Junk Science and DDT

Help Support CattleToday:

Parkerson Cattle Co.":25o1wur1 said:
It's all out there good and bad, fact of the matter is, they still teach about it, why would a knowledgeble prof teach about its bad effects if there wasn't some scientific evidence??
You've got to be kidding me right? You think that everything that's ever been taught is true?:lol2:

The real fact of the matter is , as you call it, multiplied thousands of people have died because of malaria. DDT was a cheap and effective control of misquitoes.

Parkerson Cattle Co.":314psmvq said:
Thats a lot of stuff to read through, but i can go to the internet and find an article on 100 ways why it is bad. It's all out there good and bad, fact of the matter is, they still teach about it, why would a knowledgeble prof teach about its bad effects if there wasn't some scientific evidence?? you have yet to answer that. ALSO, what happens when the mesquitos become immune......., and its not just one prof, it's several, i think i'll take their word for it over those who think they know all there is to know about anything. :roll: :stop: The use of a product would not be stopped for 30 years, had it been found to do no harm.

It looks to me like the whole "DDT scare" was based on faulty science and people who tend to expect the worse jumping on the bandwagon. You've shown me nothing so far that would lead me to believe otherwise. A professor says so? Oh, wait, more than one professor says so! I'm not that gullible. University professors preach false information all the time, quite often knowingly. Most of them have agendas, too.

I remember the politcal atmosphere at the time this all came out. Chemical companies were doing some bad things and were seen by many as the enemy. Therefore, in the eyes of many, everything they did was wrong, whether that was proven or not. Could be they got a raw deal on this one.

just google it, don't even need a professor for that, i've done my own research into it. You can talk down to me all you want, doesn't matter, i know what i believe. to each his own.. and someone please answer my question

What happens when the mosquitoes become Immune to it???

Because believe me, as fast as they reproduce, they eventually will. ... there goes the malaria fix....

Scientifically reviewed articles... for those of you who don't know what that is, it has been reviewed by the scientific community, and deemed as probable/true. :roll: :roll: :roll: :mad:

If there wasn't a problem with it, It not be banned, it's been 30 years, ... it's still banned... Obviously enough science to back up the ban

Don't get me wrong i'm all for the use to save lives, but still believe it should be highly controlled

Oh yea... ollie you want to bash me, at least learn to spell mesquito... sorry a little below the belt, but come on.....

http://phyto.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/ ... 180.001251

http://www.csa.com/partners/viewrecord. ... id=7211232

http://www.springerlink.com/index/AJ8C304JLH3BAW82.pdf

http://www.csa.com/partners/viewrecord. ... id=2834845

http://www.springerlink.com/index/J0646U3830NM8785.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=5064916&dopt=Citation

Parkerson Cattle Co.":1uja1eoz said:
If there wasn't a problem with it, It not be banned, it's been 30 years, ... it's still banned... Obviously enough science to back up the ban
As you get older Parkerson, you'll realize that your statement isn't true. Money and politics triumphs truth in some cases.Thanks for the tip spelling tip. I spell checked it though and it's spelled mosquito . I never was a very good speller. I dont' own any dupont stock or anything like that. My only reason for even jumping into the discussion is I personally put a higher value on the lives of people than I do Eagles , tadpoles, snail darters, spotted owls, etc. Good luck in college.

It's my major, something i'm passionate about sorry for getting highly irritated.

I'm about to graduate, I value the lives of people more than animals. Never said that animals were more important. I know politics, I value the use of a product that saves lives, my only argument, is that it needs to be highly controlled and not over used. It is evident that even though we think we know all there is to know about DDT, there hasn't been enough non-politicized test, we don't know enough about it to simply allow its open use. Like with any pesticide, we have to be careful about the non-target species. It is important to human lives now,but, more needs to be done than just kill the mosquitos, a vaccine, something to erradicate the disease itself not just the carrier. I hate mosquitos more than anything, but sometimes the easiest and cheapest solution isn't always the right solution, DDT will be a temporary fix, when they become immune, we will still be left with malaria. Hopefully by then more money, and good vaccine will be around to help fix the problem. and once again, I've been around some of my profs enough, to fully trust their teaching, not all but some. I know many things can be skewed in teaching, which is a sad reality. Finally, i'm for its use, until a permanent solution can be found. Until then, more un-biased testing needs to be done.

