Just sharing some pics....

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Out making the rounds this evening, thought I would share. I can't remember ever calving in weather this nice. We are usually still buried in snow or fighting a spring blizzard. We are well over half way done, only one heifer popped so far and we had to pull it, hope that's not a sign of what is to come. Good luck to all who are calving!

Bull calf
Picture001.jpg

Next years replacements (Except the longhorn x steer in the middle)
Picture002.jpg

Happy cows come from Wyoming!
Picture004.jpg

Nice pictures. Thank you.

About your pulling the first calf from a heifer this season - I spoke with my vet this afternoon on the phone. He was saying that he's having a rough week. Heifers and cows with huge calves this spring. Lots of calving trouble, especially with the heifers.

Must have been something about the cold winter. He suggests keeping a closer eye on the heifers this year since all calves seem to be pretty big, at least in our area.

Jim

Hey Grubbie, I always have wondered, that mountain, or hill, or whatever you call it, in the background of the replacment heifers, it that yours? What do you do with it, and are your cows on it. Did you ever think of planting it to soybeans? Must be tough to get them off when you want them to come home. How'd you like to winter calve 200 head up there? Like your pictures of your country. gs

Pretty rough country for farming up there. Plus this is a pretty dry climate. No problem bringing our cows home from anywhere......send the wife out on a four-wheeler hollering "COME ON GIRLS!!" and you best not be in the way! If there are any stragglers I bring them in with a motorcycle.

Nice looking baldies. That looks like land that's been strip mined to me. We have a lot of that around here.

Latest posts