Jorgensen land and cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I appreciate the history and I think there's credibility in not being a cattle re-seller - especially in the Angus world. I believe they have a reputation that goes with a program that isn't cookie cuttered out of someone else's. I also find it interested the few herds that predominantly use their own bulls and intensely practice linebreeding. I consider Jorgensen cattle in the realm of Ohlde and Sinclair without the popularity (not sure why that is). Seems like a solid, respectable non fad oriented program.

But that's a 10,000 foot opinion.

Jorgensen's program certainly had done a lot right but has lost "notoriety". Does that matter? Perhaps to the bank account!! They have few if any bulls in the popular AI stud though their background is in many. Does that matter? Perhaps to the bank account! My impression - impression only - is that Jorgensen is like an undervalued stock. It lacks a marketing arm. Does it need one? That decision is the owner's. If they are a purist, perhaps not. In the business world though, marketing changes realities and exposes truths - the quality of the cattle could be an unexposed truth. That would be my impression - they aren't marketed well. Hope that's not your job!

I kinda a agree with you angus9259 but we lease out 1900 bulls a year at 900 dollars and we least out you should see our feedlot it is empty.another thing is I think jorgensens breeding program is slot of old school genetics and alot of other producers, I think ,use a sire that is the new and up coming and they only use him for a while and he burns out. I don't know if this is true or not but it's what I think. But you do make a a good point (and I'm not in charge of the maekering haha).

maybe their more cowmen,, than they are bullsht salesmen.. ive dealt with both, i prefer the ""cowman"" but that wont make you popular in todays market... in the automobile business i dont know how many customers ive heard say, i dont know why i bought that car,, or i should have never let him talk me into that... customer has a car they aint happy with.. salesman buys a boat

I like that made me laugh. But I think your right to be popular you need to have popular sires to be a large bull producer, and if that sire throws bad calves no big deal that bull producer made his money. I think that is what your saying right?

well to sell you need to have ''one'' of two things.. a good product ,or a good salesman.... a good product can sell itself a good salesman can sell a bad product..... i dont wont anyone to tell me what i need.. i want them to tell me why i need it and what their cow family can do for me... though a good product can and sell its self it helps to advertize in the car business they have saleman.... or a name they hate'' order takers'' the ordertaker is the one that where the customer that has came there with their mind already made up to buy a product

A good salesman can sell anything for a while, but it will eventially catch up with you if that is all you are. You need to have a good product, but even more importantly, you need to have a good reputation, and that can only be earned by standing behind you product and by being honest.

As far as Jorgensen Land and Cattle - I have only heard good things. I haven't seen much of their cattle, but reputation goes along way. From the sounds of it, they have everything in order and do a great job along with having a good reputation as well.

Jorgensen need s to keep doing what they are doing and don't worry about the sire of the month club. As The pendulum swings. They will rise again.

W.T":1f5fnfgn said:
Jorgensen need s to keep doing what they are doing and don't worry about the sire of the month club. As The pendulum swings. They will rise again.
......yep consistentcy is what pays the commerical man and being able to count on a supplier for it

At Jorgensen's sale they also tested every bull to be free of AM, If you look at there sale catalog almost every sire and dam were tested that my friend will reap rewards, as time goes on the Seed stock producer that has sold carriers or potential carriers is in for a rocky road as the cattlemen become educated as to what these defects can really do to them. And in the ranching business, forgiveness is hard to come by. TIP Your hat to Jorgensen.

We have used Jorgensen genetics for a number of years(early eighties if I remember correctly). I prefer the old stuff - Ideal 1254, Rito 36, Ideal 1418, 9199, Eldorado 156 etc. Some of the best cattle we raised. When they incorporated 6807, New Design, and EXT, I stopped using the newer stuff. Our 1254 daughters are good cows that can raise calves and stay in good flesh. I am contemplating whether or not to try and raise a bull out of 1254 or Rito 36 to keep and use myself. I have thought about using some 1254 back on his best daughter to see what happens.

With 1900 bulls to select from Jorgensens almost certainly has some sires that could add something to the industry. If I were the Jorgensens I would get a little bit more aggressive in that segment of their marketing program. I would talk at length with somebody like Northern Rancher about what the studs are looking for in AI sire and how to get 2 or 3 more bulls placed and aggressively promoted. Once you have those name bulls that everybody has in their semen tanks, I think the $80,000 donor buyers will follow.

Brandonm22":ldhh0w4p said:
With 1900 bulls to select from Jorgensens almost certainly has some sires that could add something to the industry. If I were the Jorgensens I would get a little bit more aggressive in that segment of their marketing program. I would talk at length with somebody like Northern Rancher about what the studs are looking for in AI sire and how to get 2 or 3 more bulls placed and aggressively promoted. Once you have those name bulls that everybody has in their semen tanks, I think the $80,000 donor buyers will follow.

Exactly my point! Thank you.

I think it would help the industry, as well as Jorgensens to get some of their genetics back in the mainstream. It's not selling out as long as you don't sell out to do it. I think Sinclair and Ohlde can attest to that.

Latest posts