Jo I won't have to bother you anymore..

Help Support CattleToday:

LOL ... I am making a trip to basspro today wish me well. It is very useful and informative the only thing I think I will really need is a nice grinder.

With the money you saved by not going to the auction go ahead and buy you a good one and an upright stuffer - 10 lbs or so. Just write the grinder off as a feed grinder. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":3ki5063i said:
With the money you saved by not going to the auction go ahead and buy you a good one and an upright stuffer - 10 lbs or so. Just write the grinder off as a feed grinder. :mrgreen:

LOL... i saw some nice grinders but will check other places as well. What do you suggest as far as a good manufacturer of oen of these units?

King yea that place is high as crap

For a grinder, get one of those old hand crank ones. Remove the hand crank, Put a 3/4-1 hp motor on the shaft using one of those shaft couplers and it will grind as fast as you can load it

Look for a old hobart. Don't get anything under size 10. 10 or
12 is good for home use. But if your going to grind several hundred pounds get a 22. Restaurant supply stores , bank broke grocery or restaurant. Or craigslist. My :2cents:

hooknline":sjsa80ex said:
For a grinder, get one of those old hand crank ones. Remove the hand crank, Put a 3/4-1 hp motor on the shaft using one of those shaft couplers and it will grind as fast as you can load it

Thats an idea.. We already have the hand crank 1 but never used it but acouple times.

Thanks I will look for one between now and this fall before hunting season. Maybe can run across a sale at basspro or gander mountain.

Skyhightree I have a newer Thunderbird grinder it is a 3/4 horse with No. 12 plates, it worked OK I thought untill I helped a friend work up a beef, His was and old electric with a 3/4 motor on it also and that old thing would eat up 3 or 4 times as fast as mine :cry2: I brought mine over and compaired it to his and the main difference was in the worm and the vains in meat chamber, the worm was much closer to the vains and the vains were much deeper in his old grinder, you hardly ever needed to use a meat stomper with his. I kept looking for an old grinder like it and ended up finding and old one and with some help from a machinist he got the head to fit my motor and now eats meat as fast as his! :p I also have a son in law that order on from Sausagemaker and he ended up sending it back because his was slower than my old one, I don't know the brand. I would sure want to look one over before I bought one used or new. good luck 101

Thanks for the imput. This will be my first year processing my own meat and I need as much help as possible. I have never raised a beef for my own personal consumption but I plan on starting this year. I do however buy hogs and have them processed. The deer I kill I pay to have that processed but I have to drive a hour each way for that and boy is it a pain. I want to revert back to the way I grew up regarding the meats and stuff. I will be buying a new freezer and a vacum sealer thing for the food.

M5farm":2ly1fxlg said:
Look for a old hobart. Don't get anything under size 10. 10 or
12 is good for home use. But if your going to grind several hundred pounds get a 22. Restaurant supply stores , bank broke grocery or restaurant. Or craigslist. My :2cents:

I agree. If you are going to be doing a cow then you need something for the job. There is a lot of high grade commercial stuff out there because so many grocers are going to boxed beef and no longer use them. I don't think you can beat Hobart for quality, parts and service.

If you are just going to do a little along and along for the kitchen you could look at the Kitchen Aid bread mixers. With this you can add a grinder, pasta roller and all sorts of things and have it all in one unit.

Latest posts