KING TEN / DR ACHIEVER 8403

Help Support CattleToday:

jenran

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone remembers anything about King Ten or DR Achiever 8403 and their progeny?????? Something I heard about King Ten ??? can't remember.... Thanks :D

Actually jenran check out this site HillsGaloreStockFarm.com-Alvin has used both those bulls and would be more than happy to visit with you about them.

Thanks for the info. it's always good to here others opinions. I am thinking of using a bull with DR Achiever 8403 on both sides of his pedigree . Love to here that 8403 daughters had good udders !!!! :D

jenran":rxxhlqvx said:
Just wondering if anyone remembers anything about King Ten or DR Achiever 8403 and their progeny?????? Something I heard about King Ten ??? can't remember.... Thanks :D

Not much King Ten semen left around, a little more Achiever semen is available and it has been selling for around $100 a straw.

I have some Achiever daughters and they are good cows - milking machines as stated. The only fault I've seen in them is that some of them don't hold up in their udder/teat structure over time.

I was the runner-up bidder on this bull in this year's Mill Creek Ranch sale:

MCR_King_Ten_595.jpg

MCR King Ten 595

It's probable that this bull is the only living Hereford bull left that is 100% Ferry Carpenter breeding.

He is just a LITTLE bit linebred! :lol:

It's a little ironic that I had such an interest in this bull (frame size 4.4) when most of the latest conversation about Hereford bulls on this board has been about a bull that is 3 frame scores larger.

Mill Creek was retaining a 50% semen interest in him and I believe someone in Nebraska was the high bidder on him.

I hope they collect him. I think he's a useful genetic tool -with his unique pedigree, a decent phenotype for being so intensely linebred, and the fact that his dam weighs less than 1200 pounds and she weaned him off at much better than 50% of her body weight at 11 years old, the most efficient Hereford cow at Mill Creek Ranch in that regard.

I was buying him as a "project" and was going to use him as a clean-up bull, but decided to stop bidding at $3100, which was $600 more than I said was going to be my "top" for him before the sale started. I probably should have bid more in retrospect.

Northern Rancher":31ztp1p9 said:
You don't know who it might of been in Nebraska that bought him. It wasn't Spencer's by any chance.

No, I can't see Dale buying a herd bull with a frame score of 4.4.

I believe the person's name was Turner.

I noticed that Mill Creek still hadn't transferred the papers on the bull, so I called Dave Breiner and asked about him.

They have collected the bull and plan to place him in the AHA non-cert program with his semen selling for $50 a straw.

Like I said, he looks like he a could be a useful genetic tool - if you've got some cows that you want to pull some frame off of and hopefully increase efficiency.

George

$50/straw?

This is a big part of why Herefords are not as popular as they once were with commercial folks.

That is 2x as much as it should be, maybe even a little more.

I would be very interested in trying this bull for $15-$20 dollars per straw.

And I would be willing to try him on registered cows, but I bet they want even more for that semen and then I have to pay for a certificate.

That is a really nice bull. I like him a lot.

I won't pay that much to try him.

Wish I would have known about a bull like him before the sale. I sure might have considered sending some money to help a partner out for that money.

I would have been able to sell more total dollars of semen at my prices, I would bet.

Badlands

He's about 14% inbred.

Not really too much, but not a mating you see a lot.

I was considering using him over some 35-40% inbred Prospectors.

Badlands

Badlands":1m80cktw said:
And I would be willing to try him on registered cows, but I bet they want even more for that semen and then I have to pay for a certificate.

The cost of the semen would be the same whether it was used on registered or commercial cows. Plus, since he's in the non-cert program, there would be no cost for a cetificate. At least that's the way I understand it. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

VanC":1mduu7aj said:
The cost of the semen would be the same whether it was used on registered or commercial cows. Plus, since he's in the non-cert program, there would be no cost for a cetificate. At least that's the way I understand it. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you're correct! No cert cost which makes the $50 price more palatable.

David said that the semen that they had collected was extremely good as well.

Thanks for correcting my error in thinking.

$20 semen + $30 cert when you don't stick every one is more expensive than this new non-cert program. I misunderstood the way it worked.

This might be a great option as I think cert programs are one of the more counterfeit things to ever hit the purebred industry. All it really does is stack the deck in favor of the big boys. Of course, they are the ones on the board so they make the rules. ;-)

Badlands

I really like the Mill Creek bull---looks like he's got some natural thickness. Any ideas on where I could find some pictures of DR Achiever daughters ????? Was DR Achiever straight horned?????

jenran":3133elk7 said:
I really like the Mill Creek bull---looks like he's got some natural thickness. Any ideas on where I could find some pictures of DR Achiever daughters ????? Was DR Achiever straight horned?????

Here is an Achiever daughter, a former Denver Champion, owned by Larson Polled Herefords:

12G.jpg

Achiever was a horned Hereford bull.

George

Latest posts