Said that there is a 75-80% chance it will heal, but that blood flow to the bone is essential or the bone will die and he will have to have it replaced. So far the x-rays look promising. He goes back in the end of this week or next week for another x-ray and will start weight bearing and physical therapy if all is still good.
It has been a tough 2 months. Have a friend feeding silage with the skid loader to the weaned calves, I had been using the automatic hydrabed to feed some rolls of hay and now that they gave my son the okay to drive an automatic if he uses the brake with his left foot, he has been doing some. But needs someone to help because of opening gates and such. I cannot use the straight drive hydrabed because of the ankle and not being able to push that clutch in...it is a stiff one. I cannot get into and out of the skid loader with the ankle and the knee.....
So, if all goes well, he should be back on the rehab/recovery route and getting around when I go have mine done. I will be anywhere from 8 weeks of no weight bearing as they have to fuse one small joint, and do the replacement of the main joint so there will be some rehab right off, but the main work will be after the fused joint is good....so hoping for a 12-14 week total recovery. Can get a knee scooter, but have been looking at a "knee crutch" that I was told about. Think that it might really be better since then my hands will be free which crutches and the knee scooter have to use your hands.... Once the fused small joint is healed then will have a walking boot....

Let's just get through the holidays, and his getting an okay to get into weight and rehab work with his.....

What the medical field can do today is miraculous. It's still not as good as original equipment but beats the heck out of the alternative. Your outcome is only as good as your doctors. I chose the Fondren group they have people come from all over world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/texasorthopedic.com/about/newsroom/texas-orthopedic-hospital-achieves-highest-rating-in-houston%3famp=true

I have seen a few people have it done and go from near cripples to doing sports and working full time. Amazing to watch. My wifes auntie had a knee last year and she said dr told her she waited too long and all the tendons had shrunk to spaghetti size from lack of use. She had to build all the strength back up over time.

farmerjan said:
I may have posted it on another thread, but have a "date" for the ankle replacement on Feb 6th. Wanted to do it a little sooner, but it is good that things worked out this way.
My son slipped coming off the back of the hydrabed, after putting some stuff on it, and fell and hit the ground and broke the femur where the ball part fits into the hip joint. Had to have surgery, 3 screws to hold it back together, no weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. It happened Nov 6th. He has been on a walker, then graduated to crutches with the admonishment that if he puts weight on it and it moves, he is looking at hip replacement. Said that there is a 75-80% chance it will heal, but that blood flow to the bone is essential or the bone will die and he will have to have it replaced. So far the x-rays look promising. He goes back in the end of this week or next week for another x-ray and will start weight bearing and physical therapy if all is still good.
It has been a tough 2 months. Have a friend feeding silage with the skid loader to the weaned calves, I had been using the automatic hydrabed to feed some rolls of hay and now that they gave my son the okay to drive an automatic if he uses the brake with his left foot, he has been doing some. But needs someone to help because of opening gates and such. I cannot use the straight drive hydrabed because of the ankle and not being able to push that clutch in...it is a stiff one. I cannot get into and out of the skid loader with the ankle and the knee.....
So, if all goes well, he should be back on the rehab/recovery route and getting around when I go have mine done. I will be anywhere from 8 weeks of no weight bearing as they have to fuse one small joint, and do the replacement of the main joint so there will be some rehab right off, but the main work will be after the fused joint is good....so hoping for a 12-14 week total recovery. Can get a knee scooter, but have been looking at a "knee crutch" that I was told about. Think that it might really be better since then my hands will be free which crutches and the knee scooter have to use your hands.... Once the fused small joint is healed then will have a walking boot....

Let's just get through the holidays, and his getting an okay to get into weight and rehab work with his.....
I just read your post and makes me realize that I need to be out of the cow business. If something happened to me there would be no one that knows my routine. If I hired it done then I might as well find someone and give the cow herd to them as they would be doing better than me the owner.

Jan...Hoping your pending surgery & rehab/recovery goes well & very sorry to hear about your son's mishap. You're both in my thoughts & prayers. :heart:

Latest posts