Johnson grass

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I was hoping my brother in law would be able to bale a few more bales of hay this fall after Isaac. The bermuda has taken off pretty good but we have johnson grass in it. Brother in law just took samples to the extension office and it tested positive, I have to ask him if it was nitrates or prussic acid or both. They said to wait a week and test again.

I have a pasture I have kept the cows off and it has a little Jg growing, how much is enough to kill a cow or calf? I need to let them graze it.
I did not fertilize this field this year, so I guess that makes a difference in the nitrates? Right?

I haven't had any JG in a long time, the cows usually eat it almost before it comes up.

danl":2brkkzjf said:
I was hoping my brother in law would be able to bale a few more bales of hay this fall after Isaac. The bermuda has taken off pretty good but we have johnson grass in it. Brother in law just took samples to the extension office and it tested positive, I have to ask him if it was nitrates or prussic acid or both. They said to wait a week and test again.

I have a pasture I have kept the cows off and it has a little Jg growing, how much is enough to kill a cow or calf? I need to let them graze it. I did not fertilize this field this year, so I guess that makes a difference in the nitrates? Right?

I haven't had any JG in a long time, the cows usually eat it almost before it comes up.
it dont take much, i lost a good calf to it a few years ago, horrible way to go.... they go through other grass's to get to it

dun":2gd1svmz said:
Did they happen to mention that JG is considered a noxious weed in MO and by state law has to be controlled?
http://epg.modot.mo.gov/index.php?title ... ious_Weeds
wow. dun.. I never knew Modot considered that a noxious weed, and it had to be controlled. :shock:
Hopefully Oklahoma wont do the same thing, because that along with some big patches of bermuda are what has kept my
cattle doing well during this drought for the most part. I know of some folks who have lost cattle to that poisoning, but I personally NEVER have lost any. Always made sure there was other grasses besides JG when I turned em out onto it. But I would also never turn my cattle into a huge pasture where that was the ONLY thing there.. was standing JG. Especially in a strained or drought situation.

My father in law was the one that went to the office, as much JG as he has on his place, he is going to prison.

Am I correct that the prussic acid will go away as the hay ages, but nitrates stay?

danl":pziu10nr said:
Am I correct that the prussic acid will go away as the hay ages, but nitrates stay?
That is partially correct.. prussic acid will dissipate from plants properly cured for hay, BUT in hay baled early with a high moisture content, or plants chopped for immediate feeding, the prussic acid may not have had a chance to dissipate.

Kingfisher":2dbliiwi said:
I do now! From where?
Sorghum halepense, commonly called Johnsongrass, is a plant in the grass family, Poaceae, native to the Mediterranean region, but growing throughout Europe and the Middle East. The plant has been introduced to all continents except Antarctica, and most larger islands and archipelagos. It reproduces by rhizomes and seeds.

Johnsongrass has been used for forage and to stop erosion, but it is often considered a weed for the following reasons:
K
Foliage that becomes wilted from frost or hot dry weather can contain sufficient amounts of hydrogen cyanide to kill cattle and horses if it is eaten in quantity.
The foliage can cause 'bloat' in such herbivores from the accumulation of excessive nitrates; otherwise, it is edible.
It grows and spreads so quickly that it can 'choke out' other cash crops that have been planted by farmers.
This species occurs in crop fields, pastures, abandoned fields, rights-of-way, forest edges, and along streambanks. It thrives in open, disturbed, rich, bottom ground, particularly in cultivated fields. Johnsongrass resistant to the popular herbicide glyphosate has been found in Argentina and the United States.[1][2][3] It is considered to be one of the ten worst weeds in the world.[4]

It is named after an Alabama plantation owner, Colonel William Johnson, who sowed its seeds on river-bottom farm circa 1840. The plant was already established in several US states a decade earlier, having been introduced as a prospective forage or accidentally as a seedlot contaminant.[5][6]

And that is why I do not think that is the same " grass" these folks in " Texas" ( cuz for some reason ain't nobody saying where they are from.....) are bailing since " they could walk." ................. just saying......

Kingfisher":11v387ka said:
And that is why I do not think that is the same " grass" these folks in " Texas" ( cuz for some reason ain't nobody saying where they are from.....) are bailing since " they could walk." ................. just saying......
Look over on the right side of everyone's post and you can see where they are from. As far as the guy with the add he's from "CIRCLEVILLE, TEXAS". As far as what we are bailing it is definitely johnsongrass. The guy with the pasture next to me planted 25 acres of this last spring.

Angus Cowman":r2dwa29k said:
dun":r2dwa29k said:
Did they happen to mention that JG is considered a noxious weed in MO and by state law has to be controlled?
http://epg.modot.mo.gov/index.php?title ... ious_Weeds
I see the invasive species(sericea lespedeza) that they brought in isn't on the list and it is worse than most others on that list especially JG
Good question, I thought it was. This site askes the same question but doesn;t answer it.
http://weedscience.missouri.edu/weedtri ... ericea.pdf

(Central Oklahoma, just northeast of OKC).

I've got a field of mixed bermuda grass and Johnson grass that I will be bailing this weekend. It will be my 3rd cutting off that field this summer. I kept the 1st cutting for my winter feeding, sold the 2nd cutting and hope to sell this next cutting. Johnson grass baled right is of no risk to cattle. In extreme drought conditions, I've heard of some problems.

I had a neighbor last summer (drought of 2011) whose wife opened the gate on a closed off field for the cows to graze right in the middle of the worst of the drought. The Johnson grass had grown tall and then turned brown from lack of rain. He lost 4 cows to poisoning.

As long as the JG is green and "fresh", I don't think you'll ever have a problem with a cow crazing. Only in extreme heat or just after frost will it ever be a risk.

OklaBrangusBreeder":2vut91kn said:
(Central Oklahoma, just northeast of OKC).

I've got a field of mixed bermuda grass and Johnson grass that I will be bailing this weekend. It will be my 3rd cutting off that field this summer. I kept the 1st cutting for my winter feeding, sold the 2nd cutting and hope to sell this next cutting. Johnson grass baled right is of no risk to cattle. In extreme drought conditions, I've heard of some problems.

I had a neighbor last summer (drought of 2011) whose wife opened the gate on a closed off field for the cows to graze right in the middle of the worst of the drought. The Johnson grass had grown tall and then turned brown from lack of rain. He lost 4 cows to poisoning.

As long as the JG is green and "fresh", I don't think you'll ever have a problem with a cow crazing. Only in extreme heat or just after frost will it ever be a risk.
[/b]

Exactly right. Everybody gets so worked up about Johnson grass. There are times when that is all we have and are dam proud to have it. Just pay attention during drought and after a frost and you'll never have a problem. BTW I have about 30 bales of JG that i'm gonna feed this winter and i won't loose a bit of sleep over it.

Latest posts