Killing Peacocks

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Wasn't really sure where to post this but here we go... We have had peacocks around the farm for as long as I can remember. Lately though, something has been killing them while they are roosting at night (they typically roost in the same tree). What is weird to me is that whatever is doing this doesn't seem to be interested in eating them... just killing them.

The last two, the heads were missing but that was it. Now I know a coon will kill in this fashion, but would a coon climb a tree and kill a peacock? I was thinking bobcat, but wouldn't a cat carry the kill off to eat and not just leave it there? I have set a live trap in hopes of trapping the culprit, but not sure if that will work. Looking for suggestions...What do you guys think could be killing them?

If it's a varmint it has to leave tracks unless it's a flying one.
All that leave tracks that I have dealt with consume part or all of the kill.
My vote is Great Horned Owl that's his M.O.

Sounds like a Fisher's MO. They are one of the largest members of the weasel family. Not sure if you have them in your area. We have them in northern Adirondak mountains in NY. They are one of the only animals that prey on porcupines. We're getting them more around the rest of the state. They will kill wild turkeys out of a roosting tree.

Caustic Burno said:
If it's a varmint it has to leave tracks unless it's a flying one.
All that leave tracks that I have dealt with consume part or all of the kill.
My vote is Great Horned Owl that's his M.O.
I agree CB, I looked hard for tracks but unfortunately one of the trees that they roost in comes up through the back deck so there aren't any visible tracks. That, and pretty much everything is frozen right now so identifying tracks would be difficult at best. I gave a some thought about owls but wasn't sure how they kill. I will look further into that. I am placing the traps out tonight.

Owls are savage. Saw one pick the brain out of one of my birds the other day. Just the brain. Left the rest.

We caught a mink last week at our place. Killed two chickens and I have a third in the garage with a hole in her neck. Mink will open the neck or take the head and drink the blood leaving the rest there. We thought we had a raccoon doing this during the summer, but we're pretty sure the headless birds we found were this dang mink. He's no longer a problem....

The thread title made me think they'd be suggestions on the most efficient ways to dispatch peacocks. :roll:
Always thought I wanted them until somebody dumped some at my driveway. Took about 48 hrs to come to my senses.

If I were your neighbor, it would be me blowing their heads off. I hate those screeching bast**ds. Someone told me to get peacocks to keep the rattlesnakes away. I would rather have rattlesnakes.

TN Cattle Man said:
Wasn't really sure where to post this but here we go... We have had peacocks around the farm for as long as I can remember. Lately though, something has been killing them while they are roosting at night (they typically roost in the same tree). What is weird to me is that whatever is doing this doesn't seem to be interested in eating them... just killing them.

The last two, the heads were missing but that was it. Now I know a coon will kill in this fashion, but would a coon climb a tree and kill a peacock? I was thinking bobcat, but wouldn't a cat carry the kill off to eat and not just leave it there? I have set a live trap in hopes of trapping the culprit, but not sure if that will work. Looking for suggestions...What do you guys think could be killing them?

In a tree and a peacock not sure what that could be but I do know in order to catch a predator like a bobcat in a live trap it has to be desperately hungry and or mentally ill..... If you want to catch predators like cats you need a foot trap as they work better. I honestly think it may be a coon though.

Dave said:
If I were your neighbor, it would be me blowing their heads off. I hate those screeching bast**ds. Someone told me to get peacocks to keep the rattlesnakes away. I would rather have rattlesnakes.
I agree with you... But I'm sure you have heard the saying "Happy Wife, Happy Life"!! :lol2:

skyhightree1 said:
TN Cattle Man said:

In a tree and a peacock not sure what that could be but I do know in order to catch a predator like a bobcat in a live trap it has to be desperately hungry and or mentally ill..... If you want to catch predators like cats you need a foot trap as they work better. I honestly think it may be a coon though.
Will hopefully find out tonight! Setting 3 live traps... 2 with sardines and 1 with canned dog food.

TN Cattle Man said:
skyhightree1 said:
TN Cattle Man said:

Will hopefully find out tonight! Setting 3 live traps... 2 with sardines and 1 with canned dog food.

Please let us know if you catch anything. :yuck: my last meal of choice is always rotten chicken. Everything nasty loves rotting chicken :yuck:

And this thread has confirmed to not get peacocks. I was debating picking some up as i have a real nice pond area at our new place and thought they'd look pretty....i should probably stick to ducks...

My guess is a Mink. I've had them get in chickens and all that's missing was the head.

sstterry said:
If you catch the culprit, set up a game camera since they always roost in the same tree.
Set up a game camera after you catch the culprit? Is that reverse psychology? :D

Oppossum will bite a chickens head off and just drink the blood, I've caught one in the act. I've been told they are blood thirsty. They usually stick to the ground but will occasionally climb trees. I'm interested to hear what you catch. Good luck.

Latest posts