Just thought someone might find this interesting

Help Support CattleToday:

Turkeybird":zip73rx4 said:
That's why you run a low stocking rate

In some soils even a low stocking rate will do damage. Cattle being heard animals they congregate in one place which will do plenty of damage. Say you have 10 animals on 100 acres that doesn't mean that they are all evenly spaced, it often means that all 10 animals are standing around a single point occupying 100sqft causing extensive root damage if it happens to be near a tree. For instance in the spring/early summer UP here when the sap is running the cows will congregate around a single tree that has a wound on it to lick the dripping sugary sap.

I don't think they'd find pine sap to tasty. :lol2: Only problem I've seen was a logger left a battery in the woods and the cows treated this like a salt lick and several cows were killed before the problem was identified.

Jogeephus":2m9mhx3g said:
chevytaHOE5674":2m9mhx3g said:
Jogeephus":2m9mhx3g said:
"the woods aren't good for cattle but the cattle are good for the woods". There is a lot of truth in this

As a schooled forester I will say that all depends on the soil type and tree species growing. Well drained ground with appropriate species (IE sandy soils with generally pine) that is true, lesser drained soils typically with more hardwood species it is the opposite of the truth.

I have a lot of woods fenced for pasture and all of it is our typical clay to clay/loam soil with hardwood species growing (maple, birch, ash, oak, aspen, etc). Within 3 years of fencing in the woods and turning cattle loose I have crown die back in 60% of the trees and mortality in 10%, this can be attributed to the compaction and root disturbance. Go 15 feet onto the neighbors land which sits untouched and there is no meaningful crown die back.

True. As with anything else there is no one size fits all management prescription. I live in the coastal plain which is supposed to be pine with a grass understory. When Bartram traveled through this area he noted that one could ride seven horses abreast through the forests and he noted it had a grass understory. Here is a picture of some land that has been managed using a multiple use approach and it is in a similar state to which Bartram described. Plenty of timber production, plenty of wildlife and ample food for cattle.

22281726_1776012876029937_644879700853502815_n.jpg
I like that.

Enjoyed the woods in georgia while I was there, always thought it would make for neat hunting being able to see that far in. Can't see 30ft here.

Jogee, the colleges are spending lots of mone year on these studies also. They are calling it Silva pasture. They even done some tests saying honey locust was good for producing high protein seeds for sheep. They almost got ran out of some meetings for mentioning it.

kenny thomas":hgajq40o said:
Jogee, the colleges are spending lots of mone year on these studies also. They are calling it Silva pasture. They even done some tests saying honey locust was good for producing high protein seeds for sheep. They almost got ran out of some meetings for mentioning it.

:lol: :lol: Give em grant money and I'm sure they'd be happy to re-invent the wheel. Publish or perish is the game I'm told.

Incidentally, I spent 8 hours last week in a mandatory class where one of the researchers discussed a study he had done that dealt with the differences in the rate of fire spread over rocky ground versus ground that had no rocks. I'd share his conclusion but I think its to valuable to share unless you pay me some money. After all I spent 8 hours of my life learning this secret and this is 8 hours of my life I will never get back so surely my time is worth something. However, being I will offer you a hint - rocks don't burn. :lol2:

We occasionally graze our pines, but the only grazing is on fire lanes. Most of our pine forest are waterless. Sometimes there are low spots that have water, but as far as locking cows up in them we cant.... We don't let them in during calving season though or when they have calves. Aint nobody got time for that...lol

Jogeephus":2dy1vgdo said:
kenny thomas":2dy1vgdo said:

:lol: :lol: Give em grant money and I'm sure they'd be happy to re-invent the wheel. Publish or perish is the game I'm told.

Incidentally, I spent 8 hours last week in a mandatory class where one of the researchers discussed a study he had done that dealt with the differences in the rate of fire spread over rocky ground versus ground that had no rocks. I'd share his conclusion but I think its to valuable to share unless you pay me some money. After all I spent 8 hours of my life learning this secret and this is 8 hours of my life I will never get back so surely my time is worth something. However, being I will offer you a hint - rocks don't burn. :lol2:

Please believe me. I'm not trying to target you today. Just coincidence I reckon. But I would sure be curious to hear bout that.
In many instances fire will burn much more rapidly across rocky ground.

callmefence":3e2tcg0g said:
Please believe me. I'm not trying to target you today. Just coincidence I reckon. But I would sure be curious to hear bout that.

Well the title in of my thread does state that someone might find it interesting. Its really not that complicated but here plants don't grow on rocks so without plant growth there is no fuel. With no fuel there is no fire. I guess things are different in Texas.

Jogeephus":2ubwoilx said:
callmefence":2ubwoilx said:

Well the title in of my thread does state that someone might find it interesting. Its really not that complicated but here plants don't grow on rocks so without plant growth there is no fuel. With no fuel there is no fire. I guess things are different in Texas.

No it's not complicated. In shallow rocky soil moisture is lost quicker in hot weather. You can actually see where bedrock nears the surface by observing the grass. Especially in hot weather.
And to say vegetation doesn't grow in rocky terrain is :bs: and I can prove it.
Anyway the drier vegetation will burn much faster than denser vegetation with more moisture. Take a look at areas prone to frequent wildfire. You will invariably find shallow rocky soil.

I found your previous post quite condensing. Maybe it was just me. I know your convinced your the all knowing. So no biggie.
I will admit I didn't take a 8 hour class.
No going to either... don't have to... :mrgreen:

callmefence":z3kfoy81 said:
Jogeephus":z3kfoy81 said:
here plants don't grow on rocks

I found your previous post quite condensing. Maybe it was just me. I know your convinced your the all knowing. So no biggie.

I'm convinced I'm all knowing???!!!! You are hilarious. Do you actually feel threatened by my literacy?

And yes, it was condensed because there was no need in going into all the details since even the speaker admitted it was a no-brainer.

Or did you mean to say you found my reply condescending? If you did, that sounds like a personal problem and something I can't help you with but I've seen how you enjoy trolling people and calling people names and you needn't waste your time trolling me.

Jogeephus":3o7o87o1 said:
callmefence":3o7o87o1 said:
Jogeephus":3o7o87o1 said:
here plants don't grow on rocks

I'm convinced I'm all knowing???!!!! You are hilarious. Do you actually feel threatened by my literacy?

And yes, it was condensed because there was no need in going into all the details since even the speaker admitted it was a no-brainer.

Or did you mean to say you found my reply condescending? If you did, that sounds like a personal problem and something I can't help you with but I've seen how you enjoy trolling people and calling people names and you needn't waste your time trolling me.

I haven't called you names. In fact I have been very polite to you in both conversation today. I joked . Even used the green face.You are obviously threatened by anyone who sees it different than you.... crawfish
If you choose to be rude to me I'll be rude back. I'm sorry you've gotten upset. At least you didn't yell liberal.
But you certainly showed your true colors.
I'm no troll. I post where I want. If you don't like it. Your the one with a problem.

Jogeephus":z1axpv3t said:
kenny thomas":z1axpv3t said:

This is your post. If I could highlight your description was rocky ground vs ground with no rocks. Not a description of a solid rock.
So yeah...your full of shyt....see I'm not being polite anymore

Latest posts