JD skid steer parking brake

Help Support CattleToday:

AudieWyoming

Reaction score
I have a JD 250 skid steer loader with an electric rocker switch to release the parking brake. Lately the park brake would sometimes engage while driving, If I cycled the switch a couple times it would release and I could continue. Last week I wanted to use the pallet forks but when I started the loader the parking brake would not release. I decided to replace the switch but started the loader before I removed the dash, the brake released and everything worked fine.

I ordered and replaced the rocker switch yesterday but that did not help. Does anyone know what is on the other end and how it might work. You must have the park brake engaged to start, then fasten the seat belt and release the brake to move or operate the hydraulics. Anyone know how it works, I will call the shop tomorrow and speak to a mechanic. @

Does it have a seat switch on it? All the skids I've ever seen do what your saying it was because of the seat switch going bad. Its either that or maybe the ground to the rocker switch, but these are both WAG

When it is not working jump across every safety switch until you find the one not working. Could be the seat switch or the seat belt (as mentioned), or mine has a pull down bar with a switch. Don,t have a clue if yours has any others. Dirt and moisture will eventually get them all.

Thank you both very much for the replies and help. The seat belt has its own indicator light and the seat switch is with that circuit. You must complete the seat belt conection every start, but the seat appears to be a simple microswitch, easy to bypass. The brake goes to a selnoid on the hyd filter head that shuts the oil flow off. It almost has to be something simple electric but I am not finding it. I talked to the local Ag JD shop but he didn't think JD sold a skid loader so I hate to pay them to come out and look at it.

I called the Colorado shop and they were most helpful over the phone but I am in Alabama, that is an expensive service call. :nod: @

AudieWyoming":1s4e9iz3 said:
Thank you both very much for the replies and help. The seat belt has its own indicator light and the seat switch is with that circuit. You must complete the seat belt conection every start, but the seat appears to be a simple microswitch, easy to bypass. The brake goes to a selnoid on the hyd filter head that shuts the oil flow off. It almost has to be something simple electric but I am not finding it. I talked to the local Ag JD shop but he didn't think JD sold a skid loader so I hate to pay them to come out and look at it.

I called the Colorado shop and they were most helpful over the phone but I am in Alabama, that is an expensive service call. :nod: @
Since you have already replaced the rocker switch then the problem has to be with the wiring between it and the solenoid, or the solenoid itself. The solenoid is probably in the normally closed position. It opens when power is going to it. I would look at connections first. You may want to ohm out the wires or some type of continuity test. (A simple test light). The problem is they will test good when it is working so wiggle the wires while testing. You have to catch it not working. Just simply moving the wires may cause it to work again, or short out again. After using it or just a slight vibration could cause it to short again and bring you to a halt. I would start with cleaning the terminals. Inspect where the terminal clamps to the wire.

Found the solution: install a independent ground wire to purple wire #240 at rocker switch. I bought the schematic book from John Deere; unfortunately after figuring out the 12 volt live and ground coloration on the book are both shades of gray! Look for the "240" printed on the purple wire, and attach it to a separate wire running to ground. Beware that my ROPs is not grounded; you have to find a better ground connection closer to the base or battery electrode (-). By the size of the purple wire, I think Deere should have used a thicker gauge of wire to ground.

Latest posts