Just starting out...

Help Support CattleToday:

shotgun7

Reaction score
im just trying to figure out the best way to go, i really dont want to break the bank and spend $1000's on a bull so what about buying a claf bull and rasing it??

Still gotta feed and care for him while he grows up. How many cows do you plan on having? Only a few girls, IMO it would be more cost efficient to AI...some advise, we use a bull because we had to many misses with AI...settled all first go-around. Will use him to rebred this spring then he will find a new home, hopefully before the season isn't over and the demand is good. Hate to take him to the barn as he is a nice gentle bull. DMc

I can understand where you're coming from on the $$'s, the only drawback to your plan that I can see would be that a bull calf can look a whole lot different as a yearling or 2-year old. What about a good yearling bull? It cuts the odds a little as far as what he will end up looking like. Just my thoughts.

Second what caustic said. A year old bull will also give you performance data and test info that the calf will not have. It's as cheap of $1000 as you are going to spend. I don't know what your priorieties are, and it isn't any of my business, but getting calves on the ground should be towards the top, and getting good calves should be close behind, and on both the cow is going to need some help. Did you just purchase your herd or come into it or something? I am afraid you are going to have to prime the pump to get some water. :D Good Luck.

havent started anything yet just doing the research thanks for the great advice!!

dph":3p09enfk said:
A year old bull will also give you performance data and test info that the calf will not have.

Unlikely, might be you who needs to 'prime the pump'.

Whoops! I reread that and didn't mean to offend anyone. Just making a joke at the end. Meant the cows wouldn't have calves on their own. :D shotgun, if you are looking for advice this is a great place to come. I check it daily because I always pick up something daily from this board. The reason I asked if you had purchased the herd or came into it was because I was wondering what you had done for bulls up till now. If you had purchased the herd, then you should view the bull as an extension of the herd, not so much an added expense.

that bull calf will only come with a weaning weight. Where that year old bull was put on the same feed as his buddies and you can see how he performed compared to them. They will also have production records on the dam, sire, etc. If you have him in your own lot, you have nothing to compare him to. Plus, if you buy off a breeder, you might get some sort of guarantee as to the fact that he will breed your cows, and a bit of a waranty should he get hurt the first breeding season. If you keep a calf back and feed him out, he is going to be worth awfully close to that $1000 anyway, so I don't know if you are saving so much keeping your own. Hope I didn't tick you off. and again, Good Luck.

shotgun...,

Unless u have a specific plan in mind or a bunch of animals most neighbor cattleman will assist you in a few breds while your bull calf is coming on if you decide to go that way....even if they want a few dollars.

With limited recources I would buy another 3 way cow are two. It would help as a jump start. I just bred a new neighbors mini herd this summer...I think it was 7 cows... and charged him for the two trips over to his place a total of $50.00....just so there is no wrong impression that the process is free. Who knows he may want a bull soon. 8)

no prob dph, didnt even give it a second though....i work night dispatch at a tucking company...haha not very easy to offend :D i figure heard size, atleast with what im looking at right now....will try to get it up to 10-15 head of cattle...(im looking at trying to find 20 or so acars) and will pasture 15 or so of it and keep the rest to build a house may and later in life maybe buy more land (i am only 20) Does anyone have any good info for AI? that may just be the way to go with a smaller herd.

I don't know what area you are in, but check with your community college. Our's has good classes in AI'ing or call the AI representatives - ABS, Gentex (sp?) - they are the only two I can remember off the top of my head, sorry. :oops: They can tell you if classes are being offered in your vicinity.

AI is a great way to improve genetics in you poeration, but having a bull at home is the simplest way to get your cows bred. there are opros and cons to both ways of beeding, facilities being the big one. chute with a palp cage ect..

TK Ranch":20vd0uen said:
AI is a great way to improve genetics in you poeration, but having a bull at home is the simplest way to get your cows bred. there are opros and cons to both ways of beeding, facilities being the big one. chute with a palp cage ect..

Palp cage? What is that? We AI'd for years with nothing more than a regular, run of the mill head catch with panel sides. Rarely had to AI more than once, either.

We have a Morand squeeze at home that we use and at the back of it is a palp cage. when you are breeding or preg checking this lets you run all of your animals into the chute at the same time. put one in the squeeze and work on her without the hazards of a cow coming up behind you. hope this mkes sense.

a thousand dollar bull is not that expensive when you sell $600 and $700 calves. the bull is half the genetics of all the calves it is money well spent. i have a small herd and i loan my bull to neighbors to help them and keep my bull busy.i use him 60 days spring and 60 days fall.that leaves 8 months with nothing to do. contact ABS reps Tom & Eleane Murrey, i attended AI school with them. i still use my bull it is less time consuming.

Another option other than AI is to rent a bull. Keep one for say 3 months at a fraction of the price as owning your own. Lots of things needs to be discussed in the what if department with the owner of the bull if you go this route.

shotgun7
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dont you have to have a Liquid Nitrogen Tank for AI to store the straws?

Our local vet does not mind keeping a few straws on hand for us in his tank as long as he is the one doing the A.I. work.

Also some companies like Genex will show up to A.I. for you and have semen and catalog with them for you to choose. You do not have to have anything they bring it all.

shotgun7":2gg42az1 said:
will try to get it up to 10-15 head of cattle...(im looking at trying to find 20 or so acars) and will pasture 15 or so of it

Shotgun, 15 head of cattle on 15 acres?

If your concerned about which way to go with a bull....
buy several 3 in 1's. That's a cow with a calf by her side and already re-bred. Then you won't have to make such a quick decision on a bull. It would allow you more flexibility ,cause you could buy a yearling bull with the money from the weaned calves in six or seven months, or use the money to purchase semen and pay someone to a.i. for you. Either way, you won't have to jump into the deep end so quick, you could walk down the steps on the other side of the pool.

Latest posts