Just saying hello!

Help Support CattleToday:

I do not agree. It can result in a can of worms best left unopened. Your cows will be eating his grass.
It will be your cows that led his cows through the hole in your fence! Granted I expect it to rain on any
picnic I attend but I do know thing can go south in a hurry when one can least afford it.

I'm not really a rancher. Just a guy who retired from something else, and own 50ACRs. Trying to figure out what I can do with it. From time to time there are cows on my place, but they belong to a man down the road who I let put his cows here to help keep it grazed down. Would like to start something own my own. Don't need it produce a big income, but would like it to pay for itself. I don't need another hobby that cost me! Don't know much about cattle, {yet}! 30 acrs are pretty clear, working on clearing the other 20.

I'm not really a rancher. Just a guy who retired from something else, and own 50ACRs. Trying to figure out what I can do with it. From time to time there are cows on my place, but they belong to a man down the road who I let put his cows here to help keep it grazed down. Would like to start something own my own. Don't need it produce a big income, but would like it to pay for itself. I don't need another hobby that cost me! Don't know much about cattle, {yet}! 30 acrs are pretty clear, working on clearing the other 20.
May be a little late on this thread, but have you considered just growing hay for a year or two? It would allow you to stay closer to home to take care of the missus. A little herbicide and maybe some chicken litter might get you a good start. Of course, I don't know what kind of shape your fields are in or what equipment you have available. But growing good grass for hay can net you a little cash and be relatively worry-free (grass doesn't break fences or need to be "fed" as often). Obviously, the weather will be a big determining factor in how much you can produce. You can have your soils tested relatively cheap to see what nutrients you have and what you may be deficient in. And your neighbor will have to find someplace else for his cows to eat. Just a thought.

Latest posts