Kamars or Estrus Alert

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
I'm contemplating using either the Kamar or Estrus Alert patches to aid in heat detection. Experiences and opinions on which is better would be valued. Or experiences with other "patch" type heat detection aids would also be welcome.

thanks,

We have used both. Estrus Alert patches are easier for a cow to rub off under a limb. EA patches give a better indication if the cow just came into heat. Can see a partially rubbed patch. Kamars just break the bubble and they are red. Give no indication if cow just came in. We have found best mix is to use EA and use extra glue that you buy for Kamars. btw...EA patches have adhesive backs.

Hope this helps.

Farmgirl

I bred a hundred head of heifers last year with Kamars and we had several that didn't break or barely broke even though the heifer had obviously been rode. We bred them anyway.

I bred a hundred head for the same fella this year with EA's on them with , what I felt like was, much better indication.

I like the EA. We have too many trees to use the Kamar's. The cows rub on the trees and break the Kamar all they do is scratch the EA. I have also noticed that the Kamars don't work well in the winter.

The price works out to be about the same, I think.

James, don't buy the estrus alerts...I have some in sample packs I'll send ya. Let me know how many you want.

The cows rub on the trees and break the Kamar all they do is scratch the EA.

You can definitely tell the difference between a rub on a tree limb and another cow riding them with the EA patches. Don't think you can distinguish with Kamars.

dun":8k9p19yk said:
Gee, and we alwasy used tailhead painting

dun

Dun you are old and cheap. Not a bad thing just true.
You also maybe a little smarter than the rest of us???

The EA patches work great. wouldnt go back.

MD

I have always just used white spray paint. Works good and it rubs off with the hair.

I guess it depends on how many you're breeding. If you are just breeding 10 cattle and they won't all be in in a day, don't use anything but good head detection. If you are setting up 100 some always jump the gun. Pull them, breed them and give them . It'd be pretty hard to pull 20 hot ones from a hundred head without riding pens on a horse or patches..

Sounds like most of you prefer the EA patches. I was leaning towards them for some of the same reasons you all had mentioned, so this pretty much confirms it. Well, that and since Cert has so graciously agreed to spot me a few to sample, it is a done deal.

Thanks to all those who offered opinions and experiences. Or if other's still have comments, I'd love to hear them.

thanks again,

Are the Estrus Alert tags the ones like "scratch" games? I got mine thru Genex. Like them real well BUT - don't apply them to cows that recently got pour on insecticide - they slide right off :shock: I found out the hard way - eeeks - how dumb!!!
I mostly use the "crayon" sticks & mark the tail head
Remember - all of these are just an AID to go along with visual.
White spray paint - hmmm - sounds like a good idea.

I'm not sold on either, have too many low hanging branches. I have found that I've lost quite a few EAs and have AI-ed quite a few with red Kamars that ended up being on heat two days later.

So my advice is... use it as a help when you are unsure, but if you don't see any signs of estrous, but the kamar is red the chances are good that its a false alarm.

Dun and Others,

How exactly do you paint the tailhead and with what type of paint. How does the spray paint show you anything? Does it crumble and break? surely it can't smudge? What do you look for?

KNERSIE":x8s30r6a said:
How exactly do you paint the tailhead and with what type of paint. How does the spray paint show you anything? Does it crumble and break? surely it can't smudge? What do you look for?

We use the grease paint sticks and just coat it on usually in a trianle from the tail head to the hooks. It's rubs off when they're ridden. Also leaves a tell tail on the riders.

dun

Yes it is, but you don;t put the paint on real thick. Some folks just paint the tail head to about the pins and down a little on either side of the tail head. I just do it like I was taught.

dun

I didn;t look at the price since I still have a bunch of them. Ours aren't as fancy as those in the picture. Ours you have to peel the wrapping back.

dun

Latest posts