JUST NEW ,WANT MORE INFO, IF YOU CAN HELP

Help Support CattleToday:

nlouise04

Reaction score
:santa: IM NEW TO OWNING A COW AND NEED TO KNOW AS MUCH AS I CAN TO KEEP MY HERFER HAPPY AND HEALTHY.SO IF YOU CAN HELP,I WOULD BE SO GREATFUL.. NEED INPUT ....LOL.... OK LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I HAVE , A HERFER BULL ALMOST 1 YEAR OLD ,JAN 6TH HE WILL BE 1.... HE IS A BIT OVER 600 LBS,, ONLY OWN HIM SENCE SANDY THE STORM AND AT THAT TIME HE WAD 550 LBS,,HE HAS GAIN WEIGHT,AND HAS A BIT OF A HAY TYPE BELLY ,,I THINK IM OVER FEEDIN HIM ,WAS FEEDING HIM ABOUT 5LBS OF SWEET FEED ,2 TIMES A DAY :???: AND ALL THE HAY AND PASTURE HE WANTS....IM TOLD HE DONT NEED THAT AND I KNOW ITS TO BE 2.5% OF BODY WEIGHT. BUT DIDNT KNOW OF WHAT HAY? PASTURE? FEED? HE HAS ABOUT 63 AC.OF PASTURE TO USE FOR THE WINTER,SO CAN I STILL GIVE HIM ABOUT 1 LB OF SWEET FEED A DAY AS A TREAT? OR EVERY OTHER DAY? HE HAS A MINERAL BLOCK AND ALL THE WATER HE CAN DRINK THROU OUT THE DAY ,,CAN I DO ANYTHING MORE FOR HIS HEALTH ?

:welcome: from New York,
There is nothing wrong with you feeding him 5# of grain 2x a day.
If he seems to have more bellie than anything else - he may need to be dewormed. If you have not already dewormed him, that is where I would start to help keep him healthy.
I would deworm him with Valbazen which is a white liquid that you put down his throat (you can use a syringe). And/or you can use a pour-on dewormer. Do you have neighbors with cattle? You might be able to buy enough for one dose for your animal from a neighbor.
Is he actually still a BULL - not a castrated bull? Are you raising him for meat for your freezer?
Edit: BTW - it's considered rude /shouting - when you use "ALL CAPS". :banana:

For a Hereford bull (at least I think that's what he is by the way you spelled it--"Herfer") 600 lbs is a bit light for a bull almost a year old. He will definitely need the extra grain to get his weight up over the winter.

Just remember the 2.5% body weight thing isn't in terms of as-fed value but only dry-matter, which means taking all of the water out of the feed. It is also only for maintenance, not for growing animals. Thus the 2.5% value will change when you factor in moisture of the feed and the fact that the animal is growing, if the cow's lactating or any other changes that a bovine's body goes through that affects feed intake.

What kind of hay is he getting? Pasture isn't the greatest for him right now, he's better off on hay and the supplement feed you're giving him.

And if you're not going to be using him for anything, best to castrate him ASAP...

Sorry for using all caps,, didnt relize i was shoutting..the hay has timithy and some clover but not much,,mostly pasture grasses my friend tells me is what is in the hay,,,just want to raise him as a bull ... thank you for the info... i can use cow worm pelletes??? just have the young bull cow and nonthing else..

So you're not using him for breeding purposes or anything? Is he eventually going in the freezer, or just as a lawn ornament for you? The reason I encourage you to consider castrating him ASAP is because he may become not the kind of friendly bovine you had in mind. Bulls, no matter the breed, should never be made into pets--if that's what you're doing to him--because they can and will turn on you without warning. At this age he may start to show a bit of that towards you, even though I've no idea nor have you ever mentioned anything about it. He could be younger than what you think, too, but that's just a hunch I have.

I've never heard of dewormers coming in pellet form, just via block (Safe-Guard), pour-on or injectible. It's best to get your vet to run a fecal on him to see what kind of parasites he's got and what meds you can use to hit them.

:welcome: Karin is right without the ladies around to keep his interest he'll be break'n out and you'll have a full time job chase'n him and fixx'n fence.cost about 65.00 the vet will put him out he'll barly feel a thing . It might be alittle more where you are but it'll be money well spent. Goodluck :tiphat:

This is just to help you with terminology.
Cow - female bovine that has had a calf.
Bull - intact male bovine (not called cow)
Steer- castrated bull
Heifer - young female bovine.
The other posters are correct. You do NOT want to raise a bull, unless you have a farm with cows and want to use him for breeding. What is his purpose? Pet, food, ornament?

I have used the wormer pellets. With just one it will work fine because you can give hime the amount he needs and know he is getting all of it. And you wont end up with more than you need

the bull we was jjust going to raise overthe winter and there is a farmer who would like to use him to breed his cows in the spring and then we was going to send him to market..this is a spear of the moment gife and i would like to see him go to studding some cows
,i have wormed him and he is a nice bull for now i do know that when he gets to feeling him oats he can be on safe . thank you all

Karin":4o090t55 said:
So you're not using him for breeding purposes or anything? Is he eventually going in the freezer, or just as a lawn ornament for you? The reason I encourage you to consider castrating him ASAP is because he may become not the kind of friendly bovine you had in mind. Bulls, no matter the breed, should never be made into pets--if that's what you're doing to him--because they can and will turn on you without warning. At this age he may start to show a bit of that towards you, even though I've no idea nor have you ever mentioned anything about it. He could be younger than what you think, too, but that's just a hunch I have.

I've never heard of dewormers coming in pellet form, just via block (Safe-Guard), pour-on or injectible. It's best to get your vet to run a fecal on him to see what kind of parasites he's got and what meds you can use to hit them.
Yes, they have Safeguard pellet dewormer. Usually comes in little packs that look just like small pelletized feed. One pack per animal. They also have crumble that is mixed with feed. Comes in individual (no-measure) packs or in bulk bags. You usually see it in small feed stores or places like Tractor Supply.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock- ... b--2207967

Ingredients:
Ground alfalfa hay, roughage products, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (preservative) and mineral oil.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 15%, Crude Fat (min.) 1%, Crude Fiber (max.) 30%, Fenbendazole 0.5% (2.27 g/lb).

Feeding instructions:
Feed for one (1) day. No prior withdrawal of feed or water necessary. When feed containing Safe-Guard® has been fed for 1 day according to the above rates, a total intake of 2.27 mg fenbendazole per pound of body weight is assured. Under conditions of continued exposure to parasites, retreatment may be needed after 4-6 weeks.

Animal Weight/Size - Daily Amount
5 mg fenbendazole per kg body weight in a one (1) day treatment (2.27 mg fenbendazole per pound of body weight).

200 lb.: 0.2 lb. Safe-Guard® 0.5% Pellets per day
500 lb.: 0.5 lb. Safe-Guard® 0.5% Pellets per day
1000 lb.: 1.0 lb. Safe-Guard® 0.5% Pellets per day

Yes, I use the cubes most of the time. Don't really like the individual treatments or any other "mix with feed"--hard to get the correct dosage unless ya can separate the stock and make sure each one gets exactly one pack or an even dosage if using the bulk bags.
The individual packs are only good if you have one or 2 separated already for some reason and can stand there and watch who eats what.

Latest posts