Killing deer. What do you use?

Help Support CattleToday:

General issue m4 battle sights are adjustable front and rear iron sights.
There are all kinds of optional optics tho, depending on mission.

List is a long one and I may forget some but I have taken deer with: Bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, .22LR, .223, .243, 6mm Remington, 7mm-08, 7.62x39, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, .308, .303 British, .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 acp, .40 S&W, 12 gauge, .410 shotgun slug.

I have taken elk and black bear with a bow, 6mm Remington, 7mm Rem Mag

Jistuason":1eq2puun said:
The only deer rifle I have ever used is a Springfield 1903-A3 my dad gave me when I was 13. It has put many a deer in the freezer over the last 10 years and I've only had to sight it in twice. Y'all can have your fancy scopes I'll stick with what works for me, good old fashion military peep sights.

One of the 30-06s I have is an 03-A3 that my Dad sporterized back in the late 50's. I can remember coming home from Sunday School and finding Dad with newspaper strung out on the living room floor working on the stock. It had a Williams peep sight on it for years. Dad up graded to a Weaver 3X scope sometime in the late 60's or early 70's. Not exactly a fancy high dollar scope. That rifle has shot a number of deer, a couple elk, and two or three moose. I shot one deer with it just to be able to Dad that I did. The rifle is in line to be given to my oldest grandson when he gets old enough to hunt.

Dave":1x3bdzvn said:
Jistuason":1x3bdzvn said:
The only deer rifle I have ever used is a Springfield 1903-A3 my dad gave me when I was 13. It has put many a deer in the freezer over the last 10 years and I've only had to sight it in twice. Y'all can have your fancy scopes I'll stick with what works for me, good old fashion military peep sights.

One of the 30-06s I have is an 03-A3 that my Dad sporterized back in the late 50's. I can remember coming home from Sunday School and finding Dad with newspaper strung out on the living room floor working on the stock. It had a Williams peep sight on it for years. Dad up graded to a Weaver 3X scope sometime in the late 60's or early 70's. Not exactly a fancy high dollar scope. That rifle has shot a number of deer, a couple elk, and two or three moose. I shot one deer with it just to be able to Dad that I did. The rifle is in line to be given to my oldest grandson when he gets old enough to hunt.

You all got a good subject going on with the talk of hand me down rifles and the memories they bring back for me. They were nothing fancy and a lot were converted bolt action military rifles you could buy out of catalog for a couple dollars, but they were meant for one thing and that was to put meat on the table and not racks on the wall. Today it does seem to be all fancy and brand new guns with not much regards to the rifles our grandfather or fathers that carried them. They just get pushed back to the back of the gun safe. For me I have a hand full of guns that were passed down from my grandparents to my uncles and father and then to me and I hope to one day pass them on to my daughter. Some aren't pretty to look at but the majority of them are very functional and will get the job done. Its a great feeling when you can take the same firearm your grandfather carried out and shoot some small game or deer with.

Latest posts