KCF B Southside or EC Angus w/o Final Answer

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Has anyone had calves out of ABS bull Southside?
Actually looking at easy calving Angus bull with solid SC &HP EPDs...without SAV Final Answer.
I like bulls with a little more set to back legs rather that straight-legged.
Thanks. ( I like KCF Absolute for bulls with SAV Final Answer).

Connealy Thunder and Nichols Extra K205 are two bulls that come to mind. Both of these bulls are older and highly proven. Though I haven't used either bull to date, they are on my short list for this year. I have had several producers tell me that the daughters out of these two bulls are highly productive and last for many years. Also, I have noticed when I look through sale and semen catalogs that frequently these bulls are in the pedigrees; especially as maternal grandsires.

The heifers are out of Final Answer or his son. I have seen a lot of Sitz Upward crossed with Final Answer.

Air gator":p9xgx6qh said:
The heifers are out of Final Answer or his son. I have seen a lot of Sitz Upward crossed with Final Answer.

. . . and that means "what" to you? Do you consider this factor a negative to your breeding program?

DOC HARRIS

Air Gator....I have a heifer out of Southside that I purchased from the Bennetts (great folks by the way). She just had her first calf also a heifer in December. My Southside heifer had no problems calving unassisted 81 lbs bw (didn't have to touch her), produces lots of milk with good teat structure, and phenotypically is a beautiful animal. She eats some groceries, but I don't mind for the calf she is producing. So yes....I recommend him. I also got an Absolute bred heifer at the same time. She also had a heifer calf in December unassisted that is also doing great 65 lbs birth weight. Love them. I would say my Southside heifer has a little more frame/height than my Absolute heifer. Hope that helps.

FourSquare, thanks for your feedback. I like KCF's program. I like Southside's fertility and Absolute caught my eye a while ago.
Doc... I really like Final Answer. He's earned his wings. I like the fact that he gained popularity because of his commercial heifers. I was just looking for bulls that would be an outcross.
I was thinking out loud about Upward and FA.
No one mentioned Upshot. Thanks.

Air gator":1zvr7esf said:
FourSquare, thanks for your feedback. I like KCF's program. I like Southside's fertility and Absolute caught my eye a while ago.
Doc... I really like Final Answer. He's earned his wings. I like the fact that he gained popularity because of his commercial heifers. I was just looking for bulls that would be an outcross.
I was thinking out loud about Upward and FA.
No one mentioned Upshot. Thanks.

What do you as positives from upward other than popularity due to growth?

He seems sound to me with a really straight top line. It may be like a chicken or an egg thing but Henrietta Pride seems to be in demand. Barstow Cash and some other nice animals have Upward in them. I think you have to pick your spots with him.

I guess it depends on which side of the angus fence you're on with regards to upward. I'm a little old fashioned in my thoughts as to what the breed should do for me so he nowhere near fits the bill for moderating frame, milk, and adding fleshing ability.
I kept a small portion of a mans registered cows last spring and summer on a rental farm, some conneally cows and some sitz cows were in the bunch; the upward cows liked to killed theirselves trying to milk like Holsteins with no sup in the middle of 8 weeks with no rain on ky31 in the middle of summer. On the flip side those upward calves really did grow; of the cows my favorite was CAR duke, she held her flesh; looked to weigh no more than 1400 and raised a respectable calf.
I see several high selling sitz Bulls coming out of upward females though.

How big were the Upward cows? 1,400 sounds good to me.
I saw some embryos out of a cow with a milk EPD of 10.
I don't remember her WW or YW epds. I was worried that 10 was too low and CEM on the bull was low so I passed.

Latest posts