Junk, Scrap And Other Stuff

Help Support CattleToday:

We make a pile of scrap metal and we have a scrap guy come and pick it up. When he comes he takes the whole pile, I don't let him pick and choose what he takes. All of it or none of it. I know he's making money, but his service is worth more to me than the cash he's getting. We both are happy. I mainly only burn wood items and the garbage either gets bagged or stored for clean up day in the spring. We can put out anything but appliances and local trash truck will pick it up. We cleaned out three buildings this year and had a magnificent pile! We try to be as eco friendly as we can because what we are doing today is going to effect our children, our children's children, etc. forever.

Unless its went down, a few months back it was $200/ton.

The old farm equipment can go as sheer iron which is even higher.

Yes, the old horse drawn stuff is selling as yard ornaments around here as well.

The hubby hates working with that stuff, but his boss has had a trailer (one that goes on an 18 wheeler) and they fill it full when he has nothing else to do (hubby is so glad he's been raking and baling hay for the last several weeks)

I had a old corn picker setting in the way for years, full of bullet holes and rusted away. I was gonna bury it but never got around to it. Loaded it on the trailer last week and the scrap yard wrote me a check for a $172.00.

So being inspired I remembered a car axle sticking out of a gulley in the woods. I drug it out and they wrote me another check for $230.00. (there was a car attached to the axle).

They are paying .10 a pound for steel in any condition, I couldn't believe some of the junk being hauled there.

CUZ":1ihp86h6 said:
As responsible cow folks we all want to good stewards of our property. Of course, we don't always carry out our good intentions. Now, having said that, here's the question.

What do YOU do with the worn out fencing, the broken equipment parts, the 80 year old piece of a rake, the worn out disc and all of the junk, scrap and other crap (I used "stuff" in the title) that we all accumulate?

Cuz

We build fences with ours. ESPECIALLY the old sheets of tin, bedsprings, and bicycle frames........ :lol:

MikeC":a81o3kak said:
CUZ":a81o3kak said:
As responsible cow folks we all want to good stewards of our property. Of course, we don't always carry out our good intentions. Now, having said that, here's the question.

What do YOU do with the worn out fencing, the broken equipment parts, the 80 year old piece of a rake, the worn out disc and all of the junk, scrap and other crap (I used "stuff" in the title) that we all accumulate?

Cuz

We build fences with ours. ESPECIALLY the old sheets of tin, bedsprings, and bicycle frames........ :lol:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: You too?? Don't forget the racks out of ovens and frigs and the old BBQ pits

Getting ready to haul an old NH273 baler that is almost broken in half. It is pretty dang heavy. Also have an old Ford hay rake getting ready to go. Got a bunch of parts I stripped off of another 273 too. Heck, if I sell all that stuff I might get enough to renovate the Stock Trailer Hotel with new tires. :D

flaboy":ggg4z977 said:
Getting ready to haul an old NH273 baler that is almost broken in half. It is pretty dang heavy. Also have an old Ford hay rake getting ready to go. Got a bunch of parts I stripped off of another 273 too. Heck, if I sell all that stuff I might get enough to renovate the Stock Trailer Hotel with new tires. :D

Forget renovate and think "restock" as in "wet bar". :lol2: :lol2:

heck TB with all that money from scrap iron.he can get a few kegs.an invite us to his house for a party.an we could cook up 1 of them there steers in his pasture.an real good.an get mr crowder to come an bring all his gals.

There is proable more clear money in the scrap than in the cows. I never give any one my scrap. I find time to haul it. We had an old washer and dryer set back. I finally threw it in the truck when I was going into two did not get rich but did get $25 cash for it. Heck I even bought 8 gallons of gas with it.

We took out an old fence. My son sold the wire and t-post for short iron and made $642. If your in North Texas and would like to give away old wire and t-post, I'm sure he would come pick it up. I heard him asking grandpa what he was going to do with those old batteries. They are bring $5 each.

It went from $11/100# here about six weeks ago to 3.50/100# now???? scrap yards are suffering bad.

Our steel supplier (new steel) is hurting bad due to them purchasing steel at extremely high prices and now everyone is sitting it out before purchasing any large amounts of steel because they're gonna have to lower their prices.

when we first moved here there was scrap everywhere. Where a car died, that was where it stayed. Or it got hauled to some part of the open pasture. When we moved our trailer here there were 4 old cars in our yard. Hubby got busy and dragged everything to a small paddock and then fenced it off. Seemed like the best solution to the problem since we did not own it and we could not sell it cause it might fix or make something. But in recent years, some of the scrap has been pulled out and left by the shop for cows and humans to trip over. Hubby just shakes his head now

I will strip off all pieces that I know I'll use and throw all metal scrap into a pile until there is enough for my scrap guy to haul off. Any nontoxic items get burned, feed sacks, untreated wood, cardboard, etc., and used oil and filters go to the recycler's. I don't like clutter so I don't hesitate to toss and once a year I'll do a good cleaning and anything I haven't used in that year or I don't have an immediate use for, I'll toss. We also take advantage of the local clean up days put on by our community.
My wife and I take land stewardship very seriously. The lady we bought our place from dumped and burned in a spot in the pasture and we've so far have cleaned up four loader fulls of trash with just a little more to go. The bathtub in the pond next to the old boxspring is a little rediculous.

Latest posts