Killing Peacocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Some great replies... One thing that I should mention is that a peacock will roost very high in the tall trees. My guess would be 30 feet high or so. Does that give any additional clues as to who the culprit is? Something sure has them riled up. Went to feed the horses tonight and there were a couple perched in the rafters of the horse barn. I have never seen them in there before.

TN Cattle Man said:
Some great replies... One thing that I should mention is that a peacock will roost very high in the tall trees. My guess would be 30 feet high or so. Does that give any additional clues as to who the culprit is? Something sure has them riled up. Went to feed the horses tonight and there were a couple perched in the rafters of the horse barn. I have never seen them in there before.

That definitely moves the needle to owl in my book.

Well.... nothing in the traps this morning! Went out several times last night with a spotlight looking for owls (probably why nothing in the traps...LoL). No dead peacocks this morning! The mystery continues...

Surplus killing or Henhouse syndrome. Have never seen an owl practice this, they kill to eat. Over here it would be something like a skunk, mongoose or genet. Whoever suggested racoon or mink are proberly correct as they are known for 'surplus killing'.

I've caught hawks red handed killing chickens and just eating the head/neck. Owls will do it too. Perhaps they start at the head and get interrupted before continuing, I don't know.

I have not seen a spotted skunk since I do not know when. When younger there were a few around. People called them civet cats. They would slip into the chicken house and grab a chicken for the roost and kill it and eat the head and the head only.

But mink wouldn't climb the tree would they??
I owned Peafowl for many years. Love them. (BTW - they do NOT like water/pond???)
Owl would my first thought. They will kill a large bird and just eat the gullet out.
Next would be fisher and raccoons - but I would think they would eat "some" of it. I know skunks will kill lots of chickens - bite their head off - then "plan" to come back and eat as they needed.
Edit: I too, thought you were asking about YOU killing them. We used to kill our excess and I would make peocock & dumplings - YUMMY.

If you visit a zoo, that loud obnoxious, annoying, non-stop screeching racket you hear from one end of the zoo to the other is peacocks. All they do is walk around, screech and poop about every 3rd step.
Neighbor had several about 3 houses down when I was a kid, and they never shut up till after dark.
They poop every bit as much and often as a goose.

Well, like I said, I raised them for many years. Yes, they can be vocal, but, generally only when something is "different" - like a car/truck pulling in the driveway. They were great watch dogs! In the beginning, neighbors thought a women was in the woods yelling for HELP (male sounds like that). I also had geese for a short period. They pooped all around the "people" areas near house. Peafowl pretty much stayed away from the house. They are magnificent to watch. My butcher has a huge flock of them started from a trio I gave him. I love the white ones, but they are the first to get snatched by fox when they nest.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
But mink wouldn't climb the tree would they??
I owned Peafowl for many years. Love them. (BTW - they do NOT like water/pond???)
Owl would my first thought. They will kill a large bird and just eat the gullet out.
Next would be fisher and raccoons - but I would think they would eat "some" of it. I know skunks will kill lots of chickens - bite their head off - then "plan" to come back and eat as they needed.
Edit: I too, thought you were asking about YOU killing them. We used to kill our excess and I would make peocock & dumplings - YUMMY.
Funny you should say that! I have often wonder if anyone eats them! I guess that answers that question!!

cowgal604 said:
Owls are savage. Saw one pick the brain out of one of my birds the other day. Just the brain. Left the rest.

My guess would be owl too.....

**UPDATE**
This morning when checking the traps, I caught the biggest, nastiest, wildest Tom Cat that I've ever seen! This cat has to weigh at least 10lbs!! What are the chances that a feral cat could be the culprit?? Not sure if a cat would climb a tree to kill, but maybe he waits for when they fly out at first light... and then there's the missing head thing. The good news is that we haven't lost another peacock in a couple days now.

TN Cattle Man said:
**UPDATE**
This morning when checking the traps, I caught the biggest, nastiest, wildest Tom Cat that I've ever seen! This cat has to weigh at least 10lbs!! What are the chances that a feral cat could be the culprit?? Not sure if a cat would climb a tree to kill, but maybe he waits for when they fly out at first light... and then there's the missing head thing. The good news is that we haven't lost another peacock in a couple days now.

Not that the cat won't kill the peacock, cats will kill for fun as well. Never seen one just decapitate, always been eat it or leave it.

TN Cattle Man said:
**UPDATE**

Good chance. Seen it with chickens.

Latest posts