Kill the fatted calf

Help Support CattleToday:

perda04

Reaction score
It is amazing to see the auto union reactions when the employer is trying to fend of bankruptcy amidst loosing $38B

GM Truck Plant closings

Truck output will end at plants in Oshawa, Ontario; Moraine, Ohio; Janesville, Wisconsin; and Toluca, Mexico. The factories produce models such as the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra large pickups, TrailBlazer and Envoy SUVs and medium-duty trucks.

The plants will close in 2009 and 2010 and probably won't reopen, Wagoner said. They employ a total of 7,590 hourly and 676 salaried employees, the company said.

Buzz Hargrove, president of the Toronto-based Canadian Auto Workers union, said closing Oshawa would violate the three-year contract reached with GM last month.

````We are not going to allow this to happen,'' he said at a news conference, declining to specify how the union will respond.

Not only that but large companies like GM that have been around for long enough have thousands of pensions they are paying on with no current productivity.

What gets to me is that the plant in Arlington has been threatened with closing so many times and seems to avoid it every time. When I lived in Arlington, and the union went on strike, mind, this was in the eighties, there was a news reporter in the parking lot and there wasn't a GN car parked out there. Lots of Toyotas and Nissans, but no GM products.

Don't get me wrong. I drive a Silverado. I'm getting used to it anyway... but it is like someone said, those guys make way too much money and demand such fantastic benefits, they have priced themselves out of the market.

Yeah, it sucks, but I got really tired of hearing about it on the new for 15 minutes. The plant near me is gonna fight to get car production.

I hate to see anything that actually produces something close. Its a shame. I just wonder what is next. The gov't best wake up and ease up on the many disinsintives that stand in the way of someone sticking their neck out on a new venture or they might find themselves out of a job as well.

The only reason GM builds vehicles anymore is to have something to finance. GM is much like the American government. You've got 3 people working to pay the benefits for 10 that don't. GM is changing from a car company to one of the largest finance companies in the world. Given enough time, we probably won't see any more GM vehicles.

grannysoo":v9irejgi said:
The only reason GM builds vehicles anymore is to have something to finance. GM is much like the American government. You've got 3 people working to pay the benefits for 10 that don't. GM is changing from a car company to one of the largest finance companies in the world. Given enough time, we probably won't see any more GM vehicles.

Granny you're right on with the financing issue. The same for companies like GE, BestBuy and on and on....that's where the money is.

I read somewhere that Best Buy makes most of their profit from the extended warrantes they sell. We never buy those. It surprised me to see how many people did.

grannysoo":wzra4k9w said:

Agree completely. In 20 years, they might be known as GM Life Insurance! :secret:

Latest posts