Jogeephus's Crimson clover

Help Support CattleToday:

i planted 7 acres of crimson clover in a nubbed down pasture, i basically broadcasted it with a drill. it came up pretty good but hasnt grown worth a toot. i'm hoping after this cold snap it will take off?

Envy doesn't describe what I have well enough. You guys want to go into a little more detail for those of us who have never planted any?
What rates per acre are you using for overseeding the clover? When?

I haven't heard anything either and I sent Agmantoo a PM a week ago. 1-14-13 was the last time he was on Homesteading Today,
hope all is good with him.

i only put out 2 60lb bags over 7 acres. i was told 2lbs per acre for broadcasting but they only had two bags and i was just experimenting smallscale anyway. i will have to look back on planting date but it was later than should have been so i guess thats the main reason mine hasnt performed at all yet, still. i was expecting more winter growth but i guess it isnt going to do anything until late march or april.

Your right. When its starts growing it will grow fast. Don't know when you planted it but this fall I noticed a clover field I planted had germinated after we got some rain then it turned off dry. I believe most of this field died due to this. Hopefully not all of it germinated and it will make something.

i didnt get it planted until the end of november. i lucked out with the rains but the cold kept knocking it back everytime it would try to grow. i have some little volunteer patches in a pecan grove some plants in my lawn that arent much ahead of it though. i guess i'm just impatient. i only check on it everyday.

I know how you feel but a watched pot won't boil. I think we will see it jumping here shortly. I hope so anyway.

I have a question. I have taken soil samples ect. I plan on no tilling some in my pasture this year. I live In the very north east corner of missouri. I was thinking of planting the crimson but may just get some of everthing to go in will that work?

Why not section it off and keep up with what goes where and see how it grows. Here they can be sortof tricky.

Latest posts