Killing deer. What do you use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
It's that time of the year in Texas. I chastised a fellow tonight for wounding a buck w a 22 Hornet. I like something w more pop for someone that can't shot em in the eye. What do you like to kill game with? Rifle, shotgun, pistol, bow, crossbow..? What's your preferred weapon?

20ga 16 ga, and .50 cal muzzleloader. No rifles in IL, dang Chicago.

Those Texas runts you could kill with a spit wad. :lol:

sim.-ang.king":38tqjeoj said:

Yea....I have a buddy that corn feeds em all year with a coffee can...shoots em in the head w a 22 pistol.... I like his sausage ..... It takes all kinds...

Kingfisher":ntaqmc27 said:
sim.-ang.king":ntaqmc27 said:

Yea....I have a buddy that corn feeds em all year with a coffee can...shoots em in the head w a 22 pistol.... I like his sausage ..... It takes all kinds...

:lol2:

A .270. All of mine are bucket raised, I could probably toll em in a trailer, and haul em to the slaughter house though.

For the last 10 years I've used a Model 70 carbine in 250 Savage, before that a 6.5 Bullberry Improved in a Contender or in some places a 257 Roberts Improved in a M70 Featherweight. The old Farm I used a Redhawk 41 Magnum.

I use a 280 AI mostly. But I've shot a truck load of deer with a 22 long rifle.

Kingfisher":38rjs6r4 said:
sim.-ang.king":38rjs6r4 said:

Probably doesn't matter to him but does he know that hunting with any caliber rimfire ammo is illegal??

TexasBred":1tlobjdn said:
Kingfisher":1tlobjdn said:
sim.-ang.king":1tlobjdn said:

Probably doesn't matter to him but does he know that hunting with any caliber rimfire ammo is illegal??

That is correct tb.
I can't stand that law a 22 ,Will kill a deer as dead as a nuclear bomb.
It's perfectly legal to shoot one with primitive archery equipment though.?
I've got pretty much all your traditional calibers. I guess my old model 70 with a Redfield 4x in 270 is my favorite.
It doesn't seem to matter much though. Maybe I'm checking em wrong, but no matter what I've shot em with. They seem to all be about the same amount of dead.

For Deer and Antelope;

.243 Remington CDL, 6mm Improved Savage with a custom Kreiger barrel, 25-06 Remington Model 700 ADL, 25-06 Improved Savage model 110 with a McGowan Barrel., 280 Improved Savage Model 110.

For Elk;

300 Win Mag Browning A Bolt or a 300 WSM in a Savage model 16. 30-06 Pre 64 Model 70(since 1963), and a Model 99 Savage in 308.

I've put down several black bears with a .22 (I don't consider it hunting).. the got about 70 yards away before falling over dead.. I NEVER take a shot that I'm not certain will hit my target. All my hunting is close range.. less than 100 yards, so I might start using the SKS since ammo is so cheap. I have a 7mm Rem Mag I'm getting "tuned up" that'll be sighted for about 300 yards, and I have a 308 for 100 yard stuff.. any one of which kills stuff dead with a decent shot.

I started deer hunting in the mid 80's with my old Savage in .222Remington. 2 years ago, my wife won a Savage Hunter Special in .223 at the local Gun Show. Now that is my deer rifle. Never had to shoot twice with the .222.

Over the years I've killed deer with several different calibers. Here is a list of the ones I remember. .410, 30-30, .257 Roberts, .300 win mag, 7mm mag, 30 06, .300 wby mag

Latest posts