Jogeephus's Crimson clover

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
Mr. Jo,
what do you have growing alongside in your crimson clover field when the clover is dormant?

I have T-85, alicia and bahia in the clover fields. By far the clover does best in the T-85 fields, next is the alicia then the bahia. I can't seem to get the clover to really do well in the bahia. Especially the crimson but I do have a good bit of durano clover in the bahia but it yields very little in the way of grazing. Have learned if I scratch the bahia with the harrow the clover does much better but I don't think it is really cost effective for me to do this.

did you establish it after the bermuda or at the same time? hayfield or pasture?

Beefy, my helper and I wasted an hour or so trying to get some yearlings off this field so it can set the seed. He ran them once and the calves did some projectile skunk imitations that reminded me of Solvent Green. Can't understand why they don't want to move on over to some fresh bahia.

IMG_4172.jpg

Looks great, Jo. here's some Apache Arrowleaf clover up from some seed I threw down around a cedar tree because some wise guy told me nothing would grow around the base of a cedar. Wiseguy didn't know that it's part of my business to prove wiseguys wrong. Actually I threw the seed down there last year and the clover in the pic is reseeded from what I put down last year. Some of those leaves are as big as your hand.

P1010976.jpg

The arrowleaf if good stuff. I planted some last year and it did really well. I always heard the same thing about cedar trees. Seems there is a term for it but I can't remember what it is.

Jogeephus":177jty6l said:
The arrowleaf if good stuff. I planted some last year and it did really well. I always heard the same thing about cedar trees. Seems there is a term for it but I can't remember what it is.
Could be true that some species of plants won't grow under a cedar. I've read that you shouldn't plant tomatoes near a walnut tree because they give off a natural herbicide that will kill tomatoes. Never tested that saying. Grass will grow well under a walnut. :D

Allelopathy is the word I was hunting. I'm beginning to think my receding hair is allopathic to my brain functions.

mattyboy":34k6pgrb said:
got any clover pics this year jogee? Or did ya have to spray it all.

I only sprayed one field. The picture with the dog in it was taken about a week or so ago in the non sprayed field. Its about knee deep and will be ready to cut or graze since the seed has almost set. I been thinking about combining the seed myself. Never done that before. The white clover doesn't look like much. I took the cows off it yesterday but there are still plenty of flowers so it should reestablish next year without a problem.

I never have planted the white before. The red and crimson mix works good for me. Took some pics saturday,let the cows in on monday.

P4170011.jpg

P4170012.jpg

P4170014.jpg

Wow Mattyboy, great! The only things missing in those pics are some fat shiny cattle :? . Do you cordon sections off with an eletric fence and allow them to graze in stages or do you open up the entire pasture camp?

alisonb":3u8yd8g5 said:
Wow Mattyboy, great! The only things missing in those pics are some fat shiny cattle :? . Do you cordon sections off with an eletric fence and allow them to graze in stages or do you open up the entire pasture camp?

I'm kinda new to the picture taking. pictures of the cows will be next :mrgreen:.
We don't use any hot wire, just different fields with groups of cattle during the winter. this time of year all the gates get opened up.

That's nice Matyboy. Got a tip for you. Don't stand behind any of your cattle while they are in that field. ;-) Hey, looks like you got some arrowleaf clover in your mix as well as crimson. It does really good here. It appears to be a bit more heat and drought tolerant as well.

Thanks for sharing the pics! My white clover is just starting to blossom and the cattle are enjoying the grass clover mix. They are a little loose on the backside but very content with the rotational grazing. I have some crimson on a different area of the farm. I planted the crimson for the nitrogen it contributes. This is the 3rd year the farm has not had any commercial fertilizer. 20% of the farm does get chicken litter once per year. Manure and clover is all the remainder of the farm receives.
IMG00201-20100422-1846.jpg

Some great looking grazing from mattyboy and agman. :clap: Your cows came through the winter very well agman. Might look better than mine. I said might look better. :D

That's nice Matyboy. Got a tip for you. Don't stand behind any of your cattle while they are in that field. ;-) Hey, looks like you got some arrowleaf clover in your mix as well as crimson. It does really good here. It appears to be a bit more heat and drought tolerant as well.

Thanks for the tip Jogee, got too close to a bull a few months ago on the 4-wheeler and almost got sprayed :shock:.
That's some fine looking feed (and cows) agmantoo! :clap:

wow do i ever more have clover envy now! i feel like i may bloat and die any minute now just looking at those pics. *drooling emoticon*

Latest posts