Jiggs grass ?

Help Support CattleToday:

2J Ranch

Reaction score
No where, can I find anything, about having coastal spriggs and it not working! Had a sandy Loam pasture (that used to be a great coastal field) sprigged in Jiggs Grass. Ground was and has had plenty of moisture for sprigging! Nothing!!! Everything else around including coastal is coming out but not the Jiggsthat was sprigged. Looks to me I have a good stand of winter grass and about half of the sprigs are on top of the ground dead. The other half in the ground are dead. At least it appears so What happened? The only green I see are from the leftover I picked up and hand planted along the fence!!! Maybe I should have planted the whole 25 acres by hand

It sounds like your sprigs dried out and died. Were they freshly dug when you had them planted? Did you roll them in? The ones that don't get into the soil can dry out if you have no rain and not rolled in

Yes sir...dug up locally about 10:30 in the morning and started planting them with a 2 row sprigging machine with a roller attached at 11:30. maybe I'm jumping the gun on this but I've planted many a seed in my life but no spriggs of grass. Either way, I'm afraid that this was a waist of money and time. Funny thing about farming...where you plant grass it won't grow and where you don't want it you can't get rid of it!!! Thanks

I don't trust the little roller on the back of the sprigging machine. I always roll mine again with either a cultipacker or a heavy pipe roller filled with concrete. Am a firm believer in rolling.

It is my understanding that Jiggs doesn't do well when sprigged. It works better by discing in green tops and rolling with a packer.

2J what is your location???

Brute. I understand it is harder to get started because you have to wait until the tops green up before cutting and discing which means the chance for moisture isn't as good then.

I live north of Waco about 25 mile on the Brazos river. Good dirt for it for sure. The fellow next door is where the sprigs come from and yes...he cut his sprigs green about June last year and disc them in. Good field now too! Mine don't look to good. Taking obamas quote," I hope it will change"! Ha ha. It sure don't look like it. Guess it'll just go back native, yee haw and start over again

So you and your neighbor both cut the tops and disc them in around June??? Did they stay green thru the rest of the summer and early fall?? Has his come out of dormancy and greened up this year???

He overseeded them with oats and I haven't been over to see if it's poking through yet. But, yes, his did come on big time last year. That's the luckiest man I know. He got about 2 inches of rain the day after he disk it in and we hardly ever get that kinda rain all summer around here. It got about 12-18 in in September and heade hay. Then he Fert/ and overseeded oats.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I just had mine sprigged very recently. My neighbor had his put in (just tops) last June. His did well. Mine, not so good so far. Thanks for replies! All I can do is wait alittle longer...that won't cost anymore. A miracle can happen!

how recent? I had some T85 sprigs that took as long as 2 weeks to sprout when I had them sprigged several years ago, others in 4-5 days...all in the same field

Latest posts