Knee Replacement

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
I haven't been on the boards very much lately other than the occasional check-in... I underwent a total knee replacement on the 17th and am just now starting to feel like myself again.
I knew the day was coming and I just kept putting it off... Hoping that it will be worth it in the end. Anyone else here ever have a knee replaced?

The Doc replaced my right knee in September 2004. It was two years before I could use it as normal, but I also have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis which did not help the healing process.

The Doc replaced my right knee in September 2004. It was two years before I could use it as normal, but I also have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis which did not help the healing process.

I have missed your posts. Surely hope you will soon be back to yourself again. I know I am facing knee replacement. I fell on my bad knee last week, but thank The Lord I have been able to keep going. All the people that I know who have had them are well pleased with it.Hope yours turns out real well too. Take care.

Neighbor had both knees replaced a year apart. First one only kept him out of action for a couple of weeks the second about a month. The old fart that is rebuilding a Model A engine for me is 86. He's had both knees replaced some years ago, going to have one of the replacements replaced in a couple of weeks.

I haven't, but I have a good friend that had one replaced when he was in his early 50's. He's said he hasn't regretted it for a moment.

I had both knees completely replaced at same time in June 2012 and 1 year and 1 day later climbed Diamond Head in Hawaii. The most important thing is to stick with the rehab and not overdo farm work for first 6 months. I had put up with chronic pain for years (scared of having the op) and finally had to bite the bullet. Walked out of hospital, after three weeks which included two weeks rehab, on two walking sticks. I was determined to continue doing exercises so as to have quality of life and be able to still look after my cattle and travel. Op was a great success in my case, far exceeding my expectations. I still can't believe how good it is to be pain free. Just do as doctor and physios tell you and take the painkillers prescribed to enable you to do all the exercises. The result will be worth it. Good luck.

I've had both replaced. One in 2013 and one in 2014. Although, like Kerley, I have other issues with my legs due to auto immune disease, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Just to be rid of the pain of bone on bone is well worth it. I must stress that you have to bite the bullet and do the rehab. They won't get back in shape without the commitment. I have friends who put it off and today they will tell you the same thing. They regret suffering for so long. Good Luck!

The neighbor had rehab with the torture experts, but he also had these weird machine thing on his leg that he had to run several times a day that would force the knee to flex back and forth. Is that a pretty common deal?

dun":1pi4dfm5 said:
The neighbor had rehab with the torture experts, but he also had these weird machine thing on his leg that he had to run several times a day that would force the knee to flex back and forth. Is that a pretty common deal?

Some people here get that machine in the hospital. My Doc doesn't use it. He had me up and walking same day as surgery. Went home in two days and was driving in 3 weeks. Same schedule on the second knee.

dun":3c1sltu4 said:
Dun, yes I have that machine as well... it's called a Kinetic machine. I use it at least three times a day for a minimum of one hour each time. I only stayed in the hospital for two days and started going to therapy the next week. Every day is getting better and I am actually walking around the house without the aid of a walker today. I have already been up to check the cows with the help of my wife, and I plan to drive a little tomorrow. Thank you all for the words of encouragement!
Brian

Of the many people I've known who had knees replaced, those who got bad results tended to be those who were substantially overweight and didn't lose it. I forget the precise physics loads, but I vaguely recall that 1 # of body weight translates to a 4# load on your knee. Or some such...

I had to delve into this stuff for a work project a few years back and I came to realize that the medical device industry (esp. makers of artificial joints) were salivating over our aging and increasingly obese population...I think they probably subsidize fast food and Twinkies. ;-)

Of course, extremely active people also wear out their joints, and often quite young.

dun":2744lxml said:

Yes, I think so, Dun. Mother had both knees replaced (different times) and she was hooked up to the machine when she came out of surgery.

I'm just getting around to reading a bit on here Brian. Congrats on your new knee! I too have heard and dealt with many success stories for this surgery. Very hopeful that you will do well and be happy that you did it. :D
Keeping extra weight off is very important to future success.
Wishing you all the best in your recovery! :tiphat:

Have had one done. Didn't go to rehab just went to the beach and waded in the salt water. Was walking on my own two weeks before they said I should expect to. Haven't had any trouble so far although there was a period when I was a pretty good weather forecaster.

Jogeephus":e0gaxof8 said:
Have had one done. Didn't go to rehab just went to the beach and waded in the salt water. Was walking on my own two weeks before they said I should expect to. Haven't had any trouble so far although there was a period when I was a pretty good weather forecaster.
I know what you mean about the weather.... :lol: It has been just over a couple of weeks since my surgery and I am already walking around without any assistance from a cane or walker. I am going to therapy though... I want to get my flexibility back as quickly as I can. Jo, have you found that you can do more things now that you had the surgery or do you feel more limited now? I guess what I'm really asking is... Is there anything that you can't do now that you wished you could?

Latest posts