Junk, Scrap And Other Stuff

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ

Reaction score
As responsible cow folks we all want to good stewards of our property. Of course, we don't always carry out our good intentions. Now, having said that, here's the question.

What do YOU do with the worn out fencing, the broken equipment parts, the 80 year old piece of a rake, the worn out disc and all of the junk, scrap and other crap (I used "stuff" in the title) that we all accumulate?

Cuz

If we think we can use it later on to fix something else, or if someone else might be able to use it, we will keep in our scrap pile. Old wire is one of the things that does get loaded and sent to the dump's scrap pile though, no use for it...except maybe a good avenue for tetanus.

It goes out in the woods in a big pile until there's enough to haul it to he scrap dealer.

Old metal junk we keep in a certain place until there is a load to haul off to the scrap metal dealer. Old wood stuff we just burn in our brush piles..
but close to where we live they have a twice a year clean-up days, that we take advantage of to take other items that we dont need anymore.
Its the day I dont look forward to, but my wife does.. ;-)

I'm with Aaron. I keep anything that looks like I could use a piece off of or I might torch the good stuff off. The rest goes to the scrap yard.

Had a guy leave a note on the gate. "Free hauling of old used farm equipment and metal". I had some stuff to go so I called him. He said "well the market is down on scrap right now". Whizz on him I will haul it myself and pocket the gas money.

I save all of it in a fenced off area of woods at the back of the place.

When I need to build or repair something thats where I get most of my material. :cboy:

I had a pile of Junk. A really good pile. Now it is all gone. I have cut, welded, and built practically anything you can imagine with it. Then someone else see's it and wants it, or one like it.

Right now I am building an old fashion pair of post hole diggers. Pipe spades. Several people have already ask for a set. So I have burned an entire length of pipe in half and started cutting spades. I'll add the hinge and receivers. They can deal with the handles. No need to ever worry about hitting rock and bending the spades - aint gonna happen.

I find that baling wire is very useful at times, and in shorter supply now that everyone uses twine. We have a flat bed trailer where everything gets piled up. Stuff we can burn we do. Metal stuff to the scap dealer. All the rest to the dump, which is also getting challanging because the local dump is no longer accepting private trash dumps. Guess I have to go to Grandview.

Lammie":2yte2mrl said:
I find that baling wire is very useful at times, and in shorter supply now that everyone uses twine.

I bought a couple of coils of baling wire from the local farm store. hey were glad to get rid of it because it had sat on the shelf for years. That stuff is as handy as a pocket on a shirt

Some old equipment got haulded out to the pasture "junk pile" but alot of the old horse drawn stuff is still here.
Trying to convince husband to burn all of the old rotten cedar fence posts. No go.

Dug a big hole and tossed in everything burnable and some gas and struck a match. When it was done filled it back in and we were done.

I have good intentions of loading it all up and taking to the scrap metal place, but for now there is an old pickup truck-bed-converted-to-trailer type thing that has become the catch all for old hay rings, fencing, aluminum cans and what not.

flaboy?":1y8su7z2 said:
I'm with Aaron. I keep anything that looks like I could use a piece off of or I might torch the good stuff off. The rest goes to the scrap yard.

Had a guy leave a note on the gate. "Free hauling of old used farm equipment and metal". I had some stuff to go so I called him. He said "well the market is down on scrap right now". Whizz on him I will haul it myself and pocket the gas money.

I seen a few of them type operators - they want to get you interested then charge you to do the job! There's an ad in a local trading paper and somebody told me that guy was doing the same thing - Free Removal -then they end up wanting to charge you $25 for hauling it off.
Forget that stuff!!!

I loaded up a bunch on a trailer a few weeks back.

I was shocked when the girl counted out $770 bucks in cash!

You wouldn't believe what some of the people up north of me will pay for old junk farm equipment. They use it for lawn ornaments.

dun":3j3gyq0g said:
Lammie":3j3gyq0g said:
I find that baling wire is very useful at times, and in shorter supply now that everyone uses twine.

I bought a couple of coils of baling wire from the local farm store. hey were glad to get rid of it because it had sat on the shelf for years. That stuff is as handy as a pocket on a shirt

Heck, throw a little duct tape in tool box with the baling wire and you fix just about anything!!

dun":2q1lb3r6 said:
It goes out in the woods in a big pile until there's enough to haul it to he scrap dealer.

Ditto for me. I hauled off 4.5 tons of scrap metal right after Dad died - and that was just in front of the pump house. I've been pickin up old barbed wire, plow shares, planter boxes, butane tanks (now propane), bent "T" posts (straightening the good ones), tin off old chicken houses, old refridgerators(sp), stoves and so on. Figure I've got at least 15 tons piled up where nobody can see it from the road. Anyone want it?

Agggghhhh, farm life. Ain't it great! :lol:

I try to make use of what is around, but if it sits too long and doesn't have a proper place or function then I find it a home. Usually, everything is hanging up and has its place. Of course, I'm the only one who can find it. My dad is the biggest pack rat and I have get rid of crap when he is not around. :lol:

Have used a cow panel that was beyond repair as an arbor with twisted t-posts to support the panel. The arbor had Morning glories growing on it at one time, but now has English ivy growing on it. Seen some old farm equipment used in unique ways.

around here scrap is 95.00/ ton I hauled an old baler (2) an old gutted out pull type combine---got enough steel to make 4 double gates---I was happy --cause I dont know how to build a gate out of old balers

carl

Latest posts