Opinions of mine, thats it, not a teachers not someone else's but my own study. I'm a conservative in a liberal study, It is hard to grasp what someones agenda is, especially some of the liberals, you never know, until you do your own study, and find the truth.

J. T.":1zlf7zpj said:
I marinate steaks in it.

I put in my cow feed and get Pre-marinated steaks. It also helps with internal and external parasites.

The flies are dead just before they light on their back. :roll:

J. T.":23qdxlc5 said:
I marinate steaks in it.

:shock: :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

UUMMM, good DDT!

Okay, so what did happen to the eagles' eggs that they would break when they were sat on, and why did the Bald Eagle population come back after DDT was banned?

Not trying to be smart-a$$ed, just curious. All this green agenda thing has me cornfused.

Lammie":1hx2o5vf said:
J. T.":1hx2o5vf said:
I marinate steaks in it.

:shock: :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

UUMMM, good DDT!

Okay, so what did happen to the eagles' eggs that they would break when they were sat on, and why did the Bald Eagle population come back after DDT was banned?

Not trying to be smart-a$$ed, just curious. All this green agenda thing has me cornfused.

Egg shells get thinner as a bird gets older and also from a lack of calcium.

The eagles were also coming back like gang busters before the DDT ban. After they made it a crime to kill them.............. :lol:

"As early as 1921, the journal Ecology reported that bald eagles were threatened with extinction – 22 years before DDT production even began. According to a report in the National Museum Bulletin, the bald eagle reportedly had vanished from New England by 1937 – 10 years before widespread use of the pesticide."

So how did the birds start getting more calcium? I certainly do believe that when it became a crime to hunt Bald Eagles, it would have them make a terriffic comeback. I have never seen in the wild. I would love to.

Lammie":1wcfva64 said:
So how did the birds start getting more calcium? I certainly do believe that when it became a crime to hunt Bald Eagles, it would have them make a terriffic comeback. I have never seen in the wild. I would love to.

Lammie, i had one spend the winter on my place a few years back.

Curtis, I have heard that they live around the big lakes in the area and my parents have seen them camping but I never have had the oportunity. That's too cool. You are a lucky guy.

curtis":1xqvjsak said:
Lammie":1xqvjsak said:

You are lucky they moved on. I enjoy seeing them but don't care for them nesting on our property. It is a federal crime for you to conduct any activity which might interfere with the bird or its habits. Who decides this?

Jogeephus":ig90c9m3 said:
curtis":ig90c9m3 said:
Lammie":ig90c9m3 said:

You are lucky they moved on. I enjoy seeing them but don't care for them nesting on our property. It is a federal crime for you to conduct any activity which might interfere with the bird or its habits. Who decides this?

You mean, like you can't plow around them and stuff? Herd cattle? Plant?

There are quite a few around here, and although I am aware of that law, I have never heard of it causing anyone any inconveniences. But it could be different in other areas of the country.

Parkerson Cattle Co.":1kit2hy7 said:
And another thing, you found one article about its effects woop de friggin do, please explain to me why there are hundreds of scientific journals stating their test, and results and proving that there is a direct link between ddt and bird shells.

Please don't bring up scientific journals on this forum. They are controlled by the leftist, ivory-towered intelligentsia.

And besides......

There gots to be many here who done wants nuthin to do with that fancy book learnin.

badaxemoo":86wm8dd4 said:
Parkerson Cattle Co.":86wm8dd4 said:
And another thing, you found one article about its effects woop de friggin do, please explain to me why there are hundreds of scientific journals stating their test, and results and proving that there is a direct link between ddt and bird shells.

Please don't bring up scientific journals on this forum. They are controlled by the leftist, ivory-towered intelligentsia.

Ivory towered intelligentsia??? I haven't heard that phrase since the Cold War. :shock:

They are widely accepted for both the left and right wing...

Book learning is only half of it. I see more field work than bookwork.

Latest posts