jersey crossbreds

Help Support CattleToday:

morancher

Reaction score
Are there any dairymen online that cross their jersey cows to either brahman or brangus bulls? I used to purchased this crossbred heifers when I lived in Louisiana but have lost touch to a source.

I can only tell you its going to be hard to find those in quantity. I have been engaged in an extensive search for dairies that run Brahman bulls and I havent had any luck. I have had help from bigbull and texasbred on these boards and am thankful, but sadly even their leads came up empty. One old couple who milk in East Texas run Brahma bulls but are kinda shady and wont turn any calves loose, thats the closest I've come. I am trying to build a herd of Brahman x Holstein and am raising my own Holstein heifers and have a Red Brahman bull and a speckled Gir bull but it will be quite awhile before I get calves out of them. In the mean time I am still looking everywhere I can. You might try growing your own like me if you have the space and time to calve out dairy heifers. My best advice though is to try and put together a network of contacts like I have and keep calling them. You are bound to hit on something eventually.

Long ago I used to purchase Hol/Bra cross heifers from a dairy farmer who milked 1,000 head and also owned a herd of registered Red Brahma. He ran 10 bulls continuously with his dairy cows and purchased all of his replacement Hol cows. The heifers I purchased were like puppy dogs, I could go out into the pasture a midnight and walk among them and they never moved. They were great cows. He was located in west louisiana right on the texas line just north of interestate 10.

This time I would like to reduce the size of the cows and go with the Jersey/Brahma cross if I can find it or Jersey/ Brangus cross.

morancher":2xl2pjrv said:
Long ago I used to purchase Hol/Bra cross heifers from a dairy farmer who milked 1,000 head and also owned a herd of registered Red Brahma. He ran 10 bulls continuously with his dairy cows and purchased all of his replacement Hol cows. The heifers I purchased were like puppy dogs, I could go out into the pasture a midnight and walk among them and they never moved. They were great cows. He was located in west louisiana right on the texas line just north of interestate 10.

This time I would like to reduce the size of the cows and go with the Jersey/Brahma cross if I can find it or Jersey/ Brangus cross.

I would think that if a jersey cow is crossed with Brangus bull the offspring will be a not so black but shiny one and that it comes with a pair of horns. Anyone conquer me on his?

morancher":1jcdnnb5 said:
Are there any dairymen online that cross their jersey cows to either brahman or brangus bulls? I used to purchased this crossbred heifers when I lived in Louisiana but have lost touch to a source.
I know one dairyman that crosses red brahman with his jersey cattle. He wouldn't sell one though if you begged him. Has a beautiful herd of crossbreeds.

morancher":3bo1zpv4 said:

Wow that was expected a lot out of 10 little bulls.

kamalbashanasir":qadbgasy said:
morancher":qadbgasy said:

I would think that if a jersey cow is crossed with Brangus bull the offspring will be a not so black but shiny one and that it comes with a pair of horns. Anyone conquer me on his?

Not too many folks use brangus on jerseys but the few I've seen always had black calves.

TexasBred":2upum8pz said:
morancher":2upum8pz said:

Wow that was expected a lot out of 10 little bulls.

Key word being "continuously"; suggesting that the bulls, that may or may not have been little, had to breed a cow every three or four days. :compute:

ANAZAZI":1nxocat2 said:
Key word being "continuously"; suggesting that the bulls, that may or may not have been little, had to breed a cow every three or four days. :compute:

Yet most use one bull for every 25 head.

TexasBred":3w3jpoku said:
ANAZAZI":3w3jpoku said:

Yet most who keep one bull per 25 cows have concentrated calving, often to the point of having almost all cows calve in six weeks.

ANAZAZI":2tpoeyer said:
TexasBred":2tpoeyer said:
ANAZAZI":2tpoeyer said:

Yet most who keep one bull per 25 cows have concentrated calving, often to the point of having almost all cows calve in six weeks.

100% wrong. These people calve year round with August usually being the month with most cows freshening.

TexasBred":39k7jwpp said:
100% wrong. These people calve year round with August usually being the month with most cows freshening.

Exactly. A dairy needs fresh cows entering the milking string all year 'round. Not just once or twice a year.

Has anybody had experience with Jersey/Scottish Highland cross? I'm thinking about trying to breed for a milk cow that can thrive in northern winters.

AmericanNomad":2kup2pdl said:
Has anybody had experience with Jersey/Scottish Highland cross? I'm thinking about trying to breed for a milk cow that can thrive in northern winters.

Well that will definitely get you a long haired "half" milk cow anyway. Don't know how productive it would be.

can you imagine clipping the udder area so that you could find the teats?
grin.gif

Latest posts