just got one back from the butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

bigjohn513

Reaction score
As most of you know I'm still new to cattle raising...just got one back from the butcher and let me tell you...I'm getting better :D :D
This is the first one I raised on the farm from birth...just had a steak...by far the best yet
thanks guys and gals for all the help along the way..ya'll made my job a lot easier

Congrats on the good steak! We will butcher our first in many years next fall.

How long did you hang yours?

Thanks,
Alan

I grew up a city girl, but really wished we lived in the country. Last January we butchered our first beef and I was just amazed at the difference between home raised and grocery store meat. Another 3 or 4 months and we will butcher again. I will never go back to buying beef out of the store.

Congratulations and enjoy.

We just got one back also and tried a steak yesterday. It was so tender and very tasty. I was very satisfied with how these last few turned out.

Are you sure that was not a venison steak?? ;-) Saw your buck he was a nice one!
Welcome to the world of quality beef it sure is nice to know what you are eating and feeding the family eh! How did you finish him, how old was he, and what breed was he?

I am jealous of all this steak eating, we were counting on eating my sons show steer this last year, but he won Grand at the County and we got pressured into selling it to the buyer, who always buys the Grand steer and wants to eat it.

Just recently ran out of most all beef. Been hanging on with Pork lately. Hard to make myself go to store and buy the store bought stuff. But I guess it is time to go buy some. Maybe I will try some of that CAB meat I hear so much about :lol:

Allen, they hung him around 17 days
SRR, I started putting the grain to him the day he was weaned...just a #or 2 a day then worked him up to around 20# of feed a day the last 90 days (always had free choice hay and minerals)
not sure of the hoof weight but he hung at 598 at 14 months (almost 15)

Hate to admit it but I can't notice any difference in the flavor between Angus, Linousin, Herfs and Baldies....and we slaughter about 24 head a year.
The best IMO eating is a 30 month grass and grain finished Herf, hung 10-14 days.
Just my two bits worth
DMc

Latest posts